A Letter From Dan

Guest Gretchen

Guest Gretchen

I found this letter last night that my dad had written. I cried the entire time I read it but I think it's what Dan would say to me and it made me feel better. It's very personal and special to me but I'm posting it for others who may have lost someone in hopes that find some comfort and peace as well.

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Dear Gretchen,

A long time ago I remember a warm summer's day at Harvey's Lake. I was done racing; they didn't want me anymore. I was a good racer and won a lot but I guess it was time to go. There wasn't much to look forward to although I was grateful that someone rescued me.

I remember parading around the field looking at all the other strange dogs and people. They seemed to be having a lot of fun, but for me, I was a little apprehensive, That day I also remember a family who kept looking at me. Some of the other dogs thought that this family might be interested in me but I didn't think so. They already had a dog. Besides, I had a bald butt and most of my teeth were broken. I didn't know what to think. But they kept looking and talking and talking and looking. Before I knew it the afternoon was fading and I was crammed into the back seat of a car with these strange people. They had adopted me! I'll always remember the day I met my forever family.

It took me awhile to realize that this family loved me-not because I was a fast runner or anything-just because I was me. I know I was a little timid at first. When anyone tried to scratch my ears I was a little frightened but as the days passed I realized that I could trust you. You gave me food and toys and warm fuzzy blankets. Best of all you played with me and talked to me, and you would give me little hugs and kisses. You were there to take care of me not because you had to but because you wanted to. It took some time for me to understand this. I tried to smile but I think I scared Mom a little. Smiling is a greyhound talent most people are unaware of, and as time went on I had more and more to smile about.

In the morning I loved to go with Dad to feed the horses. I'd always check for squirrels and ground hogs up by the barn. I relished the chance to gallop up the hill after them but they always seemed to elude me. Still, it was a lot of fun. I know you laughed and thought I was a maniac as I raced around the house and garage and through the garden, but that's how I had fun and showed my happiness. I knew there was always a warm bed or cushiony sofa for me to stretch out on and snooze. You guys were softies letting me nap wherever I wanted to. Come tot think of it, napping was one of my favorite things to do, too.

Occasionally I'd encounter a little problem, but you were always there for me. In the yard I'd forget how fast I'd be going or misjudge a turn or just not be paying attention and run in to a tree of something. Ouch! My skin was to thin (aerodynamics you know) that I would get banged up pretty badly. I'm sorry it was so expensive to have me sewn up again and again, but I really appreciate it. The same thing with my tail. It was just too long. One time when it got caught in the car door it really hurt. I'll bet that if you check around the hallway walls and kitchen door you might still find a few blood spots. I just couldn't help wagging my tail.

And why not. I was the luckiest dog in the world magically going from nothing to everything. I had my own bed and could sleep with Mom and Dad. Their snoring never bothered me! I had special coats to keep me warm in the winter. All the other dogs envied my blaze orange hunting coat. You would always bring me stuffed toys to play with. Once in awhile I'd be a little rough with them and destroy them, but that's part of the greyhound code too. I just loved my basket of toys. The blankies you gave me were wonderful. All the time you guys would give me treats and slip me food under the table. Dad was always an easy touch. Everything I ever needed or wanted was always there for me but most of all I valued your unconditional love.

True, I did have a few quirks. Eventually you grew accustomed to me gently nudging your wrist with my nose to remind you that you were supposed to pet me. I'd try to look regal by lifting my nose in the air and adopting a look of detached disinterest. You caught on, though. I know I had a bad habit of rummaging through the kitchen garbage but I couldn't help it. There was so much interesting stuff in there. Sorry about the nose prints on the windows and doors but that's what greyhounds do. My long gangly legs were always in the way when I stretched out on the floor, but you all were so good about not tripping on them. Although I was a lousy watchdog, I always kept one eye open for you so I could be ready to greet you at the door.

I looked forward to going in to work with Dad and you. As you know, I had many admirers. The people were nice, and I really liked riding in the car. I think I would have liked to have ridden with my head out the window but you were always concerned about my safety and well being. Those were fun days. Do you recall walking me and Robbie behind the Burger King at lunchtime? I'm glad you found your wallet that one day because I would have felt really badly had you not.

In the nice weather I loved to lay on the bank in the soft green grass behind the house and soak up the sun's rays. It's so comfy back there. Many times I'd drift off and dream doggy dreams. I could also keep an eye out for approaching squirrels. It was so nice. I can't believe my good fortune to have stumbled upon my forever family and espically my forever mistress.

And that's why I asked Dad to write this letter for me. I love you so much that it pains me to know that you're so sad and carry such a heavy heart. As with all things, my time to be in another place had arrived. I really appreciate everything you did for me these last few months. After all the years you still held me dear as you'd to buy more medicines, mix up special foods, take me to the vet, and offer me the best sirloin tidbits I ever ate. And know that it was very special for me to have those dearest to me surrounding me with all their love at the very end. Thank you so much for letting go. That must have been very hard.

I have a special wish for you, Gretchen. And while it may not be possible at this particular moment in time, I want you to be content and happy and enjoy life as I did with my forever family. Yesterday was a rough day. Grieve as you must but don't dwell on it. As I said, I'm in another place now according to a plan laid out for me.

I don't know why fate brought us together; however, I treasure every moment with you and am much the richer for it. I had the best time and was the luckiest dog in the world. I know you are very sad; full of sorrow and emptiness. Time is the only remedy. Yes, in one sense I am with you no longer. But maybe this thought will help. You are forever in my heart as I know I live forever in your heart because we are forever friends and buddies. I love you as you love me. Our bond is meant to bring joy and happiness, and this is what I want for you. That's what I want you to know.

It's time for me to move on now. I think there's a squirrel I may want to chase or maybe I'll just snooze a little and dream doggy dreams. Perhaps it's almost time for you to move on, too.

I love you,

Danny

post-5713-1100869313_thumb.jpg

That was such a beautiful letter - I have tears in my eyes, but not entirely sad tears. What a wonderful thing for your Dad to have done.

I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful Dan - he was a gorgeous looking dog and it sounds as if he was an amazing companion, too.

:bighug:f_pink

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Whew! What a tear jerker, but absolutely beautiful. I always wonder what my dogs are really thinking. Thanks for sharing and know that there are others who have been where you are and know your pain. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that.

Mindy

Mom to Max (grey), Buttermilk (grey) and Winston (iggy) and Skinkids, Ally and Ben! In loving memory of Angels Chelsey(Weim), whom we lost on August 26, 2004, Majestic(Chow) on November 20, 2005, on October 5, 2007, we lost Natasha(lab mix), and on May 28, 2009 we lost our greyhound Ike born 7/31/2005 You were too young to go!!!! We lost Monte(Whippet) on September 23, 2009. We miss you all!

Thank you for sharing your letter with us. Your Dad and Dan are both very special.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Oh my! No words can describe how that letter makes me feel. So happy, yet sad...I can't imagine how you feel!

Gretchen, he will love you always! :grouphug

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Now I'm crying. What a beautiful letter about the love between a dog and his family--thank you for sharing it with us.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I cried through the whole letter. Your Dad is really wonderful to have written that, and I'm certain it's what Danny would want you to know. What a special dog and a special father. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

You are very lucky to have two very special guys in your life. Your dad is a wonderful person to give you such a beautiful letter and Dan sounds like he was the love of your life. :f_red:f_red

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

:weep:weep:weep Thank you for sharing Dan's story. Run free sweet baby.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest BleusysMom

Hugs.....Wonderful :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

Thank You for Sharing....Your Dan is Your Own Special Angel :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

andi & Bleu Man Spirit Hound :angelwings

Edited by Bleusys Mom

Guest Gretchen
You are very lucky to have two very special guys in your life.  Your dad is a wonderful person to give you such a beautiful letter and Dan sounds like he was the love of your life. :f_red  :f_red

1114831[/snapback]

You know I always told people Dan was the love of my life. I think they thought I was only joking, but I wasn't. There was/is something about him that made him special to me and I still can't talk about him without getting choked up.

I believe the letter is what Dan would say to me and what a lot of dogs would say to their loved ones. It brings back so many memories of Dan, which gives me a lot of comfort and I will always be grateful to my dad for that. This afternoon my dad and I planted a weeping cherry tree by Dan's grave, I think a fitting tribute to an amazing and one-of-a-kind pup. I definitely inherited my love of animals from my dad. Thank you Dad.

I am so sorry that Dan is gone from your side but he is forever in your heart. :grouphug

Your Dad must be a very special man.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg