Millie, Gone Almost 2 Years

MilliesMom

Just having one of those days in which it still feels as though someone's ripped out my heart and stomped on it.

My sweet Mil had a very long, healthy, and happy life, but 10 days before she turned 15, we had to send her to the Bridge. One night she simply couldn't get up and started screaming at the top of her lungs. I only could get her head into my lap, and it took quite awhile (since it was at night) to get either my hubby's or son's attention. We got her into the car, and she screamed (and my son sobbed) all the way to the Emergency Animal Hospital. Other than old age, they couldn't find out what was the matter with her, and even though she was on IVs all night and the following morning, she went downhill so fast and for no reason that we could determine that we had to put her to sleep. She had been a member of our family for over 13 years.

As it turned out, a couple of months after she had gone, I started to itch when I would touch dogs and cats. (I'm allergic, anyway, and I must've had a temporary immunity when she was here.) Our cats are outside, but we've yet to get another dog.

I'm praying I will someday, but as much as I adore greys and they need to be rescued, I'm afraid I might never be able to handle it. Everytime I look at a grey, I fawn over them, but when I look into their big, brown eyes, I'm disappointed that I don't see my Mil there. Once, someone accidently stepped on one of the grey's feet at a meet-and-greet, and the poor pooch let out the same blood-curdling scream as Millie did that night, and honestly, I've been traumatized by it. I never have felt so helpless in my life. I really feel that my next dog has to be smaller, so I can lift her. Mil was a petite 43 pounds, but it was far beyond what I could carry in an emergency.

Anyway, thanks for listening. The closer it gets to August 19th, the more frequent I find myself crying. I kept her favorite bear with her collar and tags on it and buried her with another of her stuffies, so I'll always feel part of her is here.

Guest argolola

I'm so sorry. It hurts so much to lose an animal. When the time is right, I'm sure she will lead you to another grey who needs a loving home.

Guest how888

I am very sorry for your loss.I had a beautiful old english sheepdog for nearly 16 years too and to this day I still think of how I had to carry her to the vets office and send her to the bridge. I now have her ashes along with Howie's.I hope one day you will find it in your heart to find another to love as much as you did Mill. I adopted our first greyhound, Howie and loved him so much I almost felt guilty when he passed on and I opened my home to Nike. You will never get over the loss of a loved one but believe me in time when you look into those big brown eyes you can't help but love them just the same.Mil has left paw prints on your heart and when the time is right for another Mil will let you know. f_yellowf_yellow

I am so sorry...So many of us here know how bad it hurts... :(

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest auntiesara

Anniversaries are very hard. We're all here for you. Rosie's anniversary will be exactly a month before Millie's (7/19). I find some comfort in knowing that they are playing at the Bridge and waiting to be reunited with us. When the time is right Millie will help you choose your next Grey...

Sara

Many thanks to you all.

I went to Petco after I first posted and found myself attracted to an absolutely gorgeous dog, probably a Brittany Spaniel mix that had been in a shelter. I knew this was a dog I could love, and I was relieved he did not look like Millie.

Whippets are very cute (in fact, Millie was so small that she almost looked like a whippet), but like IGs, we call them, "baby Millies."

A major concern to me now will be whether I can lift my next dog. I'm disabled, so she'll have to be pretty light, although I prefer big dogs. If I could, I'd get a wolfound or something. (Then, again, they only live until they're 7.) I just adore that sighthound personality.

I think what we've all got to keep in mind is that there are many homeless animals, and no matter what kind you save, you're saving one. If only we could save them all.