Moving On...

Guest blastsmom

Guest blastsmom

:weep

I had to put my 14 yr old beagle down 2 weeks ago and am so depressed. I just wondered how other people deal with this? He was so very sick, and could no longer walk, he had cushings, as well as severe arthritis. I miss him more than I could ever imagine. Any help would be greytly appreciated. Any Books? Websites?? etc????

post-4313-1115083789.jpg

Guest how888

My heartfelt sympathy to you in your loss. Many of us have experienced your pain.Take as long as you need to grieve.I think this site will help you a lot for many of us feel as you do. Look for Brocksdad for some books and good info.He is a Godsend to us in this field. As for me and my friends, I read many books on this subject but love" Necessary Losses" by Judith Voirst.It deals with a great deal of losses one faces in this life. I journal a lot , read a lot, and pray a lot. We are here for you day and night. God Bless and may your precious angel send you a sign to let you know he is running free with our bridge angels. :f_red:grouphug

I am so sorry for your loss. Just try to take comfort in the knowledge that your baby is now pain free and whole again. :grouphug

We had to put our 19 year old beagle to sleep 2 1/2 years ago. She was truly our heart dog. My daughter and I would wake up at night thinking that we heard her downstairs after she was gone. We still miss her like crazy, but time does make it better.

Guest cnewsome

I am so sorry... I love beagles, my friend fosters for beagle rescue.

Two years ago I lost my first greyhound to cancer. It is still very difficult and I think about him all the time. When I helped him cross the bridge I promised to continue my volunteer work with greyhound adoption groups. I started by keeping the foster I had at the time and continued by being more involved with adoption groups. Knowing that I help others find homes keeps me going.

Maybe you can foster for beagle rescue in your area. Help with fundraising, fostering, homevisits, meet and greets, transports, whatever is suitable for you. Every little bit makes a big difference. :)

Edited by cnewsome

Guest Billy_thundersmom

I grew up with a beagle. We had her for 18 years and she died when I was in first year of University! They are special and very loving dogs. My heart goes out to you right now and in the weeks, and months to come. I wish had advice for you but I don't, only to say that you are totally not alone in this and so many of us on this board have been here and we are all here for you! Please take comfort from that and also knowing that your special friend is running at the bridge, probably met up with our Mandy and they are having a great old time!

Be kind to yourself,

Trish

I am so sorry. I don't think that we ever get over our loss...but time does heal our hearts. In time you will remember the happy times with your baby and you will cherish those times and dwell less on the sadness. We know your pain...sending hugs... :grouphug:grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I think sometimes we need to do something practical to mark the passing of a much loved companion. It is hard.

I've had my two departed dogs cremated, so I have their ashes in nice wooden caskets. I put flowers by them and light candles for as long as I need to, and there are figurines painted in the right colours for the dogs, and also photographs and collars, and notes people have sent me in sympathy. I guess it's a little shrine, but it gives me comfort.

I also like to plant something in memory. I have a beautiful 'Susan' magnolia and a white 'Susan' rose for Susan, and another called Warm Wishes (her race name was Extra Wish) - I think I went a bit overboard, but it helped me to cope, to have something physically to do, and care for, in memory of her. Some people make up a memory box, or write a journal. I still haven't got anything like that for Jim yet, though I have a lead on a rose for him. Not such an easy name to find. And Patricia is asking for photos so she can send me something which I'm sure will make me cry, but they'll be good tears. If you see this, Patricia, I haven't forgotten and I'm working on the photos, but some of the later ones need resizing and brightening (they're still in their raw straight off the camera form) and it is an emotional task.

You might find that talking about your beagle is painful and brings tears, but it is therapeutic. Especially in the Remembrance threads, where people are so kind and post messages of sympathy and send cyber hugs.

So hugs to you. I know how it feels, and how painful it is, but time does help. You do have to go through the stages of grief - I can't remember the usual order but it's something like denial, anger, depression, guilt, recovery.

And don't listen if anyone ever says 'it was only a dog'. They don't know what they're talking about.

:bighug:f_pink

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest jettcricket

I don't know if we totally ever get over losing a beloved pet.....I've lost 3 kitties in less than 2 months. I lost my 17 year old Chumley to congestive heart failure, then 3 weeks later my 16 year old Zeke to kidney disease, then still 2 weeks later my precious heart kitty Zoe, who was only 9, seized on my kitchen floor and within seconds she was gone....I still can't believe it. She was fine one minute and then gone the next. I found Zoe when she was only about 10 days old when I was involved in feral cat rescue at our local Diner. I had to bottle feed her and wipe her little bottom down to make her go to the bathroom.....I brought her into work with me for 3 weeks so I could feed her every 3 to 4 hours.....I was truly her Mommy. We rushed her to our local vet, they attempted CPR, but she was gone. All I can see is the fear in her eyes and feeling so helpless. They think it was her heart....I pass by the Diner every day going to work where I found her. I can't even look over there anymore....I miss her terribly and just don't understand losing her like that. Chumely and Zeke I could accept a little easier, but not my sweet Zoe. I feel your pain and only hope time and good memories will make it easier and knowing that someday we will see them again gives me comfort....be kind to your self and know that you are not alone......

Guest benson

I think we learn to live around the loss. We lost our beloved shepherd mix, Buzz, in October 2003. He became ill quite quickly and unexpectedly. He was only 5. Kidney failure took him from us. Although it seems a little easier these days we still tear up when we talk about missing him. His passing has left such a void in our hearts. I don't think my DH will ever get over it.

My condolences on the loss of your beagle. He'll be waiting for you.

Guest Dianne

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet companion. I grew up with a beagle, she was my best friend.

It helps me to write about my lost companion. Just grab a notebook and start writing. Everything you can think of. You will laugh and cry as you remember the funny and special little things your pet did while in your life. In the end you have a journal about your pet, a testimony of why they were such a special part of your life.

I also contemplate what it was I learned from my companion and jot those down also. Dogs are incredible teachers and we learn so much from them.

My lost companions usually come visit me in dreams. I hope your beagle will visit you. The dreams are vivid and comforting.

My greyhound Shelby died in 2001, exactly one year after my mother died. Shelby has visited me in dreams and will also wake me with her bark sometimes (she did this once during my search for Buddy in Pasadena). Back in January, the same month Buddy went missing, Shelby came to me in a dream. She took me to the place she waits for me. It was the most beautiful, peaceful and comforting place one could ever imagine. She ran joyously in the dream and let me know how wonderful she felt. She communicated that she felt very loved by me and that she loved me very much. The love was overflowing in this place. She also let me know that there was nothing to worry about. We all would get to come to this place when it was our turn. She would be waiting . . . .

I pray you will find the strength, courage and peace that your beagle is sending you. He is still near.

Guest Valliejo2001

I am so sorry. I lost my first grey in November and am still having a hard time. However, she was so sick that I know she is in a better place now. I still feel her around me. Please take the time to grieve. I just got done having a cry over Maggie Sue after putting her in my Avatar. Everyone is here for you if you want to talk.

:f_white:bighug

Darlene

After a year, I could say his name without crying.

After two years, I could talk about him without crying.

After three years, a day would go by when I didn't think about him

Three and a half years, and I can think about him without pain. I can talk about him with love instead of grief.

Just today, the neighbor kid (11) said,

"You remember your dog, Joe?"

"Yes, of course, I remember Joe."

"He was a good dog. Was he a fast runner?"

"Faster than I was."

:lol

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest jettcricket
After a year, I could say his name without crying.

After two years, I could talk about him without crying.

After three years, a day would go by when I didn't think about him

Three and a half years, and I can think about him without pain. I can talk about him with love instead of grief.

Just today, the neighbor kid (11) said,

"You remember your dog, Joe?"

"Yes, of course, I remember Joe."

"He was a good dog. Was he a fast runner?"

"Faster than I was."

:lol

1420918[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

Guest fastdogs

I'm very sorry for the loss of your pup.:f_white

When we put James down in December, it was incredibly hard. There are times when I still tear up when I think of him, like now. We'll never forget him, he was very special and we wanted to do something special for him. I've put together a photo album dedicated to photos of him. Not that we'll ever forget what he looked like or how he acted, but the photos help to solidify those memories.

Here's one of my favorites of him.

Just remember, the pain will fade, but the memories are forever.

Guest greyt_parents

I cannot offer any advice as I am still a horrible, horrible mess from losing my heart-dog Tex.

I just wanted to sent hugs and sympathy and want you to know that you are not alone. :grouphug

:bighug:f_white

Guest rsqdogsmom

We have 2 resources here in Ohio for dealing with grief and the loss of an animal companion.

Anyone is welcome to use these.

Companion Animal Listening Line : 614-292-1823

Sept-May:9am-9:30pm m-f; 10am-4pm sat.

June-Aug: 9am-5pm m-f

E-Mail consults: honoringthebond@osu.edu

I lost my sweet Kira Nerys 9/26/04 to cancer. I STILL can't talk about it.

Good luck.

I went through a similar situation witn a miniature poodle. 17 years old, cushings, finally couldn't walk. I would like to think I didn't make him hang around longer than necessary, but that's something I'll probably never know.

I thought I was prepared, but it was still hard. You need to do something -- exercise, make something, just move. Donate any items you do not need for another dog to an Animal Shelter.

I saved his dog tag and made it into a Christmas ornament. It's been 4 years. When I put up the tree, I always sigh, and then I smile remembering all the love and fun I had.

Another pet is not the answer, although it sometimes helps. I'm guessing you already have others, at least a grey. Spend time with them, cuddle, walk, play. They're probably missing their beagle buddy, too.

The only solution really is time.

Guest Aushegun

I have always felt that another pet will help to ease the pain.

When my Lab, Fritz had to be PTS due to cancer, I still had his son Eph around, when we had to PTS Eph, I was lucky that my friends had offspring of Eph's for me to play with.

I no longer have any pets in my current residence, but I have the photos of my former pets up around the house. I always focus on the happy thoughts, and I seem to get by just fine, though the first 1-2 months after their passing is always hard.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Iberia was my heart dog, a beautiful red fawn greyhound boy. I loved him so deeply. Tragically, he died as a result of injuries incurred in a fight with our other grey, Frank. 2 years have passed and the pain has diminished some, I can remember him without tears. I keep his collar hanging from my rearview mirror, where I placed it as I was leaving the evets after saying goodbye to him for the last time. Friends recall him every now and again and I start to choke up but it is more with love now, than sadness. Someone else remarked that you learn to live around the grief, I think that is an apt description of where I am at now. I will always miss him and wish things had been different but I will never regret having him in my life, though our time together was much too short.

I am sorry for your loss, time does heal, it just takes its own time doing so...

Guest Snowy8
My heartfelt sympathy to you in your loss. Many of us have experienced your pain.Take as long as you need to grieve.I think this site will help you a lot for many of us feel as you do. Look for Brocksdad for some books and good info.He is a Godsend to us in this field. As for me and my friends, I read many books on this subject but love" Necessary Losses" by Judith Voirst.It deals with a great deal of losses one faces in this life. I journal a lot , read a lot, and pray a lot. We are here for you day and night. God Bless and may your precious angel send you a sign to let you know he is running free with our bridge angels.  :f_red   :grouphug

1416638[/snapback]

Journaling...I learned early on that writing down my thoughts in my daytimer was so helpful. It keeps my memories clear about things that happened & that helped me to get pass some things. Blocking it all out does not help me. My father died Friday (5/6) and I've been going back to my calendars & my daytimer & writing down things I remember that we said or what he did, how he felt that day so I can keep remembering.

This site on Greytalk is wonderful. So many of us have been through what you have just experienced & it is so easy to talk about your true feelings to those who understand. DO NOT hesitate to write what you're feeling on this site...sometimes we as humans are hesitate to tell how we feel about our pets because some people don't understand, but we do understand. Hopefully we can help you.

As to how & when you will get pass it...I can't say. What helps me is to go work at the adoption kennel I also went ahead & fostered & adopted again. The next one doesn't replace...it helps to fill that void.

I will pray for you to have strength. :gh_lay:f_pink

Edited by snowy8

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Beagle boy, just remember you did your very best, he would not have asked any more from you.

I am still greiving for Mulder who I lost over a year ago, and then Scully back in February, it hurts so much but it does get better.

I have made picture collages of each of my bridge babies so that I can look at my favourite pics of them all the time, sometimes they make me smile and sometimes they make me cry, but mostly they just make me feel close to my beloved puppers. Hugs to you, hang on in there. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:f_red

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

• 2 months later...

So sorry for your loss.

I really believe the greatest tribute you can pay to your dog is to open your heart to another needy hound and give it all the love and care you gave your previous dog (s). Just go to the pound, rescue, sanctuary or whatever nearest to you and see the eager, sad or hopeful faces waiting to heal your pain.

Sue from England