Greyhound Epilepsy Study

Guest Peanut

Guest WhithersMom

We have just adopted a greyhound named Gracie, and we knew there was a possibility of her having seizures when we got her. Last night, she seized, and we sat with her doing as much as we could while the seizure ran its course. We have a vet appointment for her Tuesday, so we will be seeing what the situation is. She is a perfect little girl in every other way, but supposedly her previous owners returned her for work reasons, not the seizures, and claimed that they were infrequent and did not require medication.

My knowledge of seizures in humans is pretty basic...enough to know about the different types and that it causes the person to be disoriented for a while after and tired, all of which we saw last night. We want to keep her, since it is not her fault she is this way and is wonderful to have around when she is fine (95%) of the time. However, more info would be helpful for me to be able to help her.

If doing the survey will help us help you help us, by all means, send it to me.

--Deb

I am owned by two greyhounds that have epilepsy; one of which is extremely unstable. In hopes of finding answers and gaining insight into greyhounds with epilepsy, I am conducting a research study in Natalie's honor (my greyhound). Some of you are familiar with Natalie and the struggle we've had to make sense of her epilepsy and to gain control of the seizure monster. If you are not, I'd be happy to share the store with you. Natalie is my heart and I fear for the day she will no longer be a part of my life.

If you are owned by a greyhound who experiences epilepsy, even 1 seizure, please contact me. I have a simple questionnaire to send to you for you to complete. The data collected in the questionnaire will hopefully help us find correlations to the many greyhounds that are suffering from epilepsy. All information will remain confidential.

Please pm me to receive the questionnaire. Also, share this information with any other greyhound people you know that might be experiencing epilepsy with their greyhound. The more data collected the more knowledge we'll gain.

For the Hounds!

Gen, Natalie & Peanut (my epi girls)

crowscall@aol.com

When you pm me, please include your email address and I'll email you the questionnaire! Thank you to everyone who has already offered to complete it!

That sounds very familiar. Gracie was also a bounce back, and she also seized for the first time a week later. She is awful sweet though. Hopefully, the vet will be able to find something.

Hi,

I have two greyhounds, one with epilepsy. Misty has had it almost from the beginning. She was a bounce back that I took and she had her first seizure about a week later. She has stabilized on Phenyl after about 6 months. Her blood initially showed some liver issues. I will have to get her work up to jar my memory. But the trick was to administer the phenyl without damaging her liver. Oddly enough, after some months her liver returned to normal and we upped her meds from 2 tablets to 3 tablets a day. She has been seizure free for 1 and a half years.

I would be glad to participate in your survey.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I found Greytalk. We too have a Grey that seizes. His name is Como, and his seizures started last May. At first, we thought they were due to having our front lawn treated with fertilizer, but now there seems to be no rhyme or reason to their cause. They were also occurring at regular intervals for a period of time, but now seem to be irregular and sometimes closer together. Sometimes he will only have one, other times 3 in one day. We have 5 dogs - the other 4 are of various breeds. One of them, a Miniature Snoodle will attack Como during his seizures, and another dog (a Beagle/Australian Cattledog Mix) will bark constantly. We have not yet put Como on medication. We have previously had a mixed breed dog with epilepsy, and know what it is like if we ever were late giving medication. We also know how hard it will be to get the proper dosage for a Grey and would rather not put Como through that if it could be prevented. We are thinking of trying a supplement first that I have heard has had some success at controlling seizures. It is called Stem Enhance. Has anyone on Greytalk heard of or used this supplement? If so, I would like some feedback.

I too, would like a questionaire....d_two@sbcglobal.net.

Deetwo & Como

Edited by Deetwo

Guest my2greys

Hi All,

We have a nongrey that is having seizures - cluster seizures to be exact. If anyone has a cluster seizure dog and would like to share PM me and I'll give you my email.

We've been trying some things including Gluten, Casein, Corn and Soy free diet etc.

THanks.

Laura

Guest Lizzi3Gr8Greys

Hello All,

I am owned by three Gr8 Greyhounds. Cosmo our 3 year old male, is at the vet as we speak. He had a seizure last night wich we thought was his first but now know it was his second. He had his 1st seizure exactly 12 days ago at roughly midnight. Then last night at 5:50pm he had his second seizure, wich lasted 6 min. I rushed him to the vet and he's there for 24 hours observation. The Vet called me at 12:50 last night to inform me that Cosmo had a verey violent seizure at 12:20. They gave him Phenobarbital and as of just a few min ago when the vet called back he has not had anymore seizures. This is all new to us, the other two are older and have not had any health problems. I am a wreck and can't think straight, these greys are like my children. What kinds of questions do I need to ask the Vet? My mind is racing and don't want to ovewhelm the vet with stupid questions. The vet that called this morning said he has epilepsy. What causes epilepsy? Are there diffrent kinds of seizures? I know in humans there are like Gran Mal and a number of others, but what about greys? From what I've read on the board here there are a few others. How do I know what kind he is having? Will the vet know or do we have to run more tests? If anyone can help me to get my head on straight before I go to get him tonight, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Amber

Edited by Lizzi3Gr8Greys

Guest Lizzi3Gr8Greys
I am owned by two greyhounds that have epilepsy; one of which is extremely unstable. In hopes of finding answers and gaining insight into greyhounds with epilepsy, I am conducting a research study in Natalie's honor (my greyhound). Some of you are familiar with Natalie and the struggle we've had to make sense of her epilepsy and to gain control of the seizure monster. If you are not, I'd be happy to share the store with you. Natalie is my heart and I fear for the day she will no longer be a part of my life.

If you are owned by a greyhound who experiences epilepsy, even 1 seizure, please contact me. I have a simple questionnaire to send to you for you to complete. The data collected in the questionnaire will hopefully help us find correlations to the many greyhounds that are suffering from epilepsy. All information will remain confidential.

Please pm me to receive the questionnaire. Also, share this information with any other greyhound people you know that might be experiencing epilepsy with their greyhound. The more data collected the more knowledge we'll gain.

For the Hounds!

I copied and pasted the questionnaire and will get it filled out and sent to you asap. Thank you for doing this, I'm sure it will be of great help to all.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest my4greyhounds

For the Hounds!

For the Hounds!

Hi I have a 10 year old greyhound who in the past month has had 2 seizures and slight bloody nose. The vet did a tick panel on her and said she had elevated titers on Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. She is now being treated with phenobarbitol and doxi.Do you have any insight on this? When I first got Fifi 6 years ago she had was also treated for a tick disease with doxi.

Is your questionnaire related to the study at the Canine Epilepsy Network? http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/

If it is, fine. If it isn't, I'll make a post on Greytalk about CEN's program, their request for samples, etc. The more researchers there are, the sooner there's help.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• 1 month later...
Guest MaxwellEdison

Hi,

Max would like to fill your questionnaire. The first siezure he had- that we know of- happened near a short set of stairs. We thought that maybe he had slipped or tripped on them, scaring and hurting himself. However I had a German shorthair with epilepsy and recognized it, though I had hoped otherwise. We took Max directly to an emergency vet who only treated for a pulled muscle, which Im not sure he even had. The second one I saw him slip (we have some hardwood floors) and it seemed to cause the siezure, since he went directly from play to slip to siezure. One other small one and then one upstairs in the hall. He was not under any control at all, just stiff and scared, toes turned under, unable to move-although theres carpet where he was that time (a good thing I suppose). I took him to a different vet who ran the "standard tests" and put him on Phenobarbitol, which I expected. We havent seen a siezure since, but keep and eye out. These all happened in the space of less than 6 weeks. We asked the previous owner who told us they hadnt seen any problems. Hmmm. Anyway, Max seems fine for now. Ill post a related question as a separate thread about coordination.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest handpicked

Hi, Gen!! I am fairly new here, but would be interested in filling out your epilepsy questionnaire. I am a veterinarian who is owned by 10 greyhounds and has lost one to seizures. I have also fostered a grey with epilepsy. My email is handpicked@embarqmail.com. Thanks for what you are doing.

Guest clickmd

For the Hounds!

