What's in your dog food?

gryhndsr4us

Ever wondered what all that gibberish means on the dog food ingredients label? :0

Check out this website

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/wolfepack/foodcht1.html

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/wolfepack/foodcht2.html

The first site does have a link to the second. The second is full of good information and links to a list of the various brands of dog food and the ingredients in them. No opinions given just information.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

My rottweiler Max only eats B.A.R.F.  but there are a few brands of kibble that are holistic and only use human grade ingredients. Wellness is very good if you feed kibble. This is in Wellness.

Chicken, Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, White Fish, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Millet, Canola Oil, Flax Seed, Amaranth, Dried Peas, Dried Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Whole Apples, Whole Blueberries, Whole Clove Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Yucca Schidigera, Shark Cartilage, Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate, plus essential vitamins and minerals.

Not as good as feeding raw, but better than most brands.

Hi "My Rottie"

A few of us here feed BARF to our greys -- I've been feeding Thunder BARF for almost 2 years now and he's done really well on it :)  

I agree that Wellness is a great food.  I also recommend Innova, CA Natural, Nature's Recipe (Group Specific Formula only), Solid Gold, Pinnacle, Precise Sensicare (not Foundation), Canidea, and a few others that I'm forgetting.  

Anyhow, welcome :)

Cindy and Thunder

And Clint (the foster)

Cindy Missing my Thunder... Copper and Cowboy

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

GPA-Wisconsin E-Bay Benefit Auctions

Our rescue group recommeneded Nurto ... but Dom had the runs from this. Then tried Eukanuba and it was the same thing.... the runs plus she was did not want to eat the Eukanuba. Finally bought Authority ... just because it was there. Dom is eating and also ... her stools are "perfect".

But I have been wondering just how healthy Authority is as I had never even heard about it. So ...I am going to check out that site and compare. Thanks

After reading what was on that website and comparing ingredients I switched Clark and Gypsy to Natural Blend. All human grade ingredients, they love it! their coats are softer and have more shine. Stools are smaller and firmer.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Guest 3-greys-and-a-mutt

Quote from Cindy and Thunder, posted on Oct. 09 2001,09:24,am

I agree that Wellness is a great food.  I also recommend Innova, CA Natural, Nature's Recipe (Group Specific Formula only), Solid Gold, Pinnacle, Precise Sensicare (not Foundation), Canidea, and a few others that I'm forgetting.  

Where does everyone find these foods?  I have heard these brand names mentioned before, but I've never seen them at our local SuperPetz, Pet Supplies Plus, or any of the area farm supply/feed stores.  I have heard good things about Innova, and was considering researching for a possible switch, but I haven't seen it anywhere!

Around here, the only "quality/more expensive":sigh :satisfied  brands I see are Iams, ProPlan, Science Diet, Nutro, and a few others (I think I've seen Nature's recipe in our stores).  We feed Nutro Natural Choice, but lately, Paula and Buddy have been less interested in what's in their bowls.  We were starting to thik of switching to something different, but I don't want to go down in quality.  I'm sure they'd eat Alpo, but I can't do that! :P  

Quote:

Around here, the only "quality/more expensive"   brands I see are Iams, ProPlan, Science Diet, Nutro, and a few others ...

YUK  SD is not high quality.  Its (in my humble opinion only) the worst food available.  Just read the label and you'll see!

I find many quality foods at several non-chain pet food stores in Madison, WI.  (Animart and Noah's Ark for anyone around here).  

You can go to the web-site in teh opening post of this thread and find each food's web-site ... all of the sites have "Store Locator" functions.

I know that Nature's Recipe is sold at PetsMart (again, I only recommend the group specific formula).

Don't forget to ask the store if they can carry a food -- many of the smaller stores will be happy to oblidge!  It can also be ordered factory direct from many companies and shipped right to your door!  

There is a web-site to comapre/purchase many of the higher end foods (including IVD) but I can't remember what it is!  I've been wracking my brain to find it but can't  ???  Maybe someone knows what the heck I'm talking about and can help!!!

Cindy

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

Guest 3-greys-and-a-mutt

Quote from Cindy and Thunder, posted on Oct. 10 2001,09:23,am

Quote:

Around here, the only "quality/more expensive"   brands I see are Iams, ProPlan, Science Diet, Nutro, and a few others ...

YUK  SD is not high quality.  Its (in my humble opinion only) the worst food available.  Just read the label and you'll see!

That's why I included the "more expensive" part, LOL!

:lol  :devil  

That's not a bad idea, asking a smaller feed store to carry a preferred product!  

I know people who order their dog food online, and I refuse to do that.  We go through 40 pounds in about a week and a half to two weeks.  I would be afraid of running out of food, and not being able to order for several weeks due to a computer virus.  Those recent 'worm' attacks had us out of commission at home for a few weeks - what if I had been depending on the internet to order dog food?  YIKES!  :eek

I wish the chain stores would carry everything, though!  

Mirage had colitis when I first got her and wouldn't eat. I took her to the vet and he put her on a bland diet that I continue to this day. It is a grewl made with chicken, rice, mustard greens, carrots, green beans and cornmeal. It smells wonderful while it is cooking but doesn't have much in the way of flavor. I mix it with some science diet adult maintanance and she is thriving on it! :)

It takes a couple of hours to make a pot of grewl but is much cheaper than kibble per lb and has NO colors, preservatives or by products.

Want the recipe?

Bill

Mirage (My Dad cooks for me! I'm spoiled!)

& Buster (Food? I don't care what it has in it... I'll eat it!)

Quote:

wonderful while it is cooking but doesn't have much in the way of flavor. I mix it with some science diet adult maintanance and she is thriving on it!  

It takes a couple of hours to make a pot of grewl but is much cheaper than kibble per lb and has NO colors, preservatives or by products.

I am not trying to 'start' anythign but the SD you're feeding has chemical preservatives, by-products, and no meat!!!!

From the SD web-site (http://www.sciencediet.com/adultdog/caorigdry.asp) for their Adult Dry food:

Dry: Corn meal, chicken by-product meal, soybean meal, animal fat (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), natural flavor, vegetable oil, dried egg product, flaxseed, preserved with BHT and BHA, beta-carotene, minerals (salt, calcium carbonate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid (a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

I would love to start experimenting with food again.

Buddy (the only one here who isn't on Prescription Diet for something!) is and has always eaten Iams Mini Chunks.  When we adopted our first grey, the adoption group recommended it.  I've tried to switch him several times, but he ALWAYS gets infected and impacted anal glands.  We've tried Pro Plan, and, after reading the prior food posts on here, Nutro (the small sized kibble).  The Nutro was the worst glad problem we've experienced.  Any suggestions on how to avoid this problem? I'd love to try Innova or Natural Blend.

Also, anyone know of something to use in place of Science Diet's Prescription Diet k/d?  Both of our seniors are on it.

Thanks

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

My four all eat Science Diet t/d and Science Diet Maintenance for big dogs.  They are in FANTASTIC condition, both physically and mentally.  They have gorgeous coats, white teeth, and firm poop.  My opinion is whatever works best for your specific dog is what's best for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Another link:

www.api4animals.org

I hope.  I'll check and if it's not, I'll correct.

While it's true that you should use what your dog does well on (thank goodness there are many foods made), I would encourage everyone to consider and research what ethyoxoquin and BHA do long term to the dog as well as inferior grains.

Diane

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits