Omg I Just Had To Heimlich Luke!

Guest FireHorse

Guest brooke
I had just fed them both and was puttering in the kitchen peeling potatoes for us when Luke started making this weird gaspy noise. I stuck my head around the corner to see what was gong on and he was absolutely bug-eyed (you could see the whites all the way around his eyes) and pawing at his face, with his mouth wide open. I could see the end of a pig tail stuck clear in the back of his throat, but couldn't grab it. I still don't know whether the noise was choking or gagging, but it sure wasn't breathing!

I didn't even think, just reacted. I got behind him, grabbed his elbows and hoisted his front end up and put his front paws on the dining room table, then Heimliched him. It took four or five thrusts, then the pig tail popped out (and slid all the way across the table and bounced off the window curtain, then slid down behind the radiator-the comic relief portion of the event, I guess), Luke took a couple of deep whooping breaths, then growled at me because he doesn't like to be hugged, and I was still hugging him.

Jeez. *catches breath* My heart is still pounding! He's fine. Me? I'm sure my blood pressure will come back down sometime this week.

I helped him down off the table and he went back to his dinner, sans pig tail. He wasn't very happy that I wouldn't give it back, but I substituted it for a nice-easy-to-swallow blob of ground salmon.

Moral of the story: Keep an eye on your dogs when they're eating. I don't want to know what would have happened if I'd been three rooms away on the computer, with Luke gated into the dining room. And KNOW CPR.!

eta: Dear Universe, I'm all done with the drama now, thanks! Can I please have a couple boring days now in exchange?

that happened once to me. jack was eating a milk bone. first time doing doggy-heimlich for me. scared me soooo much and i'm a nurse!!