Chili

Guest mitch

Guest mitch

i briefly mentioned in another section about my 2nd grey, chili. i just wanted to go a little more into it here. First let me say that I had a hard time not saying anything about it at Sandy Paws this weekend when they did an open mic so people could share about their lost but never forgotten hounds. as i said, we adopted our first grey (Rebel) about 3 years ago. it was definitely a different experience seeing as how i grew up around cats, labs, and shih tzus. once my wife and i got involved w/ a rescue group, doing meet and greets, and such... everyone always said "you can never have just one" or "two is no different than one". i'm sure you've all heard it at one point. well, after a trip to the track in birmingham and touring the adoption kennel there. we visited one of the racing kennels. the owner of the kennel told us all about this dog (EJ's Combatant a.k.a. "Chili") who's racing career was most likely coming to an end because her last couple races she had been out in front and then all of a sudden stopped to let the other dogs catch up. Larissa (my wife) immediately fell in love with her and had to have her. So we stayed in touch with the kennel for the remainder of Chili's career, and once she was done we got her. When we got her home we had forgotten to make sure she was cat safe (we had 3 cats at the time. 1 adult and 2 kittens). Chili was afraid of the adult but liked to chase the 2 little kittens. She wasn't too bad, after a few stern NO's and squirts w/ the water bottle she left the kittens alone. She was very different from Rebel. Rebel never raced so he didn't have that track mentality drilled in him. Chili was nuts! But she was a lot of fun and kept us on our toes. a few months later on a Saturday she stopped drinking as much, but was still very energetic and still ate like normal. Then on Sunday she stopped eating. We tried EVERYTHING. So first thing Monday morning we decided to take her to the vet because something wasn't right. We let Rebel and Chili out for a potty run before we left and Chili slowly walked around the back of the house and squatted to pee, and just collapsed. Of course, larissa and I begin to panic and I grab Chili while larissa locked Rebel up and off to the vet we went. She was pretty much lifeless at this point. After the doctor looked over her and everything, they ran blood tests, did 3 blood transfusions, and some injections and put her on fluids to rehydrate her. The dr. explained to us that all this was going to be well over $1000, but we didn't care (even though there was no way we could afford it at the time because larissa was between jobs) we told them to do whatever they needed to do. we went home (crying our eyes out the whole way) and called every 1-2 hours to check on her progress. she seemed to respond pretty well to the fluids at first but it got worse. the dr. said he'd never seen a white cell count as high as hers in any breed of dog in his whole career. about 10pm that night he called us to tell us that Chili had passed. He assured us that we had done everything we could have, and they did everything they could have to save her. we never were 100% sure that it was lukemia but that was the closest thing they could come up with without doing a necropsy (sp?), which we didn't want to put ourselves through any more. to this day we still haven't been able to adopt another one. especially a brindle female. and this weekend at Sandy Paws during the memorial service, larissa and i both found it extremely hard to hold back tears for Chili. afterwards we went down to the beach and wrote her name in the sand so that the tide could take it away. (i'm even tearing up now as i'm writing this). i think now, we are both ready to adopt again. Chili will never be forgotten, and will always be in our minds and hearts. Even what little time she was with us it was probably the best time of our lives and hers. I'm just glad she's in a better place now. sorry for the long post, but i know you'll understand.

thanks,

mitch.

Guest PhillyPups

Mitch, tears here for you, Larissa and Chili, who had such a brief time with you, filled with love and joy. It is hard losing our companions. I did find the memorial service at Dewey very healing for me. When the time is right the next grey will appear, they always do. Hugs to you all.

Guest BrockGusDad

Thank you for posting Chili's story, Mitch. As hard as it is to read, I know how much more difficult it is to write.

Godspeed Chili.....

Guest Greymom

What a beautiful tribute to a special girl. She touched your hearts and lives for the better. Run free sweet Chili, until we meet again. :grouphug

What a beautiful way to remember Chili. I'm sure she enjoyed her retirement with your loving family.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Oh Mitch. Thank you for sharing your precious Chilli with us. We do know and understand your pain. I suspect that in time...Sweet Chilli will send you a special babe to help heal your hearts. I know she looks down upon you with love until you meet again. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I too am unable to adopt a brindle, and my heart breaks a little everytime I see one.

But more and more I am smiling when I see brindles in all their amazing glory. Your story of Chili was lovely. And managed to bring a smile. "Waiting for the other dogs to catch up" :) Sharing the pain of losing Chili, also means sharing the joy of owning her.

One of the nicest things about Greytalk, I feel like a part-owner of hundreds of greyhounds.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest Champsmom

Just know that your Chili is with all the other special hounds watching over us from the rainbow bridge.(((((HUGS)))))))))))))

Guest how888

My heartfelt sympathy. Just believe that "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" we will all meet n greet one more time. I know Chili is running free,watching over you at this very minute....Just believe. :gh_run:f_red:f_red

I'm so glad that Chili found you and your wife, even if it was just for a short while, I'm sure that time was just wonderful. Run free Chili :grouphug:f_pink

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

What a wonderful tribute to Chili. The story of her stopping and waiting

for the others to catch up will stay in my mind for a very long time.

May your hearts mend soon - Chili was with you for all too short a time

but you gave her the great happiness during the moments she spent

with you.

Mary

:f_red:f_pink:f_white

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I am so sorry for your loss of Chili, what a precious girl she was. :candle

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

What a sweet and generous doggie to stop and let the rest of the field catch up! :lol:lol Marvelous story and thank you for sharing her with us. A picture maybe?

:f_white:f_white

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Mitch,

It's great to see you here on GreyTalk! I had never heard the story of Chilli. I know she's running like the wind...

If you and Larissa feel ready to adopt again, I'll cross my fingers that you'll find JUST the right doggie amongst the ones we're bringing up on Saturday.

:grouphug

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Guest mitch

Pam,

I know we are ready to adopt again. However, we are unable to at the moment. we are nearing the end of our lease where we are living now, and have a few too many animals. The management here knew about all our animals, but they recently came under new management, and I dont think the new ones know about our little zoo. ha! We are trying to get everything together to get a house in August, then we will be ready for another one. who knows... maybe even two!