Austin

Diane4114

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is with a very heavy heart that I am writing about sending Austin to the bridge.

He came here in Feb. 1998 as a companion for Willow, who was having a hard time as an only dog. He was a very good dog, and quickly became a crowd favorite. He started out a little shy in public and with crowds, he soon got over that. He turned into a champion M&G'er. He would be the first one to greet anyone that stopped by to chat. A little lean or a very soulful look from those beautiful brown eyes and we had their attention. The kids liked his coloring, he 'looks like a tiger' was the usual comment.

He was a beautiful dog to photograph, and I'm going to miss being able to take pictures of him. He was physically a beautiful dog and was very photogenic. I will miss seeing him run. He was a beautiful moving dog, never put a bad foot down. His was very fast, but when running with Willow you could see that he was holding back so she wouldn't be very far behind. I have always said I wish I had a horse that moved like him.

They had a game they played. She would stalk him, he would stand still waiting for the perfect time to take off...and they would be gone. Another game they played was chasing each other around the coffee table. I was never really able to see it. Even if I tried to sneak up on them, they would stop and look at me. Even though I never saw they, it was fun to hear them playing this game.

I fostered for a year and both Austin & Willow were very patient foster parents. Austin was almost protective of some of them. PD was the first foster. We we at the fair grounds and Chance the shepard was there. Sometimes Chance likes to put on a show and think he's the top dog. He was hanging around PD and Austin came over and started barking at him, putting his body between PD and Chance. When Chance didn't get the first hint, Austin did it again. Chance went about his business after that. I had 2 very shy fosters, Diane's Guy and Lance. I never let them loose at the fair grounds, afraid I would never be able to catch them. So Austin would go off for a short while and check his pee mail. After a 15 min. or so he waould come back and be content to walk beside us, offering support to these 2 shy ones.

With Jetta, Tom and Glaze it was being tollerant of their wild and rambunctious ways. He was the same with his new brother Matt. I think both Austin and Willow were hoping he would be leaving soon. It didn't take long for them to become friends.

I'm glad last weekend had nice weather, We were able to go to the fairgrounds ...his most favorite thing to do. He enjoyed himself and it appeared nothing was wrong.

When I got up at 4 AM to feed eveyone...everyone was fine. At 7:30 he woke me up by vomiting. On our morning walk, I took them over to the tree farm and the groomed snowmobile trails. He was not himself, never bothered to look for pee mail. He vomited again on the way home in the car. He was still very quiet after. By the middle of the afternoon he had started to go downhill.  I called the vet that I was bringing him him, something was not right. They did blood work, took xrays. His liver and kidney values were off, and fluid was building up around his heart. He was also becoming dehydrated. Gave him some meds, fluids.  There was also problems with his protein and colestrol levels, cells in his urine, other things I just can't remember right now.

I took yesterday off and took him to the sister vet clinic where the ultrasound machine is. During that vet's physical exam, he was very tender when feeling his lower adnomen. The ultrasound did show the fluid buildup around the heart ... and a tumor on the heart itself. We could of removed the fluid, but it would come back, probably soon. With the results from the other tests, she felt that the cance rhad started to spread.

I am still in shock that this came on so sudden, but for Austin it was probably a good thing. He was acting normal on Sunday and withing 24 hours was having trouble breathing and was so weak. It was so hard to see him like that.

So I made the decision to send to to the bridge where he can run to his, now healthy heart's, content. Although hard for me, it was the best for him.

We will all miss you ... and we will all be togehter again one day. :wub:  :weep  :brokenheart  :gh_run  :gh_runner  :gh_run  :gh_runner  :gh_run  :gh_runner

Here are a few pics of Austin

March2004.jpg

A friend he made at a M&G

MG2003.jpg

An oldie, but a goodie

AUG172002-005.jpg

Giving foster Jetta a hug.

April192003-001.jpg

1282401[/snapback]

So sorry for your loss.We lost our Valerie on thrusday. We had her about seven years.Brown brindle in color. She stopped lying down.We took her to the asap.They told us she was in great pain. steriods,IV,pain killers then the specilist. Her tumor was operable,after a few days we had no choice.Our valerie is no longer in pain.she is running across the bridge with your beauty.

I feel your pain.

Godspeed to you and yours

Austin,

Today you are 9 years old. I'm very sad I can't spend this day with you physically, but I think of you all the time. I hope you have a nice birthday with your new friends. :angelwings:gh_run

I received a card from the vet clinic yesterday. It was signed , with their own words of sympathy, by all the vets and techs that were trying to help Austin those 2 days.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Happy Birthday beautiful Austin, your sweet face and greyhound smile touched so many

people. We will always remember and think of you at the beach and keep your spirit

with us.

Mary

:gh_lay

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy