Shredded Pads - Help, Please!

Yesterday we let Logan (finally) run full tilt. (We've had him since December)

We got back to the house he had his supper and water and went to sleep. This morning I saw his bed was full of bloody footprints. Sure enough his pads on 2 feet were almost "shredded looking" and bleeding :(

I washed all his feet carefully (enduring the shrieks), peroxided them and put pad protector on them. I wasn't sure if I should Polysporin them, too. I'm not sure if it's harmful if he licks it and I didn't want to cover the wounds because I wanted to let the air get to them.

Needless to say he hasn't moved much all day and when we just went out for our walk now (what a trooper the guy is) I just had him do his thing and we came back in. I then washed again, peroxided and pad stuff'd again.

How do I help him? What can I do immediately to relieve him of the pain? (it MUST be painful - I know what it's like to walk around on blistered feet - I can only imagine what 4 of 'em feel like).

And, in the long run more importantly, how do I prevent this from happening again? Is there a way to strengthen the pads. Please don't tell me never to let him run - he was so beautiful and he was enjoying himself so very much.

Any help and/or advice would be greytly appreciated!!!

Donna

(and a very sad Logan)

Oh No! :( Poor Logan. Was he running on concrete? I have never encountered this kind of problem so I have no advice. Just sending healing thoughts and many hugs your way. :wub::grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest carebear530

Poor puppy. :( It does take a while for their feet to get used to the harder surfaces. Lora's have never been that bad, but a part of her pad was ripped off when she was running in the yard last winter. I kept them clean & put bag balm on them. I also put little booties on her when she went outside until they healed a little bit.

Heal quickly Logan.

I would not run him again on those rough surfaces. He will heal and then be very careful to only run on grass or sand areas. I wouldn't use peroxide on the pads either... neosporine will not hurt them if they lick it.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

My first question is have the pads stop bleeding?

If so then good and you are on the right track. I would continue to clean them and put some kind of ointment on them. I would let them get air in the house when he is sleeping. When he goes outside to potty keep him on a leash only and put the booties on his feet. Sounds like he might have weak pads or something might have cut them up while he was running. If you find anything to strengthen pads let me know! I have been through a cut pad twice with Jake and now when he goes outside to run I make him where booties. Two times at the e-vet for cut pads, stitches and super glue was enough for me.

Healing thoughts to Logan! :grouphug

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Poor puppy.  :(  It does take a while for their feet to get used to the harder surfaces.  Lora's have never been that bad, but a part of her pad was ripped off when she was running in the yard last winter.  I kept them clean & put bag balm on them.  I also put little booties on her when she went outside until they healed a little bit. 

Heal quickly Logan.

1468001[/snapback]

So they will/could toughen up (eventually) ?

I would not run him again on those rough surfaces.  He will heal and then be very careful to only run on grass or sand areas.  I wouldn't use peroxide on the pads either... neosporine will not hurt them if they lick it.

1468017[/snapback]

Oh you can count on us never going to that park again!! Grass and/sand only will be ok? (if the poor guy still wants to run after this ordeal!!)

OK no peroxide (I guess it's too drying?) and I will get neosporin for him tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Thanks Patricia, your healing thoughts are appreciated especially during your time of problems with Lacey Laine!

He was running on a lot of stuff - the dog park is concrete, loose gravel, sand, dirt, ashpalt etc. etc.

1467986[/snapback]

Awww...poor baby. I hope he heals quickly. Kiss him for me...oh...and I know what you mean...they take your breath away when they run. I am sure that with time his little pads will toughen up. :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest carebear530
Poor puppy.  :(  It does take a while for their feet to get used to the harder surfaces.  Lora's have never been that bad, but a part of her pad was ripped off when she was running in the yard last winter.  I kept them clean & put bag balm on them.  I also put little booties on her when she went outside until they healed a little bit. 

Heal quickly Logan.

1468001[/snapback]

So they will/could toughen up (eventually) ?

1468021[/snapback]

Yeah. I wouldn't let him run on them for a while though. Then start slowly & take him for short walks on harder surfaces. I am surprised the dog park wouldn't be grass though. That seems like they are asking for torn up paws. I would use a grassy space for all out runs if possible. The pads will get tougher for walks on harder surfaces, but I'm not sure if all out running on that surface is good. Sand & grass will be fine after he heals. Lora does run on concrete with me, but she doesn't turn the way she does when she runs all out.

By the way the booties Lora wore were about $7 at Petco. They are light,but have a thin layer of leather on the bottoms. They were the only kind she would leave on. For a couple minutes anyway! :P

Edited by carebear530

Poor Logan! I've heard of this happening with dogs running on hard tennis courts ... :(

There is something called Tuff Foot or some such name. You wouldn't want to use it till they've healed, perhaps, but I've heard good things. Apparently Search and Rescue dogs have really been helped by this product.

