Doggy Odors

Guest KipperGrey

Guest KipperGrey

I know Nita isn't a greyhound but this questions is kind of a general dog health questions.

I have read that a bad "dog" body odor can be caused by a bad diet. Nita's diet has been much improved in the few weeks she has been here. It almost seems if her odor is getting worse. I have given her 2 baths. The first one seemed to make the odor go away for a bit but in a few days she was very stinky again. She isn't an outdoor dog so its not from rolling in things outside. Could the worsening of the odor be that her body is cleansing of the bad stuff? She was being fed dry alpo and I have switched to chicken soup dry and canned and the other night she had a raw meal of chicken leg quarter.

Her teeth are also really bad and is getting a dental on Wednesday of this week. Will the bad breath go away right after the dental or does it take a while to get rid of that smell too.

There are some times she smells so bad I need to leave the area she is in. I hope it gets better soon. I have started using a baby powder scented pet cologne too. That seems to help for a short time.

Guest Willerton

Bad teeth means that when she cleans herself, she gets the bacteria and yuck from her mouth all over her body. My cat was having the same problem before he had some yucky teeth removed. I'm willing to bet the dental health and the body odor are related, and both should go away right after the teeth are cleaned.

Giving her some raw bones will help with the bad breath too. It helps my hounds by keeping their teeth nice and clean.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My greys were stinky when I first got them. After a few weeks on a raw diet the stink went away, and after a few months their coats improved dramatically.

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Guest greytexplorer

Agree with all posts thus far in your thread. :nod

Glad to see you gave your pup a chicken leg quarter. (My gyrls love that!) Does Nita get that on a regular basis?

Here, Ester is the one with the stinky breath. Well, let me tell ya, once I got her teeth cleaned, I started her on Four Paws brand Breath Treat for Dogs. Noticeable difference in a week. Between the raw feeds and the breath tabs, we have finally got her problem *licked*!!!

Which is good, because thunderstorm weather is coming, and she's a thunderphobe! :lol

Good luck with the dental on Wednesday! :D

Guest Cris_M

First, I agree with all the previous posters -- clean teeth and a raw (or partially raw) diet will make a huge difference in doggy stink.

However, you also mention that Nita isn't a greyhound so it is important to remember that she may never be as odor free as a grey can be. Most dogs have more odor than greys, and some (i.e. basset hounds who have more than the average doggie number of scent glands beneath the skin) have a LOT more.

Hopefully, Nita will get to where she smells much, much better very soon.

Guest JarBear

My little terrier stinks when she gets a skin infection. I don't know what causes it but she gets one every couple of years. A week of antibiotics and she's fine and smells good again.