Tick Borne Diseases

Burpdog

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jeffers

Glad I read it! It gives me one more thing for the vet to look into! :) Although, I think I'm going to have to find a third vet.

Here's another link on RMSF

http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/CLERK/otis/

Lori

Thanks! Very informative article. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pearliemae

This is such helpful info. It should be handed to everyone adopting a Greyhound. Gary has been tested for some TBD's, and we are curretnly waiting for another round of tests for TBD's he wasn't tested for before, including Babesia, to come in next week. He started on Doxy this morning. I really hope it is a TBD. He's so sick. Any idea how long it will take to see results from the Doxy?

The results, or improvement in the platelet count with Doxycycline can often be seen very quickly, as the platelet count starts going up. In our area Ehrlichiosis is the tick disease most commonly seen and the dosage for the Doxy is 300mg two times daily for three weeks. Followup platelet counts are done after completion of the Doxycycline. We did followup blood tests on our grey at 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks and 12 weeks. Obviously I can only speak from my own experience with my grey who had Ehlichia, and from the treatment of our group's dogs. A smaller dosage of Doxy did not work in the dogs that were initially given the lesser dose. Doxy, as with most antibiotics, can cause tummy problems, so getting some food in their tummy with the medication is important.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Pearliemae

He's on 200mg. twice a day. If I can get that Merck dosage info, I would really appreciate it. In any case I'll call the vet and ask if we should raise the dosage.

Doxy dosage is:

Doxycycline*** (a semisynthetic tetracycline) at 10 mg/kg of dog's weight (2.2 pounds = 1 kg), twice per day

So for a 65-70 pound dog that would be 300mg twice daily.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest vagreys

Please keep in mind that doxycycline, like the other tetracyclines, may cause sensitivity to sunlight while doxy is in the body. During that time, the skin may itch and/or feel like it is burning within seconds of exposure to direct sunlight.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. Now I am wondering about the cough/runny nose situation with Raisin. She responded to the Clavamox like a charm, however. But when she taken off the farm she was COVERED in ticks. Some people at GPA said it was the worst amount of ticks they had ever seen. I really do need to get this test done asap.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Thank you Diane. We had our two guys tested at the Arizona lab due to a post I read regarding Jazz, a beautiful, loving grey, no longer with us :( Thankfully, our guys tested clear, but our last boy, Beamer, did have a tick attached to him which we found after we got him home, and although he was last in New Hampshire, he did race in Florida. Great advice!

Edited by Lynne

If your vet argues with you about TBD testing, either educate them, or switch!!! Many of us had to argue about getting TBD testing done.

My vet said "that kind of tick is rarely seen in Michigan" :blink: ummmmm....did you MISS the "He just came from Kansas" part of the conversation?

Dogs travel a lot with the whole rescue thing. Our Radar was in a haul with another grey who I KNOW was tick infested.

Protek is a greyt resource. My vet was going to charge $250 USD for a TBD test. I had the blood drawn and sent it into Protek myself for $25.

DO NOT IGNORE TBD!!!!!!!!

VPCTshirtLogo3-1-1.jpg

petblink7.gifpetblink63.gif

"Speak your mind - even if your voice shakes" - Maggie Kuhn

"It's better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you are not" - Unknown

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "Oh Crap. She's up." - Unknown

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BleusysMom

Thanks Diane....I dug in the archives of GT last week...my new boy's blood was drawn Monday....and I am awaiting results from ProtaTek right now.....

and....P R A Y I N G!!!!!!