What Do You Do When Your Beloved Pet

Guest ceelo

I do the cremation thing and save the ashes.. Belle will have a special place at home once we get her back. Right now, we have her picture and collars in a special place, with a candle that burns.. We burn a real candle when we are there and an electric one when we can't burn the real one.. When we got home last Friday after she died, I lit a candle for her and made this memorial area. Several friends have mentioned a small memorial service for her. Maybe just a few friends over that were close to her. Its something we are considering. Right now its still all too hard to deal with. I have lost pets before and was very close to all of them.. Each loss is dealt with differently..

<b>These of course are just my humble opinions and in no way express the thoughts or ideas of the management, staff or members of this or any other board.. </b>
James River Greyhounds, Richmond VA
Homer, Gunnar and Scarlett,... Bridge Kids, Belle, Toby, Tanner, Pumpkin, Dimples and Tyrone, Willis, Duncan, Clea,Cable and Gracie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We always buried our pets under my parent's apple tree (two gerbils, a rabbit, numerous goldfish, a ferret & our dog - a **-a-poo mix). My Dad is a very talented woodworker - and he made wooden caskets for each animal (they were even lined with satin & padding). He carved headstones for each animal.

If my Dad ever sells his home - the buyers might be a little spooked by our pet cemetary.

Guest Zelante

I have the ashes of the two dogs I have lost (Cassi-Springer and Gavin-IG) on a desk in my room. They have their pictures and favorite toy behind their ashes. I think it is a nice little memorial.

• 5 years later...
Guest TexasGreytMom

All of our pups have been cremated and are in oak boxes in our living room. DH and I will each be cremated and when the last of us (DH or I) passes, our children will spread the ashes of our pups and DH and I on our farm. It only seems right for our situation.

Guest nerak254

I don't know what I will do in the future, but Goody and Jessica are with my dad. He was cremated as well and is at a church that has a small area for cremated remains on the grounds. My dad really liked those two and I couldn't imagine them anywhere else. The rector at that church has no sense of humor so it was a :ph34r secret trip. The idea of an urn just doesn't appeal to me. The only thing I wish I had was one of Goody's foot prints. When I went to pick up Jessica's ashes they gave me a cast and that really meant a lot.

My sweet Polli is here, with me on my night table. :(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest suzye

I don't deal well with the after-stuff. I don't want it in the house with me. We buried Jazz's ashes in the backyard. I don't think we will live here forever, but probably at least 10 years, and by then I don't think I will mind if they are not close by anymore. Am I the only one like that? I just don't think the ashes mean a whole lot to me. I have a stone with her footprint in it, and I have her collar and leash.

Guest Flysmom
I don't deal well with the after-stuff. I don't want it in the house with me. We buried Jazz's ashes in the backyard. I don't think we will live here forever, but probably at least 10 years, and by then I don't think I will mind if they are not close by anymore. Am I the only one like that? I just don't think the ashes mean a whole lot to me. I have a stone with her footprint in it, and I have her collar and leash.

No, I don't think your the only one - my husband is the same way. You still have a footprint and her collar/leash to remind you of Jazz.

Guest Flysmom

Our first dog Odo was cremated in CO and he moved with us to TX, from there we took him to Germany and burried him in my parents back yard where all the animals (from birds to a Deerhound) are burried by the pond. My mom always plants beautiful flowers there and lights a candle every night for them.

Kira, who passed away in January, was burried in our backyard here in Louisiana, the vets here in town do not offer cremation. We planted a Magnolia next to her, a Angel sits on her grave and we have a solar light there for her.

Fly was cremated (the vet was 1 1/2hrs away from where we live) and his ashes are in a horribel ugly plastic box in my nightstand. One of those days I will buy a much nicer urn and then he will be on my nightstand or in the living room.

I don't want to burry Fly here, because we don't know how long we are going to be stationed here and it will be hard to leave Kira behind...

Edited by Flysmom

Guest greytfostermom

I don't do the ashes stuff....They are in my heart and memories :digicam . When my 13 year old sick lab was PTS :angelwings , we just let the vet take care of the body. The same for for my 16 year old cat. I mourn their loss briefly :weep and then focus on a new pet. There are so many wonderful animals out there needing homes. I prefer to spend my energy there. My pets had wonderful, loving lives. I'd rather celebrate their life :baloons than mourn they death. I have a lot of love to give to other dogs and cats :beatheart . So I move on. :nod

Edited by greytfostermom

We had Pup cremated & he sits in a lovely box by my desk at home. I also planted a nice Peach tree in the yard in his honor. He will be scattered with either myself or my DH with our ashes, depending on who meets him at the bridge first. :nod

When we had our Afghan hound, Max put to sleep years ago at age 14, He passed away 1 day after my husband lost his father (can you imagine the heartbreak of losing your father & best friend one day apart!) ..... we couldn't deal with the amount of grief - so we left his body to be disposed of by the vets office.

It wasn't until later that we found out that if you don't pay for a cremation, or take the body home for burial that they end up in a landfill with the trash. :sad1 You can't imagine how horrible we felt when we discovered that our wonderful and loyal Max was disposed of that way --- I'll never let that happen again to any of my beloved dogs!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest Pipi5

I've had all of mine buried side by side at a friend's place just south of here. They have a very quiet area down by their lake, under the shade trees that they're all buried there except Bool, Brogan, Boner & Sadie.

I wrote this in 2009? Wow...so much has happened since then. Now Gogh, Halo, Gabby & Banker are buried there along with Banker, Pegasus, Snowy, BuyCut, Dear.

Edited by Heehoo

My last two dogs were wrapped in rebozos and buried at their favorite spots in the yard. willie wonka our yard where lies eternally checking out what's doing on our quite street- i called him yenta dog. velcro is hanging out where we now have bamboo growing. joe, my husband initally had his moring coffee w/ them and commune w/ their spirts for a really long time. it's nice to know their remains are where they loved to hang out.

Guest DoofBert

Well, Sir D left us 19- Oct-2007. I have some of his photos in a collage frame in the dining rooms and his 'box' is also in the dining room.

Ok, you folks know I wear my 'crazy Gh lady ' shirt with pride.. so here goes. Why, the dining room, you aks? Cause that is where Sir D told us (through pet communicator) where he wanted to be -- as that is where he always got the good food. We also have his 'tough guy' long dog leather collar around the box, too. Why this collar when he had about a dozen? It wa his favorite manly hound collar!

We also have the ashes of our queen cat, Lexie. When Tim or I go, the boxes will be with us.

Edited by DoofBert

I buried Topaz and regret it. Because I know I will eventually move and she can't come with me. But Brindle was cremated and her cremains stored away. I didn't need to put it out on display or memorialize it. I just need to have her ashes spread with mine when I go. I too want to be cremated.

All my girls now will also be cremated and their ashes scattered with mine.

• 2 years later...
Guest greyhound515

I cried until I didn't believe there were any tears left. Then I cried some more and kept crying for almost a year. I write her letters here on Remembrance every time I think of her and I cry a little more. Now I can also laugh a little, but it is still so hard and she was so loved and will always remain in my heart. Daphne Mae was the perfect dog for me and life is a little less bright without her in it. Now I have another Grey, a shy and terrified one who was deemed "unadoptable." Diva has been with me for almost three years and every day I see that in the right home no dog is "unadoptable," some just need special care and attention. I guess we remain tied to the last dog and the new one as well, and the cats too...

My girl's ashes are still in the plastic box from the crematory. Sitting on a shelf. I need to do SOMETHING with them, but can't bring myself to. I'm not the only one with this issue though. I noticed recently at a friend's house that there were boxes from the same crematory of some pets they had lost.

My "plan" is to get a custom made box to put some in and scatter some in places that she loved.

My mantle is loaded - I think there are 8 or 9 containers there. Haven't really thought about what to do with them - I like them right where they are.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I've been wondering about this. Faye Oops has osteo. So our time is limited.

When our cat crossed the bridge, we brought her home and buried her in our yard surrounded by her favorite toys. The spot is marked with a memorial stone. We can't bury a large dog in our backyard. The barn owner where my horse Gracie lives offered to bury Faye Oops at the farm. He has an area where his dogs are buried with white crosses. Gracie has been at this barn for several years. These folks are like family to us. I like the idea, but not sure that DH and I are willing or able to transport Faye Oops body from the vet's office to the farm. That is a lot tougher than an 8 lbs. cat inside a box.

So... we are also thinking about cremation. Is this something your vets office arranges? Or is it something I need to do on my own. I just haven't been able to bring myself to ask the vet these questions.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)