Bruising after running???

Guest Jan

Monday I took Jacob for a run at a nearby ballfield.  When he was finished he was limping a bit, but it didn't seem serious.  In fact he didn't whimper when I examined and prodded his muscles but he did have a difficult time getting into the van and going into a down position.

Just a few minutes ago, I looked down and saw that the inside of his thigh was bright red just under the skin.  Is it possible for this to happen just from straining a muscle or from his run on Monday.  I noticed yesterday it was a little pink, but not like this at all.

He's not limping anymore and he's not having any difficulty moving around but still, I'm a little worried.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Red%20Spot.JPG

:-) Jan

Guest 3-greys-and-a-mutt

My Buddy gets marks like these sporadically - often after exertion or a collision.  He has very sensitive skin, and bruises, cuts and scrapes very easily.  I have assumed that it is normal bruising or flushing, and never really worried about it.  Maybe I should be more worried about it??????!

Maybe someone else has been to the vets about this problem??

Jan... how does Jacob feel about have a picture of his butt posted for all to see?  :cry

From what you said happened and the look of his leg, it is probably just a strain that left him with a big bruise. As long as he seems to be walking and laying down okay, I wouldn't worry about it much.

If it gets bigger in the next day or so, it is worth the call/visit to the vet.

Maybe call the vet anyway to see if there is anything to do with a strained muscle (not sure if you would ice a dog or not).

Hope he isn't too embarrassed by this pic!

Next time, not such a wide angle shot please, this is a family site :lol

Is it possible that while running his front paws were hitting his back legs? It is pretty far back, but something to think about.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Guest SaidyLou_MaddieToo

Ouch!  Saidy gets something similar after hard runs, especially when it is chilly out.  I always blamed it on her thighs rubbing together.   :rasberry  Such a piggy.  Her spots never bother her, but if they did, I would probably drag her into the vet...again, more for my peace of mind than anything.  Hope he feels better, and you too.

Both mine have very white legs, and from playing and running into each other, they have both experienced bruises like that.  They look horrible, and usually look worse before they look better, but it has never really slowed them down any.

Jenn, Devo & JJ

:lol Jeff...

When I told Paula I was going to post a picture of it, she said, "make sure you don't get his hoo hoo, in the picture.  :lol

Well, she didn't say, hoo hoo, but I think you know what I mean.  :lol

Anyway, he's got a cute little bum and he didn't mind a bit when I told him I was going to post it for everyone to see.  He was just more concerned with what you all thought his red spot was.  He's kinda worried too. ???

Jan,

When we first got Berts he had something very similar to this. I took him to the vet and he said his leg was bruised.  I know I waited a couple of days to take him in, but it did look worse before it got better.  Vet just said to make him take it easy a few days.   As I remember, it was gone within a few days.  

If it makes you feel better to call your vet, I would call.

Tell Jacob not to worry, he will feel better soon.  

Chris, Monster & Berts

p.s.  Monster & Berts think Jacob deserves a peanut butter cookie.

Festus came in from a jolly good romp outside with something like that on his chest, and I almost fainted when I say it...we were freaking out.  But it went away in a couple of days, and I know what a loon he is outside, so I figured he bruised himself on some branches. (He and Angel like to play tag in the most crowded dangerous parts of the yard.  I think I need to just get out there with the chain saw!)

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

I have seen similiar things on Blaze.  Only time I worried was when I saw the skin was broken very close to his p-jigger.  I wouldn't worry unless the skin was broken or unless the dog was in obvious discomfort.  

:0 Bruising is bleeding under the skin, so I would keep an eye on it, and if it gets worse or happens again, I would check with vet.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Funny you should mention this and have a picture as we saw the same thing on Mandys' chest last night (see thread on limping aslo by Greypower -my DW).  

She also was running on Monday with a playgroup here in Ottawa.  She had a great time, ran a lot, and did not make contact with any other greys.  I am perplexed by this brusing also.  With the leg hurting as it is I am sure there is a logical explanation, we shall see...

Hope you figure it out Jan.

- ps next time post the hoo-hoo/p-jigger pic and you won't get as many replies...

Denis  :devil   ->   :clown

That's exactly how Sandy's "undercarriage" looked after she fell down a flight of stairs on Memorial Day weekend.

Took about 2 weeks to completely go away.

Looks scarey, doesn't it?

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

I'm glad to report that Jacob's bruise already looks better today.

It was a relief to hear that this has happened to some of your dogs out there too.  

Thank goodness for this board.  It really gives you peace of mind to know that you are not alone with your doggy questions.

Thank everyone.

:-) Jan