What Do You Do When Your Beloved Pet

Guest ceelo

the cat i grew up with died this summer, and we had him cremated. we are now trying to figure out what to do with the ashes.

i was wondering what other people did when their heartdogs/cats traveled across the bridge.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest argolola

As for Zombie, we had her cremated too. I have her ashes in a pretty container on the mantle of the fireplace, right beside her picture and an angel cat. This gives me a peace of knowing she is not far away.

Both our boys are in their pretty containers on our dresser. When I die, the big guy will be interred with me. When DH dies, the little one will be interred with him.

Guest CannonsMom

everyone (as in all the pets we've ever had) are in my parents back yard in a shoe box :(

when the 3 stooges pass....I DONT KNOW WHAT I AM GONNA DO, and i dont even wanna think about it ... :cry1

I picked a spot at a local park to spread the ashes and it kind of gives me a place to go when I want to feel close to him. I don't know why. It just does. I didn't realize until later that this was an area in the park that had been left open (no trees or banches or game fields) because the ground level was lower than the rest of the park and if you sit somewhere along the edge for a while, birds will fly in and swoop around very low to the ground and do all these flying acrobatics. I think it's because the wind resistance is less which makes it easier to glide around in without having to flap their wings or something. Anyway, it's neat because it always gives me the feeling that my dog is now free, running around wherever that might be. I don't know if I explained that right, but it just turned out to be the best place I could have possibly picked to spread his ashes and it was the first time I could actually feel okay about where he went.

Jay

Guest mantis

Our Jerry is in our back yard. The morning after his passing I took the day off from work and took care of him and stayed home to comfort my dad we both had a good cry and afterward we sat down and remembered all of the things that he did to make us laugh. I also wrote Good-bye Jerry Lee that day. It was a sad day but it was also a day of remembrance. After he went to the bridge the house just didn't feel the same so empty and quite.

We mourned for about a month then we got Suzie I've often wondered if it was to soon, but now I wouldn't trade Suzie for anything. I see a lot of Jerry in her likes and dislikes. I'm done rambling now. :sad1:sad1:brokenheart:angel:angelwings

Gosh, I dont' know.....I've been thinking about this though.....because my bulldog is so sick.......just a matter of time........what if they go on a weekend? Can you bury them in the backyard? Are you supposed to bring them somewhere? Seriously, I have no idea, he's my first dog.

My husband, I love dearly, but he's nuts about this dog.......want's him stuffed like Roy Rogers did with Trigger.....at least he tells me that's what Roy did.......don't know much about Roy Rogers.......he tells me this to justify that it is normal to do.....but I dont' think so. I won't allow this to happen, and can't believe he's actually serious.......but who knows.

Guest auntiesara

We have a little cemetery for our urns in our garden in Vermont- their favorite place.A friend's Grey is burried in a coffin rather that cremated in a pet cemetery that is run by an animal shelter. Our cematorium also has a beautiful pet cemetery. The owners father grows prizewinning roses there. As with people I believe you can arrange for perpetual care. Many people keep the urn because their home situation isn't permanent or suitable for a little grave in the backyard. FaeRae's dad kept her with him for 10 months and burried her just before the ground froze so she could be with her Angel siblings. You will feel when they are ready to be burried if that is your preference.Everyone has a special plan that they feel comfortable with. Some preferto leave their loved one at the vet for group cremation if they feel the pet is now in heaven and doesn't care about the disposition of the body. it's just heartbreaking that their lifespan is so short compared to people's. Also in our experience the anniversary date is also a difficult time.

Sara and one Doberman and four Greyhound Angels

Guest PrestosJeff

We're planning a memorial garden in our backyard for Miss Chipper's ashes with perhaps a statue of St. Francis or a sculpture of a cat made from a sheet of copper.

Guest KaseysMom

We bury ours at the back of our yard in a woody area. We live outside the city limits, so it is okay to bury on our property. We have lived here for 13 years, and plan to stay here probably forever, thus the reason for burial rather than cremation. Our beloved keeshonds, our precious kitty, even the gerbils and the hermit crabs are buried back there.

My girl's ashes are still in the plastic box from the crematory. Sitting on a shelf. I need to do SOMETHING with them, but can't bring myself to. I'm not the only one with this issue though. I noticed recently at a friend's house that there were boxes from the same crematory of some pets they had lost.

My "plan" is to get a custom made box to put some in and scatter some in places that she loved.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest 8_Greyt_Greys

our is in the back yard in my flower garden . i feel close to them. i put a special plant in there spot . so when that plant blooms i say they are happy. goofy but it make me feel ok

my heart dog Max is in a box on my dresser...all my pets will be cremated and when I die I am to be cremated and I told everyone I want our ashes mixed together then spred us some where there are no "confines" just let our earthly remains blow in the wind

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest PrestosJeff
our is in the back yard in my flower garden . i feel close to them. i put a special plant in there spot . so when that plant blooms i say they are happy. goofy but it make me feel ok

I like your idea about putting a special plant in their place. Thanks a lot for sharing it. I think I'll do something similar for Miss Chipper's ashes. It's nice to have a place here where we can talk about this.

:)

Susan's ashes are on the mantelpiece in the lounge - except with the Christmas decorations up she was moved to the dining room for a while to sit among the greyhound ornaments :)

I don't have a suitable garden to bury animals in, and we also plan to move soon, so she will stay with me. I like the idea of having her buried with me - I might think about doing that.

There are loads of places which have ideas about what to do, including one I bought a figurine from which they painted up to look like Suze for me. If you send them the ashes, they will incorporate them into a figurine for you. Not sure if I like that idea or not ... but it's available.

I also planted a Susan magnolia, and a Susan rose - which amazingly is white, like she was. There's also a Warm Wishes rose (her race name was Extra Wish). All those are in big pots so they can travel with us if we move. I get great comfort from those living tributes, especially when they're in bloom.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest ProudGreyMom

For my Benny, I got a pretty box with a lock on it from Michael's crafts and lined it with felt. I put the ashes into a silk bag and then put them into the box with a photo of Ben, a note to him and his dog tag. Before putting all the ashes into the bag, I kept some separate and then I went to the beach that Benny loved and I had a ceremony for him and released the ashes into the breeze. I wrote his name in the sand and drew a heart.

I have all the ashes of my pets at the Bridge, in the wooden urns that were supplied as part of the cremation package. Upstairs in my spare bedroom/office room I have one dog (Tess) and three cats (Whisp, Conker & Amber). On a high shelf in my living room, I have Del's ashes in his wooden casket which came back from the crematorium with some dried flowers (a nice touch). My plan is that all my animals will be buried with me.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest DundeeToddsMom

I have Buster in the box from the crematorium sitting on our bedroom dresser with a candle. :angelwings

He will go with us if we ever move.

My "Van" is on the cedar chest in and urn with his picture on it and his collar and a copy of the rainbow bridge with his name on it next to him. His little sister "Connie" will go over to the urn and put her nose up to it like she is say "I miss you" :candle

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

I made an urn for Joe. Now I make urns as a regular part of my work. Mostly cats and greyhounds, but I've done a dachshund and a Belgian Shepherd.

Pet urns

Joe's remains are on my mantle. I wanted to be able to bring him with me if we ever move.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

My six angels, 3 Siberian Huskies, 2 Rottweilers and 1 Greyhound, were all cremated. The 3 Huskies are together in a large porcelain urn my friends brought back from Singapore. The others are in porcelain urns purchased for that purpose. When I go, they will be interred with me. Our kitty angels and iguana are buried on my in-laws (family) property together with all their kitties and puppers. There is a rose garden where they lay.

I always plant a rose bush for each in my own garden too... I have tags on the bushes with their names. :angel

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY

Guest PrestosJeff
We're planning a memorial garden in our backyard for Miss Chipper's ashes with perhaps a statue of St. Francis or a sculpture of a cat made from a sheet of copper.

I have Buster in the box from the crematorium sitting on our bedroom dresser with a candle.  He will go with us if we ever move. 

My six angels, 3 Siberian Huskies, 2 Rottweilers and 1 Greyhound, were all cremated. The 3 Huskies are together in a large porcelain urn my friends brought back from Singapore. The others are in porcelain urns purchased for that purpose.

After reading everyone's posts, I'm not as sure about what I want to do with MissChipper's ashes as when I first posted above. I'm thinking we might move one day, and I hate the thought of leaving her behind. Maybe I'll keep the ashes in an urn like many of you have talked about. My partner and I talked about comingling our ashes with the pets, and having someone scatter them in a special place after we're all gone. You've really made me think about it; I go to pick-up Miss Chipper's ashes later today.