She's Gone...

Guest Remembering_Trudy

I am so sorry. I don't have the words to make you feel better. Only time can do that, but it will get better. I promise!

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest BleusysMom

I'm another believer that we WILL meet and touch and LOVE again...our ever sooooo sweet Babes :wub:

In time....You will Not Cry....You WILL Smile when You think of Your Trudy...You will remember Those Eyes of hers, and a slow smile will come to You, and You may even reach out to touch her....These actions will bring you Peace....

In the mean time....Hold on tightly to her collar, and maybe even sleep with her blankets, and inhale her smell...it will add to your Peace....with time.....

Godspeed Trudy :heart:heart:heart

I'm so sorry. Do whatever you need to do to get through these first difficult days and weeks.

I lost my Susan just about a year ago - I still remember the anguish. We planted roses for her and a magnolia. They give me great comfort when I see them growing, and I bought a bunch of pink roses because I felt I needed to have something here in her memory. Gosh, I burned candles for her, I kept her coats around for ages (Renie now wears her raincoat), her collar is still in the 'dog drawer' and for a long time her supplements etc were in the utility where we feed the dogs. Her kidney diet is STILL in there ... On the anniversary of her death I bought another bunch of pink roses.

Sorry to run on - just wanted to let you know you really aren't alone in your feelings of grief, loss, pain, guilt (yes, it creeps in there ...) etc.

May you find peace and comfort soon. Run free, Trudy!

:bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Dubeespot

Hi, so sorry to hear of your loss. Trudy will always be with you :heart. You will go through many many emotions during this sad time. Just know that you were a good friend to Trudy and she had a greyt life :couchjump here and now she is on to a greyt life there with her new friends.

Hang in :brokenheart

Guest ChrissyB

Cry and hold her collar as long as you need too. She is looking down on you, head tilted, and eyes wide. Her love for you is as strong as ever..............

Guest Remembering_Trudy

Thank you so much everyone... This is morning #2 without her. Her bed and blankets are just where she left them, with a flat spot where she last curled up. There are still wet spots on the floor from where she couldn't hold down the water she kept trying to drink... I couldn't clean them up, but hubby did. There's just the faintest dark arear there, next to her bed. It was all very sudden - well, too sudden for me. I thought, because of her age, that I was prepared to lose her someday, but I was so wrong. There's NO way to prepare for this...

She was lost during exploratory surgery to fix what turned out to be a twisted stomach (GDV I think he said? I don't know...). She'd been not eating for a few days, was very sick the day before. The vet diagnosed her with heat stress even though she'd only been out a few minutes that day. She was given an IV, ice packs, and her heart and temp came down. The next day she still wouldn't eat, everytime she drank water it immediately came back up. She had turned into not much more than a skeleton with fur, I was so scared. I took her back in and they x-rayed. Right away the vet said it appeared to be a twisted stomach, but he was confused because he said he couldn't understand why she was still here. They took more films, different angles and he kept saying twisted stomach, but said she should already be gone. He wanted to do the surgery to go in and see. I said ok.. and left her there to go grab dinner.

I came right back and sat in the dark waiting room (they had been closed for a hours, but had stayed for her). The tech came out, said it was twiasted, the doc had fixed it.. then again to say that he was closing her up. Half hour later, at 11pm, the vet came out and sat down. He said "...we lost her...". My initial reaction was "ok..." (I was afraid it would happen and thought if it did I could accept it) But then, as he told me that he had been doing the last few stitches when her heart rate went irregular, the tears came. They gave her a shot of adreneline, but she didn't respond. He asked if I wanted to see her. I had to, had to say goodbye. He took me back to the prep room where she lay under a blanket, just that pretty face showing, her eyes closed, mouth partially open. I broke down when I saw her. He told me that I hadn't done anything wrong, I'd done everything right - she needed the surgery or else she would have gone slowly, painfully over the next few days. He said they don't know how her stomach twisted, they said usually it's exercise, then wolfing down a meal or water. But I told him that she hasn't been really active at all recently, prefering to take it easy, and she's never been one to eat or drink like that. They just didn't have an answer for how it happened. He asked if I wanted to spend time with her, he brought in a chair and left, closing the door. I sat down with her and just lost it. After a few minutes I lifted her head, gave her a kiss between the eyes (where I've always kissed her goodnight) and slowly took off her collar. I had to drag myself away from her then I asked the vet what do they "do" with them. It turns out they just take dead animals to the landfill. I said no way and asked about a crematoreum (sp) or something else. Turned out there was a drop off point (at another vet's office) an hour from here. So the next morning, which was yesterday, we took her down. I took her in my old station wagon, she and I had so many adventures in that car, we traveled the country several times. (My granddad told me yesterday - "you showed her the world") It was so hard knowing she was laying on the back seat, wrapped in a blanket, but I had to do it, I owed at least that much to her... After she was in their hands, we got back in the car where I finally let go of her collar. I put it around the shifter and left it there. On the way home once in a while when I shifted gears, I'd hear those tags jingle. Everytime I almost thought she was sitting in the backseat like always, waiting to see something new.

I just feel... down. I can't decide what to do with her bed and blankets, everytime I look at them I'm hoping to see her there, but of course she's not. I thought I'd just throw them away, but I don't want to right now. I'll know in time I guess... I've felt sad, guilty, surprisingly relieved at times when I really stop to think - that she went away while under anethesia and not while conscious and in pain. Guilt - I regret every time when I didn't think I had time for her - time for a walk or to just sit with her and talk like I used to. I got her when I was 15 and for at least a good 4-5 years she was the focus of my time. Then came jobs, relationships, ect. I never stopped loving her... but there were times when she wanted attention and I "didn't have time" and that, more than anything, is what eats at me. That's why I wish I had just a few more minutes with her... I hope she knows how much I DID love her. I never really expected to lose her that night, I told myself it could happen and the vet said she was high risk, but it wasn't really going to happen. If I had only known, I would have put everything else aside and just spent a day with her, like so many days before I was "too busy". I sdid make a promise to her the day I got her. I told her she had a home with me until the day she died. Through thick and thin, rough times and good I kept my word. I guess that balances out the guilt, knowing that I wasn't ALWAYS too busy, and that boy did we have some fun times together...

I'm sorry to ramble on and on, but it helps to get it all out... Thanks again for all the kind words. I really do hope I'll see her again someday, somehow...

Guest Remembering_Trudy

Here's a picture of her. This was always my favorite one. I took it several years ago outside of the Greyhound Hall of Fame in Kansas. During one of our many trips together...

post-15-1079711974.jpg

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your sweet, beautiful girl. I'm certain she knew she was very much loved. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest MaxiesMom

What a beautiful girl. I'm sitting here with tears running down my cheeks as I type this, I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am that you lost your sweet baby. I'm sure you were her world and she was yours. What a wonderful life she must have had with you, she was a very lucky girl. You now have a beautiful angel watching over you.

Godspeed Trudy.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is so very painful. :( Trudy knows she was dearly loved and cherished, and will live forever in your heart. :bighug Godspeed, Trudy. :f_white

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Of course she knew she was loved. She wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else but with you, and you took her so many places with you - many, many dogs would just have been left at home.

Guilt is part of grief, but please, don't let it take over. No-one has had enough time for their loved ones in hindsight -not human loved ones, or animal. Everyone thinks they should have done more, spent more time, tried harder. Because we're only human, we don't ever get it perfectly right.

Guilt kept me awake nights for a long time after Susan left me. But in time, you can see more clearly, and realise that you just can't second guess everything all the time. Dogs don't judge, they love unconditionally, as we do our children.

You gave her love, and good care, and your company. What dog could ask for more?

She was a beautiful girl!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest how888

Oh how my heart aches for you.She was so beautiful and you gave her so many beautiful years. Run free sweet gorgeous girl.I feel your pain, I just lost my precious Howie and I can tell you this, she is watching over you at all times!! That rainbow bridge is a magical place . :f_pink:f_pink:f_pink My prayers to your family :f_pink

Edited by how888

Trudy was beautiful; I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart just breaks for you.

We're all here for you.

:f_white

Edited by laurie

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

:f_red My heart breaks for you, I feel so sorry for your loss....time will pass,

but you'll never forget your beloved Trudy... :f_white

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.