Have You Seen Your Pet?

Guest skinnydog

Have you seen your pet after it crossed the bridge?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen your pet after it crossed the bridge?

• Yes, it brought me comfort
    • No, but I hope to
    • Yes, and it was horribly upsetting
    • No, and I never want to
    • I don't believe in that

It's taken me a while to be able to vote (yes) and read through all the replies :rolleyes: I'm sure some people think I'm nuts because when they loose a pet, I always tell them - no matter what they believe - that they WILL get a sign from their pet that they have reached the Bridge and that all is OK. I said it many times to Lisa(73) last week and at the time, I think she thought I was a tiny bit strange(er than normal) ;) But now I think she understands.

I personally have never actually seen one of my pets who has passed, buyt DH has and those who know DH will know that he's not airy-fairy like me and doesn't necessarily have the strong beliefs that I do - or rather he didn't but he does now. We lost our cat, Whisp during a routine spay. On the night she died, DH saw her on the window ledge of our front room - and he went quite pale. We had 5 dogs at the time and after DH told me what he'd seen, we both witnessed all 5 dogs lift their heads and watch *something* move from one corner of the ceiling to the other - and then they all laid their heads down again. We had been planning on adopting a ginger and white female kitten but when Whisp died, I phoned the rescue to cancel because I couldn't face it. At the time, I was a volunteer at another small rescue and after Whisp died, I couldn't go in for a week or so. On the first day I went in after her death, I went into the rescue and went to the cattery which I normally didn't do (I spent most of my time taking calls in the office etc). As I walked into the cattery, the first thing I saw was a ginger and white female adult cat sitting with one paw up - like she was begging. I asked who she was and found out she was an 8 year old called Amber. Amber came home that night - and as I walked in through the front door, DH said "oh - what's Whisp sent then?" asi if it was quite expected :rolleyes:

(I'm sorry this is turning out to be so long....)

Six years later when we lost Amber to cancer on 7th April 2001, I was devastated. She was one of my two heart cats (my other is still with me). The following year, we planned on buying a Deerhound puppy (some of you may have already read this story in Everything Else). To cut a long story shortish, by the time we found the breeder we wanted etc and by the time the pups were due to be born and we worked everything forwards, it turned out that our pup was due to come home on 15th April 2002. I felt this was pretty close to Ambers anniversary and it made me smile. But, from the January of 2002, something a bit odd had been happening. I have Ambers casket on a shelf in the office/back bedroom and on the casket is a little card with all her details on. The card lives on the casket but for weeks, it kept 'removing itself' and landing on the desk. It happened so frequently that I told my friend Celia that I felt Amber was trying to tell me something. Fast forward now to 7th April 2002 - Ambers anniversary and eight days before Darcy Deerhound was due to come home. The anniversary time arrived (12.45pm) and I shed many tears, thinking of the previous year. Shortly after this time, the phone rang and it was Darcys breeder. She said that Darcy was being picked on by her littermates - and would I be interested in taking her a week early. So, Darcy came home on 7th April 2002 and Ambers card has stayed on her casket since then :)

I have so many other stories but am afraid to continue in case you're bored :blush

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest goddessgina

I voted yes, but I actually feel like my Bella came to me through another dog that just showed up in our yard one day. My other dog Daisey seemed like she new her and then they played for a little while and she left. It was the weirdest thing! I had her for 10 years and my heart broke when I had to put her to sleep. OK getting misty eyed now...

Guest mantis
It's taken me a while to be able to vote (yes) and read through all the replies :rolleyes: I'm sure some people think I'm nuts because when they loose a pet, I always tell them - no matter what they believe - that they WILL get a sign from their pet that they have reached the Bridge and that all is OK. I said it many times to Lisa(73) last week and at the time, I think she thought I was a tiny bit strange(er than normal) ;) But now I think she understands.

I personally have never actually seen one of my pets who has passed, buyt DH has and those who know DH will know that he's not airy-fairy like me and doesn't necessarily have the strong beliefs that I do - or rather he didn't but he does now. We lost our cat, Whisp during a routine spay. On the night she died, DH saw her on the window ledge of our front room - and he went quite pale. We had 5 dogs at the time and after DH told me what he'd seen, we both witnessed all 5 dogs lift their heads and watch *something* move from one corner of the ceiling to the other - and then they all laid their heads down again. We had been planning on adopting a ginger and white female kitten but when Whisp died, I phoned the rescue to cancel because I couldn't face it. At the time, I was a volunteer at another small rescue and after Whisp died, I couldn't go in for a week or so. On the first day I went in after her death, I went into the rescue and went to the cattery which I normally didn't do (I spent most of my time taking calls in the office etc). As I walked into the cattery, the first thing I saw was a ginger and white female adult cat sitting with one paw up - like she was begging. I asked who she was and found out she was an 8 year old called Amber. Amber came home that night - and as I walked in through the front door, DH said "oh - what's Whisp sent then?" asi if it was quite expected :rolleyes:

(I'm sorry this is turning out to be so long....)

Six years later when we lost Amber to cancer on 7th April 2001, I was devastated. She was one of my two heart cats (my other is still with me). The following year, we planned on buying a Deerhound puppy (some of you may have already read this story in Everything Else). To cut a long story shortish, by the time we found the breeder we wanted etc and by the time the pups were due to be born and we worked everything forwards, it turned out that our pup was due to come home on 15th April 2002. I felt this was pretty close to Ambers anniversary and it made me smile. But, from the January of 2002, something a bit odd had been happening. I have Ambers casket on a shelf in the office/back bedroom and on the casket is a little card with all her details on. The card lives on the casket but for weeks, it kept 'removing itself' and landing on the desk. It happened so frequently that I told my friend Celia that I felt Amber was trying to tell me something. Fast forward now to 7th April 2002 - Ambers anniversary and eight days before Darcy Deerhound was due to come home. The anniversary time arrived (12.45pm) and I shed many tears, thinking of the previous year. Shortly after this time, the phone rang and it was Darcys breeder. She said that Darcy was being picked on by her littermates - and would I be interested in taking her a week early. So, Darcy came home on 7th April 2002 and Ambers card has stayed on her casket since then :)

I have so many other stories but am afraid to continue in case you're bored :blush

I'm not bored with your stories and in fact I very much enjoyed it. Isn't it amazing how their spirits can come to you and let you know that they are still with you. When Jerry came back to me it was a very pleasant surprize and a memory that I will carry with me until we meet again at the bridge. I think that he was telling me that he was fine and in no more pain and for me not to be so sad about his passing. Suzie has brought very much joy into my life, in fact, she is a very special animal and very special to me and I love her with all my heart, but sometimes I just can't help but think fondly of Jerry.

Guest Jeffers

I voted 'yes' but like some of the others it was more of a sense of their presence. I had a beautiful Siamese cat we called 'Kittiboo'. He was with us for 19 years, from when I was a small child onto being an adult. He used to jump on my bed at night and curl up to sleep next to my feet. He would often wake me by doing this, and you know how it is when you're sleepy and trying to get you bearings. I'd tell myself, 'Ok, back to sleep, it's just Kittiboo'. And back to sleep I'd go.

Well, the first this happened after he was gone, it really startled me. Out of habit, I awaken from this sensation that the cat has jumped on the bed. (And he was no small kitty!) But this time, I knew it couldn't be. It was just the strangest sensation, but I found it comforting. This happened a number of times over the following few years. It hasn't happened in a long time now. But I had a hard time letting go of him, and as crazy as it sounds, I figured it was his way of letting me know it was ok, and he would always be with me.

Two years ago we lost our 19 year old beagle girl. Two nights after she died, my daughter and myself both heard what we were sure was her crying and the sound of her tags. This was in the middle of the night and we were both asleep and both opened our bedroom doors at the exact same time and said, "Did you just hear Sammy girl?"

Just as trevdog said above, windows were closed and it was very quiet in our house.

Guest TheMackeyPack

Yes,

I have seen Roo. Wide awake I was in the middle of the night. I thought it was one of the others because it was dar, but I checked and they were all in there respective sleeping spots. When I went to get closer to him, it was like and energy field melting away in front of my eyes and then I heard the thumping of a tail, all my dogs were sleeping at the time.

This has happened a few times, usually when I am feeling sad about something.

Guest lillysmum

From my signature, most of you will know I've loved and lost a few dogs in my life so far. The most difficult time was losing Aussie, my staffordshire x heeler, and that was b/c he was my first dog as an adult.

I've seen him in dreams many times. Nothing unusual there. After he passed on 27th December 2001, I felt his presence and his energy on numerous occasions. I still feel him from time to time - I think he still wants me to know that he knows how much we loved him and how much we still miss him. ;)

But he 'lives on' in Lilly. Lilly has so many 'mannerisms' that I thought were unique to Aussie - the same sideways tilt to her head when she listens to you (or something she's never heard before), the same way she holds up her front right paw when shaking her body, the same 'look of love' that Aussie gave me so many times. Even the way Lilly rests her head in my lap and looks up into my eyes, is uncannily like Aussie.

The thing is, Lilly was born before Aussie passed. So I can't explain any of it.

I'll always miss my Aussie-boy - he was a wonderful dog-soul and he made a lasting impression on my heart. But I'm sure he'll be there for us when our time/s come.

Run free, my baby boy! :angel

And here's a cookie for being so good! :dogcookie

Guest auntiesara

I thought that Mocha, our Dobie from years ago, and our fawn Grey, Sweetie, came to show me they were alright shortly after their deaths, but it was the sort of thing that I could not be sure if it was real or not. Then I had an experience that left me shaken.

