They're Gone

Guest lee

It's been a week, but it has taken me this long to be able to post this publicly

Clancy, our sheltie/beagle mix who has been in congestive heart failure for a very long time (5 yrs), began to deteriorate in the last few weeks. She'd become blind and deaf, yet she remained the happy little dog I fell in love with at the shelter nearly 13 years ago. Her heart was still beating and she was still breathing but the essence of the special little dog that was Clancy had begun to disappear in the last couple weeks. We made the decision that it was time to let her go and scheduled her to be euthanized last Wednesday night.

Chaco (aka Total Export), age 10, developed a limp in his left front leg about a month ago. It was clear the pain was in his shoulder area. We immediately had it x-rayed and it appeared clean except for some arthritis. But we couldn't get it to resolve for more than a few days and he was dropping weight rapidly. On August 11 the vet re-x-rayed and there was a mass larger than a golf ball. We made the decision to that we would not subject him to the risk of anesthesia or the pain of surgery and recovery. With pred we were able to resolve the limp and any obvious signs of pain. The vet felt that we had perhaps a month or two before we were at risk of a bone shattering. But it was not to be.

Chaco began to limp ever so slightly again last Wednesday (two weeks to the day after we got the diagnosis), which told us that we were doing nothing to stem the rapid growth of his cancer. By late afternoon he yelped coming down the stairs (too fast as usual). We could not risk the chance of him shattering a limb and dying in agony nor did we want his last days to be filled with increasing pain. I promised him that.

Chaco was the best dog I've ever had the joy of living with as a trainer. He was a tireless worker and a gentle soul and asked nothing more of me than to let him know what I wanted him to do next. We trusted each other completely.

Last Wednesday evening both he and Clancy left us. Losing both of them at the same time was the hardest thing Ben and I have ever faced. Their absence has left a hole in my soul.

Lee Livingood

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that news :cry1

May Clancy & Chaco rest easy together at the Bridge until you all meet again.

:f_red

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I am so very very sorry for your loss. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure you have been feeling more than overwhelmed with grief. Five years ago I lost my 15 year old irish setter and my 4 year old greyhound less than 3 weeks apart. April is still a difficult month for me. May God hold your aching heart in his hands. :bighug

Oh Lee I am so sorry...my deepest sympathy. I know how hard this is...but please find comfort in knowing that your precious babes went to the Bridge together. Also find comfort in knowing that they one huge welcoming committee to meet them and show them around. Bless your heart. :f_pink:f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

How heartbreaking to lose both of your precious puppers. :brokenheart My heart-felt condolences to you and your husband. Know that they are whole again, playing at the Bridge, grateful for the loving kindness they had as family members. Godspeed, Clancy and Chaco... :beatheart:beatheart

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest Guest_Houndmom

Lee...I am so sorry for your loss. We lost 3 dogs and the cat in 2001, the dogs all due to unusual medical problems, two within 4 weeks of the other. It's hard enough losing one let alone more than that.

May they both find peace and run free with all of our angels. :grouphug:cry1:angelwings

Lee, I'm so sorry. It's so hard to let them go. :bighug:f_white:f_pink

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I am so sorry for your loss.I hurt for you and with you.i can't imagine losing them both but at least you know they're together "Somewhere Over The Rainbow."May your loving memories give you some comfort at this time.Wishing you the best. Linda and Nike :f_red:f_red:gh_run:gh_run