Tick Borne Diseases

Burpdog

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am waiting on results from tick panels on both my hounds, I'll be glad to get the results back....the waiting is terrible....!!!!

It is so important to get your dogs tested, it can save them a lot of problems down the road........!!!

After you ask your vet to draw blood for the tick panel, how do you send the blood sample to ProtaTek? Overnight delivery?

Can I send it to them directly, or does my vet have to do that?

If I can send it myself, do I just contact ProtaTek for info before mailing the sample to them?

• 2 weeks later...

pbanne I wish I had the answer for you but hopefully someone will jump in with the info on how to send the sample to Proteck.

Can someone give me a rough time frame that it would take a lab to do the actually testing, not including shipping time, but once they have recieved the sample till the time we would get the results.....?

thanks in advance, and thanks Burpdog for continuing to bump this subject :)

judi

Guest Greymom

Does anyone know how frequently a TBD test should be done on an otherwise healthy dog? Yearly? Every other year? Or if ill?

• 1 month later...
Guest RedsMommy
Can someone give me a rough time frame that it would take a lab to do the actually testing, not including shipping time, but once they have recieved the sample till the time we would get the results.....?

We had our results ~1 week (7 or 8 days) from the date of our vet appointment. The vet overnighted our samples to Protatek and called us with the results the day he received them.

• 2 weeks later...

From Merck's web site:

"Treatment: The drug of choice for all forms of ehrlichiosis is tetracycline (22 mg/kg, PO, t.i.d.) for a minimum of 2 wk in acute cases, 1-2 mo in chronic cases. Because of better intracellular penetration, doxycycline (5-10 mg/kg, PO or IV, daily for 10-14 days) is effective in some cases in which tetracycline fails. Two doses of imidocarb dipropionate (5-7 mg/kg, IM), 2 wk apart, are variably effective against both ehrlichiosis and babesiosis; however, the drug is not approved for use in the USA. In acute cases, the temperature returns to normal within 24-48 hr after treatment, and the dog becomes more active and begins to eat. In chronic cases, the hematologic abnormalities may persist for 3-6 mo, although clinical response occurs much sooner. Supportive therapy may be necessary to combat wasting and specific organ dysfunction; platelet or whole-blood transfusions may be required if hemorrhage is extensive. The E canis antibody titer should be measured again within 6 mo of illness to confirm a seronegative status indicative of successful therapy. Serum titers that persist at lower but positive levels should be rechecked in another 6 mo to make certain that they are not increasing."

Merck's web site

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.js...%2cehrlichiosis

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

(5-10 mg/kg, PO or IV, daily for 10-14 days)

It was my understanding you should not give doxy IV! From the erlichiosis page:

Most cases have shown a good response to treatment with the tetracycline family of antibiotics. Doxycycline is the preferred drug as it has less potential side effects and better penetration of certain bacteria (Merck). Inoculations as well as injectable antibiotics should not be administered to a dog suspect for ehrlichial infection, as reactions have been reported, some of which proved fatal to the patient (the immune system is already taxed due to the action of the disease.)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

• 3 weeks later...
Guest luvmygreyts

Bumping back up.

I have two dogs who have tested positive for Ehrlichia. One of them was my Grey that we just adopted and the other is my terrier that we have had 3 years. I had no idea that TBDs even existed until my rescue group educated me.

Please, Please, Please have your babies tested and do your research. I am finding out that not all vets are educated on TBDs!