Gracie's First Dental Today (2 Yrs 11 Mos)

Guest Vinnie

Guest Vinnie

Hi All -

We noticed Gracie's upper left gum area above her pre-molar was starting to get yucky :ohno and decided we couldn't put her dental off any further. We have wanted to do one since we brought her home (8/06), however her anxiety going to the vets office has been a major issue (see photo below - this is just being in the exam room waiting). :jaw

When we went in to do the pre-op check on Friday the vet suggested that we give her a 1/2 tab of xanax to see if that would help her about an hour before we wanted to leave and that if it was not helping we could give her the other 1/2 tab about half hour later - that second tab was definitely not needed! Within 3 - 5 minutes of giving her the xanax you could physically see her relax. This was the easiest we have ever had taking her to the vet and we usually go every 6 weeks or so for nails and glands! She was so relaxed we could hardly get her to stand up and forget about jumping off our big bed - too far down in her eyes :lol It made us feel so much better to see her not stressed out.

Now we are just waiting for the call to go and get her, while she is under for her dental (and hopefully not losing her tooth) they will do her nails, glands and an ear cleaning as well. I love our vet. And even better, when we brought Gracie in, our greyt loving vet was also back (she lost her greyt shortly before we lost our Angel Vinnie - they fought so hard to help him, we really love our vets office), so we got both wonderful doc's taking care of our little Gracie Lou. Will post more after we pick her up.

And for those with anxiety stressed pups who don't like going to the vet as much as our little girl, ask your vet to give xanax a try.

post-11323-1205266057_thumb.jpg

I am so glad that things were easier for Gracie. Our Flashy has a real hard time too...he gets pretty anxious and scared.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Vinnie

Update:

WooHoo - we are going to pick her up now - she didn't lose any teeth thank goodness! She did really well and they said that she is calm and watching them from her crate - hope she's still like that when we get there.

Guest jonah305

Glad to hear that she didn't lose any teeth and she came back ok. Our vet actually let us be there when our Sammie woke up from the anesthesia after her dental last month. What an interesting experience that was. I'm glad I was there to comfort her and that the first thing she saw was her mommy and daddy's loving eyes when she started to come to.

Do you know how many milligrams of xanax the pill was? Our Kissie gets really anxious during thunderstorms and I always suggested to my wife that we give her some xanax since I have a prescription for it. Just not sure what the right dose is. My guess is .5 mg to just relax her a little an 1mg during the fourth of July, etc.

Thanks,

Bill & Johnnie

I am very Happy that all went well!!!! Love the pictures! :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Machbragal

WOOO HOOO! Good girl, Gracie! I have to take some xanax when I go to the dentist (major dental phobia), so I can relate! Hope she has a great evening back home.

Guest Vinnie
Glad to hear that she didn't lose any teeth and she came back ok. Our vet actually let us be there when our Sammie woke up from the anesthesia after her dental last month. What an interesting experience that was. I'm glad I was there to comfort her and that the first thing she saw was her mommy and daddy's loving eyes when she started to come to.

Do you know how many milligrams of xanax the pill was? Our Kissie gets really anxious during thunderstorms and I always suggested to my wife that we give her some xanax since I have a prescription for it. Just not sure what the right dose is. My guess is .5 mg to just relax her a little an 1mg during the fourth of July, etc.

Thanks,

Bill & Johnnie

I think it depends on the dogs weight - Gracie is 74.5 lbs and we gave her 1/2 of a 25mg pill - you could visibly see her relax within 3 - 5 minutes and she didn't overstress when we got there either (plus it took her all the way there to realize where we were going this time!). She did scratch at the door out when she got off the scary moving scale but that was it - no heavy panting and drooling or heartbreaking whining. I understand about the thunder storms - if I could fit under my bed that's where you would find me :lol:blush maybe I can join your pup in hiding from the storms? Hope this helps your baby as much as it did ours. It's so hard when you know they are scared and you can't find a solution. They do also have other versions of the xanax - like acepromazine and another one that sounds like that too - you can check with your vet to see if he/she has better luck with one over another.

Gracie is resting very comfortably still - very sleepy - ate like a horse in small portions - she couldn't figure out why we didn't give her all of her food at once - wanted her ice cubes out of mama's cup like normal - and just wandered back to bed without demanding that we go with her :lol

Our vet just got a new xray machine that takes pix of the whole mouth very quickly - less time for them to be under. He said her teeth are great and no sign of bone loss or any other issues. She now has beautiful pearly white teeth and pretty clipped nails (shorter than we have ever been able to get when we take her in as we usually all have to help hold and or distract her). Her mouth isn't sore and she got a new toy, so she is very happy. She was very calm after she came out of her anesthesia and everyone was loving on her, so she didn't mind that either. All I heard from the vet techs was that she is so sweet and so very soft - they couldn't keep their hands off of her.

And Beth - I understand your dentist phobia too - maybe we'll send Gracie up for your next appointment to help keep you calm :colgate

Thanks all for the good thoughts, we appreciate it. Now I think I am going to go join my little girl for a good nights sleep :wub: