Greyhound Epilepsy Study

Guest Peanut

Guest Peanut

I apologize for not responding to emails. Things are crazy... I've lost both my seizure girls and I have a VERY unstable seizure foster at the moment.

Please pull the questionnaire from here and email it to me at g_manders@yahoo.com and we'll add your information in.

In speaking with the Neurology department at the Univ. of Tenn. today, Greyhounds are not on the list of dogs known for having unknown causes of seizures. The amount of responses I've received, it certainly feels different than that. But, then my query is limited to only greyhounds.

So, if you know someone who's greyhound has had a seizure or more than one seizure, please send them this way! The more data we can collect, the more we can figure out what is happening.

Thank you & hugs to all your pups!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GreyhoundMama

Oh, Gen, I'm so sorry for your losses! :( My two greyhounds (six and nine years of age) have never seized. One of my Italian greyhounds had his first seizure a few weeks ago, and I'm just hoping and praying it was a one-time thing.

Best of luck with your study, and with your current foster!

• 1 month later...
Guest Raceway
When you pm me, please include your email address and I'll email you the questionnaire! Thank you to everyone who has already offered to complete it!

My grey Lucy just had her first encounter with epilepsiy. Came out of nowhere. She was just relaxing on the couch and got down and it just happened. None since.

When you pm me, please include your email address and I'll email you the questionnaire! Thank you to everyone who has already offered to complete it!

My grey Lucy just had her first encounter with epilepsiy. Came out of nowhere. She was just relaxing on the couch and got down and it just happened. None since.

Eisen1275@comcast.net

• 5 months later...

Hi Peanut

Im new to this site as i have been trying to find out about epilesy in greyhounds...i recently became a greyhound fostercarer and of course adopted my first foster!!(how could i resist!!) his name is scotty and he is an ex racer...he raced for approx 2 years and in this time had about 56 races (from what i have been able to search out)...Scotty had a seizure a month ago now...i was able to get him to my vet within 20 mins of the episode and have bloods done (we initially thought it may have been related to his blood sugar levels but ruled this out) i have now been told that he most probably has epilepsy. i have also been told that there is a slight chance that this may have been an isloated seizure and he may or may not have more (which is not a lot of help to us!) we were offered medication (Phenobarbatone<-spelling?) but i declined until such time as he has further episodes. (my 15 yr old son has epilespy so siezures are a common thing in our house so i feel i have enough basic understanding of the condition to monitor scotty and see where his leads us....any way i spose after all this rambling i would be more than happy to fill out your questionaire(even though at this point he has only had one seizure)

ktrewin@bigpond.net.au

thanks for your interest

kylea and scotty (we also have a fox terrier X - roxxy and always have fosters - at the moment our foster is rufus)

Edited by Roxxy

Hi Peanut

Im new to this site as i have been trying to find out about epilesy in greyhounds...i recently became a greyhound fostercarer and of course adopted my first foster!!(how could i resist!!) his name is scotty and he is an ex racer...he raced for approx 2 years and in this time had about 56 races (from what i have been able to search out)...Scotty had a seizure a month ago now...i was able to get him to my vet within 20 mins of the episode and have bloods done (we initially thought it may have been related to his blood sugar levels but ruled this out) i have now been told that he most probably has epilepsy. i have also been told that there is a slight chance that this may have been an isloated seizure and he may or may not have more (which is not a lot of help to us!) we were offered medication (Phenobarbatone<-spelling?) but i declined until such time as he has further episodes. (my 15 yr old son has epilespy so siezures are a common thing in our house so i feel i have enough basic understanding of the condition to monitor scotty and see where his leads us....any way i spose after all this rambling i would be more than happy to fill out your questionaire(even though at this point he has only had one seizure)

ktrewin@bigpond.net.au

thanks for your interest

kylea and scotty (we also have a fox terrier X - roxxy and always have fosters - at the moment our foster is rufus)

Kylea... I'm so sorry to hear about Scotty's seizure. The questionaire is in a posting above. However, I will go ahead and email it to you. I'm continuing to collect data and because of the small response, I will continue to collect for some time. (Don't get me wrong, small response is good!!)

feel free to email me at gencfg@gmail.com with any questions

Take care! ~ Gen

I'm looking for info too on my 12 year old greyhound which colapsed with a seizure on our walk which he loves. Im 5ft nothing and 120 lbs but I was able to get him to my car about a half mile away and to the vet who is keeping him overnight. Buddy blood sugar was v.v.low and he now wants to find out why - just a seizure which might never happen again or tumors on the liver or pancreas which are difficult to treat.

Does anyone had words of wisdom for me - any questions I should ask the Vet?

Deen

I'm looking for info too on my 12 year old greyhound which colapsed with a seizure on our walk which he loves. Im 5ft nothing and 120 lbs but I was able to get him to my car about a half mile away and to the vet who is keeping him overnight. Buddy blood sugar was v.v.low and he now wants to find out why - just a seizure which might never happen again or tumors on the liver or pancreas which are difficult to treat.

Deen

Deen,

Our greyhound, Cullen, started seizing in March of this year. He was about to turn 8 at the time. We're trying to figure out why and we just found out that his blood sugar is very gradually getting lower every time we test. We are also wondering if he has tumors on the pancreas or liver and are going to do some diagnostics along those lines. Your vet is very sharp to have picked up the low blood sugar connection so quickly. He or she will do good by you. Insulinoma is a strong possibility.

Gen, I'm sorry to hear there is such a small response to the survey. How about a quick announcement on the boards -- if that's allowed -- asking for participation? Might get some new folks involved....

Marcia in CT

Deen

Deen,

Our greyhound, Cullen, started seizing in March of this year. He was about to turn 8 at the time. We're trying to figure out why and we just found out that his blood sugar is very gradually getting lower every time we test. We are also wondering if he has tumors on the pancreas or liver and are going to do some diagnostics along those lines. Your vet is very sharp to have picked up the low blood sugar connection so quickly. He or she will do good by you. Insulinoma is a strong possibility.

Gen, I'm sorry to hear there is such a small response to the survey. How about a quick announcement on the boards -- if that's allowed -- asking for participation? Might get some new folks involved....

Marcia in CT

Thank you Marcia for your response.

Unfortunately I had to make the toughest decision of all for Buddy ... despite the best medical care, he was continuing to seizure, was getting increasing doses of Valium to keep him comfortable, his lungs filling up with fluids, heart failing. Couldnt say if he perhaps had a brain tumor which was causing the seizure and therefore the low blood sugar or if it was the low blood sugar (for what reason they dont know) was causing the seizures. They did ultrasounds for tumors on his liver, and pancreas - none that could be seen - various x'rays. The drs. were completely baffled as to why the sudden drop in glucose level. With the number of seizures he had had it was possible he had brain damage too thus his quality of life even if he had come out of the seizure phase would have been minimal. The last time I saw Buddy he seemed quite "out of it" - didnt recognize/respond to my voice or touch - dr. said a few more hours or days more at best so I sat with Buddy's head in my lap while they put him to sleep. I couldnt see letting him suffer any longer without any hope of recovery.

Deen

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TurboBlueRambo2

Hi Natalie - I am not able to PM yet but if you could email me at janel4776@yahoo.com I would be more than happy to participate as I have a 9year old grey who has seizures, it started less than 6 months after we adopted him (he was 3 1/2 when we adopted him) and he has pretty much been a mystery to 3 veterinarians so I can sympathize with what you are going through and would love to help.

Hi Natalie - I am not able to PM yet but if you could email me at janel4776@yahoo.com I would be more than happy to participate as I have a 9year old grey who has seizures, it started less than 6 months after we adopted him (he was 3 1/2 when we adopted him) and he has pretty much been a mystery to 3 veterinarians so I can sympathize with what you are going through and would love to help.

Gen I am sorry I got your name wrong in my last post.

When Blue had his first seizure he was taken to the vet right away and they did the blood work etc, his glucose was off too and the numbers for his liver were off and were that way for about a year but the vet never suggested to do anything, just kept taking him back every 3 months to be rechecked. One vet thought he had leukemia and wanted to do a spinal tap, I thought they were completely crazy for thinking that. I was just told by someone to have his thyroid checked that it could have been his thyroid all along but not one vet every suggested that either and I guess I wouldn't have thought of it myself. It is kind of a comfort in a sense that I am not alone in this because these seizures are scary and I feel so bad for him when it happens.

Dear Gen - I have a grey who has mild seizures. Be glad to fill out your questionnaire, but can't seem to email you. My email is nunnpd@bellsouth.net - Phyllis Nunn, North Carolina

• 4 months later...
Guest Peanut

I'm still gathering data. i have not had a chance to compile the information yet. The questions are found at the beginning of this topic and your answers can be emailed or PM'd to me. THANKS!! :)

Gen

• 3 months later...
Guest Zinfandel

I recently adopted a greyhound, Zinfandel, on Sept 5. Since I have had him he has had 2 seizures. I took him in for bloodwork and the vet seems to think it is epilepsy. I have been told to monitor his condition and record the length of the seizures if it should happen again. I would be happy to partake in any survey and offer any information I can. For those of you who have seen this before, it is very disturbing to watch and breaks your heart.

I recently adopted a greyhound, Zinfandel, on Sept 5. Since I have had him he has had 2 seizures. I took him in for bloodwork and the vet seems to think it is epilepsy. I have been told to monitor his condition and record the length of the seizures if it should happen again. I would be happy to partake in any survey and offer any information I can. For those of you who have seen this before, it is very disturbing to watch and breaks your heart.

The survey is at the beginning of the section. You can copy & paste it into an email and email to me at gencfg@gmail.com

I'm still compiling data and need to get a large enough number of surveys before I can have valid research. To small of a sample study and it won't really show us anything...

• 1 month later...
Guest whytecliff

Hi Gen - I'm interested in helping/responding to your study, though am new to the site and see that it's been more than 2 years since your initial message.

I have 2 greys, the male, Atem, is now almost 8 and starting having seizures soon after we got him in 2003, though we didn't recognize it as such at the time. He's been on meds now since summer 2006, which does seem to control the seizure activity, I am seeing a very slow decline in stamina and energy.

I'll fill out your questionnaire and send.

Please let me know what you find?

My thanks and thoughts,

Heather.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JackBeyrer

HI,

Our greyhound Jack just had his sixth seizure. Send me that survey and I'l take it if you are still collecting info.

my email address is gail1217@yahoo.com

- Gail Beyrer

• 4 weeks later...

This is Maire- I have a 5 yr old girl with epilepsy for about 2 yrs. I had to re-home one of my other greyhs because she attacked her when she had seizures- they are very violent- that was so hard to do ! Her other sister, Penny isn't upset by them and just runs to the other side of the room when it happens. Please email me at m.mcnally@yahoo.com so I can give you my address for the questionairre, please

Edited by Maire

• 4 weeks later...
Guest janiesmom

I have a 7 yr old female greyhound who has developed seizures over the past year. She is on phenobarb, potassium bromide and ppa for the incontinence. Now she is also getting Valium rectally after her seizures to stop them as she has had two at a time. Last night we were at friends and she had 3 in about an hour. I didn't have the Valium with me so we had to come home, which we were going to do anyway. I don't know what triggers this. she has had a complete blood panel done by the vet and everything is within limits and liver is ok. I am keeping track of the seizures now and they seem to be happening every month lately. Can you give me any links to info that would be helpful. Anyone else have a dog that seizures frequently?? I am afraid to leave her alone now.

Heather

I forgot to include my email address...dmclaren3@shaw.ca

I would like the quesitonnaire to fill out for the study.

Thanks,

Heather

Guest Peanut

The questionnaire is in the beginning post. Please email to gencfg@gmail.com....

Typically, if a dog is seizing more than 1 time every 3 months, you have not reach stability. Something to consult your vet or neurologist about. My Natalie seized every 3 wks or so.... It was not fun.

Guest sweetgsmom

I have AIdan a three year old who has Idiopathic Epilepsy, I was wondering if you wanted her information? She is not an ex racer she is an oops puppy,her dam was dropped off at Caliente so I have no background on her other than when we got her at 8 weeks old.

Jenny

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BibBoysMom
I am owned by two greyhounds that have epilepsy; one of which is extremely unstable. In hopes of finding answers and gaining insight into greyhounds with epilepsy, I am conducting a research study in Natalie's honor (my greyhound). Some of you are familiar with Natalie and the struggle we've had to make sense of her epilepsy and to gain control of the seizure monster. If you are not, I'd be happy to share the store with you. Natalie is my heart and I fear for the day she will no longer be a part of my life.

If you are owned by a greyhound who experiences epilepsy, even 1 seizure, please contact me. I have a simple questionnaire to send to you for you to complete. The data collected in the questionnaire will hopefully help us find correlations to the many greyhounds that are suffering from epilepsy. All information will remain confidential.

Please pm me to receive the questionnaire. Also, share this information with any other greyhound people you know that might be experiencing epilepsy with their greyhound. The more data collected the more knowledge we'll gain.

For the Hounds!

Gen, Natalie & Peanut (my epi girls)

Guest BibBoysMom

Hello!

I just became a new member of GT less then one hour ago, so I'm still trying to find my way around these parts.

I am owned by my 10 year old Male, Charley. Shortly after we adopted him, 6 years ago he started seizing. This usually occurred in the wee hours of the morning. The most common hour we had noticed was at 4am. He was diagnosed with "Gran maul". Please forgive me if I have the spelling incorrect.

After documenting them for our Vet at the time, I almost had to beg him to put Charley on meds. Finally he did. He's been taking 1 1/2 grains of phenobarb, twice daily. We are very fortunate, that seemed to do the trick almost instantly. He only has had, up to now, 2 "break-through" seizures in the last 5 years.

If you are still gathering data, I'll be more then happy to comply. I wish you and your "kids" a wonderful and HEALTHY 2008. My private email address is: slipkovr@comcast.net

Best regards,

Robyn & "Charley"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest becstock

I'd love to help! My greyhound, Sylvie has had a few sporadic seizures in the last year. We just put her on medication last week. I've been nervous about medicating her, but she seems happier and definetly more playful since we stated the medication.

Please send me a form at. . . becstock@earthlink.net

• 2 months later...
Guest paulg

Hello, I have two Greyhounds , Sunny and Hal.

They both have experienced seizures, but not very frequently.

Actually Hal had his 1st one yesterday at it scared to crap out of us.

Please send me the questionnaire

Thanks paulg@rosenet.net