Guest clickmd

Hi, Gen. We've adopted Volt, a 2.5 year-old greyhound, a month ago. The paperwork stated he might have had a seizure at the track awhile ago. Per Rescue people, he had no seizures since they had them (and that was since October 2009). Today (2/27/2010) Volt had a Grand Mal seizure. So, I am surfing internet now educating myself. I truly appreciate all the words of wisdom and encouragement posted here.

I would be more than happy to fill out the questionnaire.

Constantin

my e-mail is clickmd@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Brindled_Greys

I don't know if this applies, but we had to have our 13 year old put down last Sept. She had some sort of stroke, seizure, or something, but it was very odd. The right side of her body was rigid. You couldn't bend her legs at all. She lost bladder and bowl control, and it looked like she couldn't close her right eye. Even after getting her to the vet, she was still in the same condition. They gave her some valium so she would calm down (she was panicky cause she couldn't get up), and we were able to be with her for a bit. He said it was hard to tell if she would recover, and we felt it was time because of her age. She had actually almost quit eating a month or so before that. Each day, I would sit and hand feed her kibble. Almost like she knew something wasn't right. Still, she continued to seem happy, and would bounce around the yard. This came on very suddenly. In the middle of the night in fact.

Just thought I'd offer this in case you thought it might apply.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I haven't read all the posts and I don't have a dog w/ epilepsy right now. But I have a friend who has a yorkie who has a lot of grand mal seizures and the vet put Stella on Keppra - a human epilepsy drug. Just thought I'd throw that out. Sorry if it's been covered before, but better twice than never.

Connie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest athenasmama

When you pm me, please include your email address and I'll email you the questionnaire! Thank you to everyone who has already offered to complete it!

I am also new here (again) I was a member a few years ago and lost my way to GreyTalk, but now I am back. My grey, Athena, also has seizures. Please let me know of any info you would like to have. I came back here to get advice about her seizures so I would love to help anyway I can.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jbnova

Don't know if you are still collecting information. My grey, Atticus will be three at the end of May. Since we adopted him last July he has had seizures in November, January, February at which time his phenobarbital dose was increased. He stayed seizure free for 9 weeks, but then on April 23, he had four seizures within 2 hours, at which time we took him to the emergency vet, where he continued to seize even with the treatments. They loaded him on potassium bromide, and so far so good. He is also having acupuncture treatments and taking three Chinese herbs for his liver, seizures and to calm him. He has a very high energy level and can be difficult at times. At this time we are hoping that this combination of meds will keep his seizue activity to less than one per month, with no cluster activity.

• 2 months later...
Guest Pandasmom

Not sure if your are still doing the study but my 3 year old grey just had a seizure last night and then again this am. The emergency vet is going to meet me in a bit. It's so scary. If you still want my info I'll be glad to send it along.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest greytpawz

For the Hounds!

I have a Grey that I adopted 3 weeks ago and I know is a seizure dog. She had her first seizures yesterday since coming to live here. She had 3. She had another just this morning, tho not as severe as yesterdays. I would fill out your questionaire if you are still doing this study.

Mikki & (relax later) Jett

• 4 weeks later...
Guest myjd65

For the Hounds!

Guest myjd65

Hi, I am the owner of three greyhounds; Xena who is 7, Gabriel is 4 and Riley is 2 1/2. On Wednesday night my partner and I were going to out for a walk. Gabriel walked toward me and fell into the couch. He was having a seizure. It was a small one. The seiaure was very quick only lasted about 30 seconds. We knew about seizures because our pitbull Jake has had seizure most of his life. Jake is now 13. Anyway, we thought Gabe was fine. On Thursday morning I left for work at 5:30AM. My partner call me at 6:30AM and said Gabriel has another seizure but this was a cluster seizure. She didn't go to work and was going to take Gabriel to the vet at 1PM. Then Gabriel had another seizure at 11:15AM. My partner took Gabriel to the vet for his appointment. Our vet is very experienced with greyhounds. She ran blood tests; tested for Addisons disease and lyme disease too. Yesterday (Friday)we found out that he doesn't have Addisions but the lyme test did not come back yet. Gabriel is now in Potassium Brominde. He is taking 3600 ML per day for 5 days and then on the 6th day he will do down to 1200 ML per day.

I would like to know if I could fill out your questionaire and also if you have any information for us.

Thank you in advance for listening.

Alena

• 2 months later...
Guest cyndiandsaoirse

Hi! We had what we think was a seizure this summer. Saoirse and I were walking and it was- as usual here in Atlanta- hot as hell. It's pretty shady in our neighborhood, so I took her out for a short walkie at 8pm. She had been walking for 5 minutes and then I noticed her feet sounded funny, like they were scraping. Turned around, and she was staggering, then laid down in the yard, looking glassy-eyed. She was not responsive to me for several minutes. My vet agrees with me (I was an EMT, so these are symptoms we would see in humans) that it was a seizure.

Thankfully, has not done it since. She is 12, and now dealing with a thyroid tumor. But I think her seizure was heat-related, although we don't know for sure.

Hope this helps you. On an interesting side note: Saoirse is solid white, like your baby. Coincidence?

post-23095-038167700 1289160391_thumb.jpg

Chip was placed into a home for over a year and recently bounced. His mom could no longer cope with the emotional and financial burden of his seizures which were increasing in frequency to nearly weekly. He had been a single dog and her daughter had recently moved out so Chip spent his days alone frequently. She walked him regularly and adored the boy and tried to do her best to keep him well.

We have had him now 40 days and he has been seizure free. He had only been on two weeks of potassium bromide when we got him and our vet (same that mom used) said it takes about a month to become completely effective, and he was taking phenobarb 2 twice daily, prednisone and fluconizole twice daily. Since we've had him he has continued with the potassium bromide, reduced the phenobarb to 1 twice daily, eliminated the pred and continued with the fluconizole. He has been on a strict diet: Natural Balance Venison, cooked veggies and beef. He's lost 9 pounds and is now at 70.5#, he's alert, active and a happy four year old. He loves human company and is starting to interact more with the hounds he's around. He's been to the dog park several times and seems to thoroughly enjoy romping and running with the other hounds -we stay in an isolated training area without other breeds. He's attended high stimulation meet n greets and regularly meets the public. We started him on Revolution with no ill effect. I've asked about introducing milk thistle but the vet wants 60 days on this restricted diet before we try anything new - she has been wonderfully supportive and concerned about this boy and we are very greytful for her help.

Of course we may not be out of the woods but we think that the interaction with the other greys and keeping him engaged and active along with the weight loss and controlled diet have surely helped. We suspect that his previous Mom was treating him with Old Roy biscuits at bed time.

I am a co-foster of this fabulous boy and have loved him since the day we rescued him from the Tucson track vet two years ago. Most greys are irresistible to me but this oaf just brings tears to my eyes :) I lost my 7 year old heart dog, to a stroke while she was in my arms in August - she suffered from optic seizures and erlichia.

I have learned so much wonderful info on GT about seizures and hound health and I can't thank everyone enough for sharing their sometimes very painful stories. GT also directed me to the Epi Gaurdian Angel site which is full of very helpful info - including this philosophy: let him live life to the fullest and treasure every single moment! Chip goofing around

Best of luck to you all and thanks for supporting each other.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest xraychick

Our Dash started having seizures in June. They got so bad, he was put on pheno. He also has hind leg weakness. He drags his back legs and sometimes they go out on him. He is 7, blook work is all normal, he eats and drinks normal. we are so worried about him. He still plays and runs around fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ronniebon

For the Hounds!

Hi I suspect my young female greyhound has epilepsy - it started about 2 months ago and yesterday she literally colapsed on the floor whilst i was walking her. Am taking her to the vets today to check it out. Pleas email me your questionnaire so I can complete it. My email address is sadies@country-properties.co.uk. Many thanks

• 4 weeks later...

My three-year-old, Henry, had his first seizure last week. Seems like it may have been a fluke thing. We haven't experienced any other problems before or since. But because of this, I'm very interested in epilepsy in greys. I'd very much like to participate in your survey.

• 1 month later...