A couple of years after Sweetie's death, I was away from home one night. I woke up very early, just at earliest dawn, but I wasn't fully awake, I knew where I was and had opened my eyes to take in my surroundings, but I was in that half-awake, trance-like state at the edge of sleep.

I then found myself in my own backyard, at night, with the yard lights on, standing at the end of the patio under a tree.

Sweetie came running to me out of the dark at the back of the yard. She gave me a big squirming greeting, then ran to the center of the yard and I could see she wanted to show me something. I started yelling for Sara, and she came out to the back steps in her nightgown.

Sweetie greeted her, then came back to me and tried to get me to follow her out into the yard where she had come from. She was very excited, and I knew she was trying to show me something important.

I told her, "Sweetie, I can't follow you there." She ran back and forth across the yard a couple of times, then ran into the shadows and I knew she was gone.

All the time this was happening, I remained fully aware of where I was, and at the same time felt I had stepped into somewhere else as well.

I was very shaken by the experience, and I went home as early as I could. I told Sara what had happened, and tried to make it clear that it wasn't a dream, but I didn't know what it was or why it happened so long after her death.

We got a phone call a few hours later. A quadraplegic man who Sara had cared for as a Personal Care Attendant for years had died of a heart attack late the night before or early that morning. Sweetie had always run in to his room to greet him when she arrived at his house, and they had been close. I knew then that she had been trying to tell me that her friend had come to see her, and maybe she thought that I could come play with her too. I have not seen her since, and I don't tell many people about it. A couple understood, and a couple were so kind and nonjudgemental that I wish I had never spoken.

Charlie

Guest hellokitty
I thought that Mocha, our Dobie from years ago, and our fawn Grey, Sweetie, came to show me they were alright shortly after their deaths, but it was the sort of thing that I could not be sure if it was real or not. Then I had an experience that left me shaken.

A couple of years after Sweetie's death, I was away from home one night. I woke up very early, just at earliest dawn, but I wasn't fully awake, I knew where I was and had opened my eyes to take in my surroundings, but I was in that half-awake, trance-like state at the edge of sleep.

I then found myself in my own backyard, at night, with the yard lights on, standing at the end of the patio under a tree.

Sweetie came running to me out of the dark at the back of the yard. She gave me a big squirming greeting, then ran to the center of the yard and I could see she wanted to show me something. I started yelling for Sara, and she came out to the back steps in her nightgown.

Sweetie greeted her, then came back to me and tried to get me to follow her out into the yard where she had come from. She was very excited, and I knew she was trying to show me something important.

I told her, "Sweetie, I can't follow you there." She ran back and forth across the yard a couple of times, then ran into the shadows and I knew she was gone.

All the time this was happening, I remained fully aware of where I was, and at the same time felt I had stepped into somewhere else as well.

I was very shaken by the experience, and I went home as early as I could. I told Sara what had happened, and tried to make it clear that it wasn't a dream, but I didn't know what it was or why it happened so long after her death.

We got a phone call a few hours later. A quadraplegic man who Sara had cared for as a Personal Care Attendant for years had died of a heart attack late the night before or early that morning. Sweetie had always run in to his room to greet him when she arrived at his house, and they had been close. I knew then that she had been trying to tell me that her friend had come to see her, and maybe she thought that I could come play with her too. I have not seen her since, and I don't tell many people about it. A couple understood, and a couple were so kind and nonjudgemental that I wish I had never spoken.

Charlie

WoW! What an amazing story!

Guest lauferdogs

I have, in an amazing dream.

I had a coon hound about 7 years ago and had to have him pts. It was awful because he wasn't sick but had become aggressive toward everyone and was dangerous. He had bitten someone and I was forced to have him pts. I was so upset and didn't sleep for days. When I finally fell asleep, there I was standing on a golf course with my uncle. (who had passed away the year before) He was just finishing up a round of golf and he gave a whistle...there was my hound running across the golf course! My uncle said "We come here everyday, he loves it" I woke up and felt better than I had in days. I went that night and picked out Erica Jean (my pittbull) and she is still with me today (along with Ronnie). I felt like it was ok to get another dog then becase it was like closure. :angelwings

Guest danigirl

I love these stories! I definitely believe them. When one of my lhasa aphsos died about 5 years ago, I was so distraught I carried his collar with me. I was driving home from work one night shortly after he passed and was crying and talking out loud to him and I felt him rubbing against my legs. Another night I was driving and again I was crying and asking him to let me know that he was ok and I looked up at the sky and immediately saw a falling star. I believe that was a sign from him.

I have had several dreams about my other pets that have passed and sometimes they all come together and other times separately. There's no doubt that we'll see them again!