I Cant Get Over It

Guest my4greys

Guest Snowy8

When I lost Sadie-Grey to a dog attack, my whole world stopped. I couldn't exist...I walked from room to room...I cried & cried. When I tried to call the adoption kennel to talk to someone about adopting, I'd hang up because I would start crying. I couldn't go to work.

I'm like you...I felt the need...its like an urge...to get another greyhound. I went 10 days after Sadie-Grey died & adopted Snowy. Then I adopted Pegasus, then Brogan & then Bool.

I lost Bool February 2003...again I was kicked in the chest. It was the 1st time in my entire life I ever asked God...why? Why him? 4 months later I lost Brogan & 2 months after that I lost Racer...someone was using me as a punching bag.

The day after I lost Bool, I went to the adoption kennel...that's my safe haven. I met Dear....it was as if Bool's spirit moved over to Dear. They were the same dog. Still are. It helped me so much to deal with the loss. I still wonder why, but I don't ask because I think...I know in my heart, the reason God took Bool was because He knew Dear needed a home & Bool had been given a home for 3 yrs. I waited a month before I took Dear home, but I visited him once a week...he is my shadow...he's my love.

I think you heard her barking to let you know she was okay...she's having fun at the rainbow bridge & it might have been to tell you to look in the sky...that she was sending you a shooting star if at night or a rainbow if during the day.

You will notice something you've never noticed before & it will be a sign from her. :gh_lay

f_yellow:f_white

I got teary eyed reading your post. It almost feels that the saying 'I feel your pain' is true.

In May we lost our dear Shamrock. He was sick for a week and a half and then died of a 'lung anneurisim' (he had a blood filled cyst on his lung and it popped). It still hurts to think of him and I still cry when I see his pic.

You may never 'get over it', but in time you'll be able to look back and remember the best times and what was so special about your precious girl.

Guest my4greys

Im not offended about being depressed..today I took king to the vet just to make sure his peeing in the house is behavioral not physical.. Its a kidney issue. Maybe just an infection but we wont know for a week. When the vet said kidney.. I could hear my insides just screaming! We left the vet and I went to the grocery store. I just stopped in the isle and put my face in my hands... ugh..

The terrible crushing grief will alleviate, but there is a lasting grief that is deep in your heart - it is always there - we learn to live with this grief, as we do with arthritis and such - it is always there but dull, and then it is back. I have lost so many special animals over the years. this year has been SO hard - I lost my Mother in January, Old Man (the cat) on July 30, Pepsi (my Grey) on August 08 and Tigger (the orange cat) on September 18. With each death, the memories of all the others (human and animal) that passed before come rushing to me - so I have a very hard time each time. BUT, it does get better and life goes on - I find that I try to live my life as a tribute to all the wonderful people/animals that loved me and touched my life so deeply. :sad1

I offer you my deepest sympathy and know the road you are walking - you are not walking it alone - so many here are making the journey with you! :f_red

pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

Guest reosmom

I'm so sorry. I felt the same way when I lost my last 2 pets. It's harder in some ways than losing a friend or someone else you don't live with because when you lose a pet the loss is felt constantly when you're home.

Honestly the pain never goes away. What happens is that you don't think about them as much as time goes by.

a lot of people frown on this but you might want to consider going on antidepressants for a while. That's what I did when I lost my father and both of my pets. It helped me get through the days and you kind of know when you can go off of them.

Keep in mind that it takes about 2 weeks before they totally kick in but they truly do help.

My thoughts are with you!!!

Guest McGreyt

I'm sorry your grief is so painful still. Time, time, and then some more time will make it bearable. Hang in there and trust that many of us know first-hand what you're going through, and have survived it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Don't ever feel that you are supposed to get over it. Time will ease the rawness of the pain, but the pain will always be there in a corner of your mind. Spender will send you the one who needs you most, be patient.

If we did not feel such terrible pain, then we could also not feel such glorious joy.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Crying is good for you right now. There is no time limit to your grief.

I don't know if anyone had suggested it yet, but there are a lot of people going through the same type of pain at petloss.com. I never imagined I would join a group like that, but believe me, they were a godsend. Both chat room and message board are very comforting.

Everything you are saying sounds so familiar to me. I can still cry about losing my first grey and it has now been over 2 years. It was definitely a shock. I am sorry you are going through it now.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest LurchersinKY

I have to second Pepsi2004's wonderful post:

>The terrible crushing grief will alleviate, but there is a lasting grief that is deep in your heart - it is always there - we learn to live with this grief, as we do with arthritis and such - it is always there but dull, and then it is back.<

I still cry when I try and talk to someone about my beloved Max, who has been at the Bridge over 10 years now. I think truly great love is only naturally followed by truly great grief. It does get better over time, but it never truly leaves. They make such an impression on our lives, their loss can't help but make an equal impression. I honestly believe in my soul I will be reunited with my dogs when I cross over, and that is the only thing that makes losing them bearable.

Sending big hugs to you,

Mary Anne in KY

Phantom, Lucy, Ian, Terra and Sally

Guest greyadvocate
about a month ago I was woke up to a barking dog.. I have 2 barkers King and Spender. Spender used to bark from the living room if I was upstairs and she needed outside. So, naturally when I heard the bark I thought it was King. When I got out of bed to let him out.. he was sleeping at the foot of my bed!

I sincerely believe in the signs that those who have passed on send to us to let us know they are okay, it sounds like this is what Spender was doing on that particular night.

I so feel for you, losing a beloved family member is so painful, and the fact that we feel this way about our greys...it is something that "non-grey owners" or even "non-pet owners" just don't understand. It makes you feel even worse when you are around people who tend to think you should be "over it" by now. Only when you have had that special kind of relationship with an animal, can you understand the depth of the pain and how long it can last.

Please know that we understand...and we feel your grief with you.

Try to keep in mind that although she is not physically here with you, she is not really ever gone from you. I promise that if you always keep your eyes open, Spender will send you signs from time to time.

It is her way of taking care of you as you took care of her.

God Bless :f_pink

I think grief is like carrying a heavy package over a hill.

I like this way of looking at it, and this -

When you reach level ground, the burden is not so heavy, and is now something that you can look at clearly. It's the love and memories that you carry...and will carry with you always.

is very, very true.

I've already posted about Susan today in response to another post, and I'm feeling rather damp around the eyes :cry1 but it's so true that in time the raw pain eases and you'll be able to think about Spender with love and gratitude and with less of the emotional pain. For a long, long time I couldn't look at Susan's photos without crying. I could hardly see to pick them the day I had to choose some to send to the very kind people who painted up a little memorial statuette for me.

I firmly believe Suze came to visit after she died. I also think that it upset and confused Jim a bit - he would stand staring up the garden or at one of the beds looking just so depressed and sad. I used to talk to her (when there was no-one around) and when I felt able to, I told her she could go on, but that I'd be glad to see her if she ever wanted to come back and visit. I think that day marked a turning point for both Jim and I. And Renie coming to live with us made a big difference to him - he needs a young lady around! :P

Don't feel you have to 'get over it' or 'get through' it any faster than feels right. Some people won't understand, but that's not important. Don't worry about them. Do what feels right to you. :bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest GreyhoundTrish

I have tears in my eyes, as I wonder what I could say to make a difference. All of the old cliche's aren't enough. They're so meaningless when you're in pain. Please do know that we all care very very much about you, and what you're going through.

Keeping you close in my heart and prayers.

• 2 weeks later...