Is Anyone Else Experiancing This?

Guest Ferrevergrey

Guest Ferrevergrey

I don't know if it's because I've been going through old pictures of our beloved Sandy, or why for sure, but it seems like there's something missing this holiday season. Sandy only shared one christmas with us, but it was defianatly the most memerable christmas of my life so far. He added so much to the holidays, he drove all the stress away. This February will mark 2 years since we lost him so quickly and unexpectidly, and I find that I'm starting to miss him more then ever right now. I've had many pets that I've loved over the years, and many of them have now crossed the rainbow bridge. I don't know why Sandy is so different, but without him, life just doesn't seem full in this house. I love Kristi more then anything else on this earth-but I miss Sandy so much!!!! Does anyone know anything I can try to lift my spirits and get into the holiday season? Right now I'm just so lonely for Sandy. I miss everything about that curly haired angel of a dog, his jingling tags, his roo by the door when he wanted to go out, his little happy dance, everything. It's as though I just lost him yesterday!

Guest ZiaGrey

I'm so sorry, Lydia! It's really hard to think about a pet that's gone. I have a few myself. It may well be that looking at the photos brought some sadness in.

How about thinking about the fun times and realizing that if Sandy could talk to you now, he'd probably want you to cheer up. Since he loved you so much, he wouldn't want you to be sad. You can still love him because the spirit that was once in that body is still around and may one day inhabit another pet of yours. That's how I see it, anyway.

Cheer up and be here for your animals and mom. :)

I think the holidays are especially hard and make us feel even more deeply the losses of our closest friends - human and animal alike. You have my sympathy.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest Ferrevergrey

Thanks you two. Sandy taught me so much in the short time I had him. The shelter told us he was really old and unadoptable because of his age-turns out he was only 5-6, not old at all. I don't know if we'll ever quite missing him!

Edited by Animalover44

In time, you will feel the pain of losing Sandy lessen, but you will always carry his memory and love in your heart.

I think the holidays are particularly hard for those of us who have lost a family member whom we loved so much.

If I feel depressed over a loss, I go to a room by myself and light a candle in their memory. While the candle burns, I think of the good times we had together and I may even cry.

When I am ready, I blow out the candle and return to what ever else is going on in the rest of the house, or I may do something else that gives me pleasure..chocolate?? play some good music?

Take time for yourself when you need it.

Guest argolola

The holidays are the time when we really miss those who are no longer with us. And no matter how short a time we had an animal, when they are our heart animal, it forms a bond that cannot be broken. With that in mind, treasure those memories in a happy way.

When I lost Zombie, I wasn't giving Lola the attention that I normally would, because I felt so bad about Zombie. My DH made me realize that the animals here need us, and although we love and cherish those at the Bridge, we need to be there for the ones we still have.

Hang in there. We are here for you. :grouphug

Guest Ferrevergrey

The candle sounds like a good idea. I've cried nearly every night thinking about Sandy lately. I think part of the reason we miss him so horribly is because of all the what ifs. What if I hadn't choosen that family, what if we had taken him with us, what if we had never gone at all, what if we had made sure they truely understood what we where telling them, there's a million of things that I could have done differently, and any one of those things could have made it so Sandy was sitting by my mom's side today, but what's the use living in regret. What's done is done, Sandy is gone, but somehow even though in my mind I know Sandy isn't here, sometimes my heart says he is. Kristi's funny, she knows when I'm getting down, and she makes an extra effort to be her usually cheery self. I'm so glad I have Kristi in my life, and I don't think I would if I'd never had Sandy. I brougth Kristi home about a month and a half after we brought Sandy home, and I honestly think that if my mom hadn't brought Sandy home when I was in so much emotional pain after euthanizing Taz, I don't think I would have opened my heart up enough to fall in love with Kristi, and she wouldn't be my spoiled little angel today.

Lydia, it's ironic how the happiest time of the year is notorious for depressing the heck out of us. This will be our first Christmas without Buzz, our pound puppy. We lost him to kidney failure in late October. He would have been 6 years old in November. Buzz used to sit and stare at the hanging stockings because he knew at least one of them belonged to him. We're going to miss him this Christmas just like we miss him every day.

We're going to make donations of food, toys and/or cash to our local shelter in Buzz's memory. It doesn't lessen the sadness of missing him but it could make the difference of giving other dogs/cats more time to find a forever home. Maybe you could do the same for the shelter where you found Sandy.

Whatever you do remember "this too shall pass" and you are not alone in your sadness.

pam

Guest ProudGreyMom

I am missing Benny big time. He passed in July but this will be my first Christmas without him in 14 years :( . He always liked to sit in the pile of presents while they were being opened.

I'm sorry you are feeling down about Sandy. Remember the good times, maybe put a nice picture on the tree.

Guest Ferrevergrey

I am making a donation to Best Friends in Sandy's memory. I won't support the shelter he came from anymore. I use to volunteer there a few times a week, but to make a long story short, lets just say that the shelter has gone down hill so far that I think the only way it will ever change is if they get a new manager. They euthanize animals when there are empty cages, they attack rescues and try to shut them down, and it's turned into a nightmare that I won't support. Best Friends helps so many animals like Sandy every year that have no where else to go, and gives them a second chance at loving family, or at least a place to stay where they will never know abuse or hunger again.

Guest ProudGreyMom

That's a wonderful idea. I donate to Animal Lovers in memory of my pets. Just think of how happy they are at the bridge romping in the Christmas paper, pulling off bows, going PP on the Christmas trees - an no one gets mad at them! :)

Guest Ferrevergrey
:lol I never thought of it that way!!! Sandy loved the wrapping paper-but he was to much of a gentle man to even dream about peeing on the tree! He never had a single accident in the house!

Guest FullMetalFrank

I know for me, the holidays are always extra hard after my late husband's death although it was years ago and my life has moved forward. This year it's added to with Iberia being gone. I have come to understand that it's pretty normal to have those kind of intensified sad feelings and I just try to take good care of myself and talk about the happy memories. Lighting a candle or making a donation are excellent ideas (and also advice I have been given to help me through!) Be kind to yourself; we're only human after all.

I like the idea of putting a picture up on the tree; I am trying to figure out some ornaments I can make with photos of all our pets, that will be durable enough to hand down to the kids one day.

I agree that the holidays cause us to think about times past and loved ones who are no longer with us. It's natural to feel nostalgic this time of year and to feel those losses more keenly.

This will be our first Christmas without our 14+ y/o greyhound boy, Brynny, who left us on 10/26/03. Our basset boy, Tristan, went to the bridge on 12/26/99, so we will have two sad anniversaries the day after Christmas.

We miss our best friends because they were such a huge part of our lives and we loved them so.

I hope you will find comfort in happy memories, but it's okay to cry, too. Dealing with grief is a very personal thing, so do what feels right.

Hugs,

Nancy

Guest Ferrevergrey

Thank you everyone for your support. You'd think it would be easier this year, since I didn't have him last Christmas either, but if anything, it's harder. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because of the tention that's been in our house lately, or everything else catching up to me. I hope some day I will be able to think of Sandy's life without tears, but that day hasn't come yet.

Guest auntiesara

I couldn't bear to look at photos of our first dog, Mocha Doberman for 5 years. Holidays are very sad since they are as much part of our family as Grandparents who have passed. Do you have the urn in your house or is there a little grave? The florist can make a lovely holiday arrangement that is suitable to place on the grave, if you'd like to remember your angel that way. FaeRae died on 1/6/03, but we only buried her urn in our pet cemetery in our garden at our summer home in Vt on mon. I also leaned the day before that our neighbor needed me to help her find a vet who makes euthanasia homevisits on sun pm for her Teddy- only 8 but his pain wasn't managable with the fentanol patch. I rarely read the rememberance section because I burst into tears. Time heals somewhat and I hope you have faith to share my belief that we WILL see them again. Sara

Edited by auntiesara

Guest Ferrevergrey

I do believe that someday I will get to see my curly haired angel again. We don't have an urn or a grave. My mom made the decision to just have a group creamation, where his ashes aren't returned to us. Sometimes I wish we had gotten an urn with the ashes, but it wasn't my decision to make.

We put a memorial for Joe on the BF website Joe's memorial page

It really does feel like a place to "go" to visit. I have his ashes here, but there is something about having a place that others can also visit that makes him seem more alive...

I'll bet it would help you, too.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)