Here you go - not cheap I think, but maybe worth it.

Tuff Foot

I hope he heals fast. I think I'd let a vet take a look, too, if they're that bad.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

If so then good and you are on the right track.  I would continue to clean them and put some kind of ointment on them.  I would let them get air in the house when he is sleeping.  When he goes outside to potty keep him on a leash only and put the booties on his feet.  Sounds like he might have weak pads or something might have cut them up while he was running.  If you find anything to strengthen pads let me know!  I have been through a cut pad twice with Jake and now when he goes outside to run I make him where booties.  Two times at the e-vet for cut pads, stitches and super glue was enough for me. 

Healing thoughts to Logan!  :grouphug

1468020[/snapback]

Yes they have stopped mostly. I can see/hear him licking at them and then investigate and they are very red and tender but the actual "dripping blood" (sorry) is over. Kinda like a skinned knee now.

Oh DoG - not the booties! He HATES his booties. And acts like he would probably prefer to walk through a bed of broken glass than wear his booties....

We'll try, though...

2 Silly questions - what's an e-vet? and were the cut pads, stitches and super glue part and parcel of the same injury?

(Hm - I'm materials manager of a hospital - maybe I can get some of that "people super glue - would that help??)

Guest IndyTwister

Yep, peroxide will dry out the wound and kill off good tissue. Some antibiotic ointment and keeping them clean should work. I doubt he'll let it stop him from running again once he's healed up. :)

Poor Logan!  I've heard of this happening with dogs running on hard tennis courts ... :(

There is something called Tuff Foot or some such name.  You wouldn't want to use it till they've healed, perhaps, but I've heard good things.  Apparently Search and Rescue dogs have really been helped by this product.

Here you go - not cheap I think, but maybe worth it.

Tuff Foot

I hope he heals fast.  I think I'd let a vet take a look, too, if they're that bad.

1468034[/snapback]

I'll check out that Tuff Foot - thanks!

And I will tke him to the vet tomorrow just to make sure everything is cleaned out properly. I did it the best I could with DH holding him while he (Logan that is :lol )shrieked in my ear. I'm really gonna have to change my GT name to Wikkid Witch .

Yep, peroxide will dry out the wound and kill off good tissue.  Some antibiotic ointment and keeping them clean should work.  I doubt he'll let it stop him from running again once he's healed up. :)

1468044[/snapback]

Thanks! Phew - we've just booked our summer vacation around Logan :)

A week at a greyhound friendly B&B and then off to Dog Mountain in VT for their annual "Dog Party".

He'll do a lot of running - so I've got to get him healed up for July

:)

If so then good and you are on the right track.  I would continue to clean them and put some kind of ointment on them.  I would let them get air in the house when he is sleeping.  When he goes outside to potty keep him on a leash only and put the booties on his feet.  Sounds like he might have weak pads or something might have cut them up while he was running.  If you find anything to strengthen pads let me know!  I have been through a cut pad twice with Jake and now when he goes outside to run I make him where booties.  Two times at the e-vet for cut pads, stitches and super glue was enough for me. 

Healing thoughts to Logan!   :grouphug

1468020[/snapback]

Yes they have stopped mostly. I can see/hear him licking at them and then investigate and they are very red and tender but the actual "dripping blood" (sorry) is over. Kinda like a skinned knee now.

Oh DoG - not the booties! He HATES his booties. And acts like he would probably prefer to walk through a bed of broken glass than wear his booties....

We'll try, though...

2 Silly questions - what's an e-vet? and were the cut pads, stitches and super glue part and parcel of the same injury?

(Hm - I'm materials manager of a hospital - maybe I can get some of that "people super glue - would that help??)

1468037[/snapback]

No such thing as a silly question. An e-vet is an emergency vet that is open usually 7 days a week 24 hours a day. During the summer Jake was out running in my backyard, which is grass and dirt. When he stopped running I noticed he was picking his on foot up and saw blood dripping from one of his pads. Naturally this happened on a Saturday afternoon and my regular vet wasn't open. So off to the e-vet since the blood flow wasn't stopping. They had to put him under and cut a flap of the pad that was hanging off and then stitch the two ends together. He was put on bed rest for about two weeks with short leash walks only. After 12 days the stitches where removed and he was good as new.

Then just recently, Jake was out in the backyard running and cut open another pad. It was later at night around 6:30 or so and my regular vet wasn't open. So off to the e-vet again. He was given a local to numb his foot and they stitched the cut shut with about two stitches and super glued the rest shut.

