Color And Hypothyroidism

Guest Iva

What color is your hypothyroid grey?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What color is your hypothyroid grey?

• Blue
    • Black
    • Brindle
    • Red
    • Fawn
    • White
    • White and Brindle
    • White and Black
    • White and Fawn
    • White and Blue
    • White and Red

• 3 months later...
I'd need to vote twice... One white & blue, One white & black... Except the White and Black could genetically be a White & Brindle (long story).

Black is the most common colour in greyhounds, and blue is only a dilute of black (so they're actually the same colour, but a blue dog carries the dilute genes).

I don't believe the hypothyroid is connected to the dog's colour, but it could be a congenital defect... and colour is inherited also, hence the "appearance" of a link.

The possibility also exists that they are part of a "suite" of traits. I'm thinking of the Russian fox breeding experiemnts where the foxes were bred for docility and black-and-white coloring, curly tails and flopppy ears showed up, too

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest Tigonie

I think the poll needs a comparative:

Q1: What color(s) are your greyhound(s)? (multi-choice)

Q2: What color(s) is (are) your hypothyroid greyhound(s)? (multi-choice, with choice for None are hypothyroid)

Then you can figure out what percentage of each color is hypothyroid, which is really what you want to know. Not that any small-sample, voluntary poll will be scientific, but it would represent the desired data better. Of course, it's all a moot point, because posted polls can't be edited.

Anyway, Emma is brindle, and she is not hypothyroid, so I didn't vote.

Since this poll was started almost 2 1/2 years ago it could be the numbers would differ some now due to additional/new posters etc. I think it's interesting that the percentage does not follow along with the percentage of dogs per color, so it would seem that genetics of both color and hypothyroid may be related? :)

Greyhound Color Statistics Greyhound Colors & Statistics

Brindle- 37.23

Black-18.08

Red- 15.97

Fawn- 5.74

White- .34

White & color- 18.76

Blue- 2.59

Color & white- 1.28

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Oops, double post.

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Since this poll was started almost 2 1/2 years ago it could be the numbers would differ some now due to additional/new posters etc. I think it's interesting that the percentage does not follow along with the percentage of dogs per color, so it would seem that genetics of both color and hypothyroid may be related? :)

Greyhound Color Statistics Greyhound Colors & Statistics

Brindle- 37.23

Black-18.08

Red- 15.97

Fawn- 5.74

White- .34

White & color- 18.76

Blue- 2.59

Color & white- 1.28

Nope. I see it as since there are many more brindles, and color variations of brindle, then you are working with a larger number. Therefore, it makes sense that within a larger pool, it is more likely to get a larger positive number. And, since there are, generally, less blues that brindles, it would be reasonable to assume that there would be less blue hypothyroid dogs.

Just my take that this a really not a good way to determine in which color is thyroid disease more prevalent. You would have to know more "real" numbers in order to compare percentages.

Umm. I was never really good in math. :unsure

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I think what would be significant is whether any color shows a higher rate of hypothyroidism (say number of cases per 1000 dogs of a given color). And then you'd need to do the proper analysis to insure the differences are statistically significant. I did take statistics as an undergrad, but those brain cells have long since committed suicide.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)