Do you have pet insurance?

Bevd

I was wondering how common pet insurance was and how much you have to pay per dog in your area.

Also, for those with insurance (or without for that matter) I was wondering what the most common claims were for (in other words - what sorts of illnesses or accidents are greys seemingly prone to).  I'm such a nosey old bat today :)

BTW - Maddison is insured and his policy costs approx £12 per month and it will go down to £11 once he has been neutered.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

We do not have insurance on Chewy.  I'm really not that familiar with it here in Texas.  It would have come in handy with Chewy's $2000. bill though.

Guest Greytdawg

I carry a basic policy here. It runs $11.75 a month. I have used it a few times when we were trying to DX her in the beginning, but every company has different rules. By the time you have the per incident deductible and they follow a pay out guideline, you really have to think if it's worth it. PLUS you have to carry a separate cancer rider on this company. I didn't do that.

I have insurance on my two.  We pay around $50 a month for both.  We have Advantage Plus with the Vaccination and Routine care added to the policy.  Here is a link to their web site.

Vet Pet Insurance

I have been happy with the way they pay claims.  I really haven't had to use it but for routine care...but it is nice to know we have it in case of some emergency.

Jenn, Devo & JJ

Guest SaidyLou_MaddieToo

Both my girls are insured.  I pay about $12/month each and what a life saver.  Saidy has had two major problems with fees in excess of $400.  I've gotten about 60% on both.  I think I'm ahead about $350 right now.  With 4-5 years of unknown medical histories, the insurance gives me peace of mind that any medical decision I will need to make will not be made on behalf of finances.  That and $24/month is much easier to part with than $800 out of the blue.

I have Premier Pet Insurance for 2 greys and one cat.  I got the medium cost policy and it runs me $530.00 a year.

So far I've been satisfied with it.  The thing I liked about this one is that it is a once a year $100 deductible per pet as opposed to a deductible for every incident.  

The cost is based on age of dog and breed of dog.  Greys are somewhat higher because of their past history of racing.

After reading on this site all the medical problems greys can have ... I decided to get pet insurance.

Using Veterinary Pet Insurance. Cost: $312 .. this includes vaccinations and routine care coverage. I did check into the background of the insurance company writing the policy and they have been in busines a long time.

Got the policy in June and thankfully I have not used to date.

I have seen pamplets, for pet insurance, at the Vet hospital where I work.  I have heard people say you should read all of the 'fine print' when looking at pet insurance, as some companies have many rules about what is and isn't covered.

But because I work at a Vet hospital, Tall gets a HUGE discount on any proceedures, meds and even food.  He gets one free dental per year (that's cleaning, extractions and x-rays).  Frankly, I was shocked (when I saw my first bill) at how much prescriptions are marked up!  The pills do not cost that much, but the 'filling fees' can be astronomical  :eek  Thank goodness I don't have to pay that 'filling fee'!

I sorta looked into it but finally opted against it because I have so many animals - 3 dogs, 4 cats, 2 parrots, 4 parakeets.  I don't think they offer "group" insurance for private individuals.  Our vet is great and started giving us the 15% senior citizen discount way before we actually were (seniors, that is).  That is for everything - heartworm pills, Advantage, prescriptions, etc.

Mary in Houston

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I have insurance NOW............AFTER I spent $9000 on Brindle.  Of course I haven't needed it since. For 2 dogs, it costs $525/yr. (VPI insurance)

Guest Laurie J and Della

Della has VPI too, and I'm about to file my first claim later this week after I get the rest of the paperwork signed and mailed.  I didn't realize that you have to have the vet sign the claim form, even if you are being reimbursed and not the vet.  Now I have claim forms printed out and ready to go with us the next time we have a vet visit.  I paid for the plan that covers her routine care and her Sentinel because it was cheaper to pay VPI for it than to pay the vet for the Sentinel.  We also got the double cancer benefits, after watching what some others here have gone through.  I think we pay 22.00 a month, it's automatically charged to our credit card.