Jake also hates his booties and I have a little bit of trouble keeping them on his feet when he gets going! He is really fast!! However, I think the booties are a small price to pay over the same thing happening again. I have been over the backyard many times and haven't anything that he could cut himself on.

I agree with others that he shouldn't run on anything other then grass or sand or dirt. You may find that he is fine on grass and won't have a problem again. Or in my case you may find that he has weak pads in general.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest LynnM

If you have active dogs, you're going to deal with blown pads on a relatively regular basis. When I have a dog running in field trials, his feet are always wrapped (vetwrap & elastikon) in the summer once the ground is dry. I don't usually wrap if the ground is soft (Joplin's long ago ripped both of his dewclaws off, so much for getting the vet to do it!).

If your only option for free running is rough terrain, you might want to wrap his legs (have someone show you how.... too loose doesn't do any good and too tight puts the feet in unnatural positions that can also lead to injury).

As for his current state of affairs, from now on only use soap and water, dilute Nolvasan or dilute Betadine. I wish there would be a BIG sign on peroxide bottles that says, "For inducing vomiting or hair bleaching ONLY". There is a good product out there called "Cut Heal" that's available at feed stores that you can dab on. I don't like using Neosporin type ointments on uncovered wounds because they tend to encourage licking (they taste good to dogs). I wouldn't cover the pads with anything while they heal unless they're still oozing. A little pain will keep him off his feet for a day or two until fresh new skin starts to form.

Lynn

Lynn

I wouldn't cover the pads with anything while they heal unless they're still oozing. A little pain will keep him off his feet for a day or two until fresh new skin starts to form.

Lynn

1468213[/snapback]

Lynn

thanks for some good info. I will fix up his greyt 1st aid kit with your recommendations. Would you suggest I take him outside with "bare feet" or should I (try to) use his "winter" boots. I'm just worried that even the act of putting the boot on will cause him more distress.

Thanks

Donna

Guest Aushegun

It has been my experience that blacktop or concrete will shred a running Greys pads in minutes.

Back in the 90's the kennel next to the one I was working in, had their turn out pen get opened by one of the dogs. (this was the gate to the "outside"; as it seems the sand replacement guys had just come and forgot to put the lock back on)

We suddenly there are 30 male greyhounds running around the whole complex taking a "victory lap". All the kennels stopped what they were doing, and we all rushed out to gather the loose dogs.

Within 5 minutes of the "jailbreak" all the dogs were collared and returned to their kennel. Unfortunately, nearly Every dog had shreded their paws on the black top.; including the current track champ.

A few weeks of vacation, and some ointment, and the puppers were all back racing within a month.

But be careful..that blacktop is NASTY, and for a dog with soft pads, used only to running on dirt/clay..it can be brutal.

Edited by Aushegun

If pup will cooperate, a nice soak in epsom salts solution 2-3 times per day would be good. I don't make pup stand up, I just slip a plastic bag under the foot (so as not to get bed wet); dip a washcloth or small towel in my solution; and wrap sopping wet cloth around foot. Administer tummy rub for 5-10 minutes, remove wet cloth, rinse gently with fresh water, blot dry.

For short walks outside on dry days, try baby socks. They make some fat terry tube socks for infants, and those work great. A little vetwrap or paper tape around the ankle helps 'em stay on.

Don't worry, pads will heal, might seem slow at first, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

We use bag balm and baby booties on cracked pads here. We out the bag balm on each pad, and have them wear baby socks with bit of vet wrap on the top to hold them up.

Hope your puppers feet heal up soon.

We use bag balm and baby booties on cracked pads here.  We out the bag balm on each pad, and have them wear baby socks with bit of vet wrap on the top to hold them up. 

Hope your puppers feet heal up soon.

1468699[/snapback]

I'm off to buy baby socks today. Hope nobody catches me in the baby department or there might be some explaining to do....

:gmark

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
I'm off to buy baby socks today. Hope nobody catches me in the baby department or there might be some explaining to do....

:gmark

1468704[/snapback]

If you can find ones with little grippies on the bottom, it will keep the socks from sliding on linoleum or tile. Good Luck. Go incognito if you have to :ph34r

Another silly question....but do you think American greyhounds have thinner, more delicate skin than English ones? Both the greys I have had, and dozens at the rescue kennels where I walked dogs for years, never suffered from cut pads despite walking and running on concrete and tarmac roads. My current grey regularly walks and runs along the tarmac track leading to the riverbank but never suffers any paw damage. Maybe we build them up gradually from youngsters to road walking etc. more than happens over there, do you think?

Sue from England