6 Important toll free numbers every pet owner shou

Many times in life, help is so near that we often forget where to find it. It is so near and sometimes free that we just don’t remember where we left such vital information. We even have an information overload yet we seem to forget where to find simple information when needed. The internet is not helping either, with every website hoping to lure you with cool features that majority of them have an “online Veterinarian on staff” but still you can’t talk to a real person who will understand your problem and help your need. That is the case of many of us who are pet owners. We know our vets and his emergency number and that is it. Should there be a disaster, loss of Fido to an accident, rare poison that your local vet and you do not know about, and recovery of a stolen or lost pet back home. Well, I really don’t know someone once told me. Help to me is still with a simple phone call, an old box invented by Mr. Bell. I have pulled together from my e-book of pet resources and helpful phone numbers these 6 important toll free numbers every pet owner should have on their fridge at home. A blue print of vital information when you need one. Free help to solving landlord-tenant issues, vet problems, neglect and any form of abuse, where to call for emotional support for those who have lost an animal friend or are anticipating the loss of their pet, even where to spay your pet for little to nothing. Your vet is great but it doesn’t hurt to save some money. These toll numbers are not only important; they can help to save lives.

1. National Pet Recovery Hotline: 1 800 984 8638. Whenever your pet is lost, this is one of your first places of help to report your missing friend. This 24-hour service will help you to locate your pet. Lost pets usually end up in an animal shelter before the county or city steps in. Members pay $25.00 for the lifetime of the pet or $55.00 to find the pet for free and non-members pay $50 and above.

2.Legal Hotline: 1 800 555 6517. I think my neighbors are abusing their pet. Can I do any thing to stop them? Here is the number to call. To know your rights and how to go about expressing your displeasures, this number is for you. But try not to call because you don’t that like someone’s method of training his or her dog. Animal Legal Defense Fund help with landlord-tenant issues, vet problems, neglect and any form of abuse.

3. National Animal Poison Control Center: 1 888 426 4435. In a life and death situation when every minute counts for your cat, dog or other pet, this 24-hour manned emergency number is your pet lifesaver. Sponsored in part by 36 different companies along with a $45.00 charge for consultation.

4. Emergency Disaster Hotline: 1 800 22 7 4645. Provided by the American Humane Association, this number is your first point of call in earthquake preparedness for your pets or any disaster, what to do and where to go. They provide support and relief information.

5. Pet Loss Support Hotline: 1 888 478 7574. Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine provides a source for emotional support for those who have lost an animal friend or are anticipating the loss of their pet.  Veterinary students at the college man this free service.  A 24-hour touch phone line where you can leave a message and someone will return your phone call.  Seven days a week 6:00pm-9:00pm CST, May to August, Wednesdays and Fridays 6:00pm-9:00pm. This free service is funded by the Iams Company and dedicated in memory of Krista Rankin who organized the initial

6. Spay HeIpline: 1 800 248 SPAY. One way to prevent several unwanted lovely pets from ending up in shelters or destroyed is to spay or neuter them. Thousands of abandoned and unwanted pets are euthanized yearly due to over irresponsible breeding and other factors. So before you consider giving off your pet to the shelter, this organization can help you. SPAY USA provides free or low cost services to all. Call them for an appointment and locations of over 950 programs and clinic nationwide. Your local Shelters also help in providing similar services.

Dr. Olakunle Ayeni DVM

Dr. Ayeni is a Veterinarian, educator and founder of Animal Show And Sport Network Inc. Chicago. He has written many articles and e-books, some of which are “ 16 most important telephone numbers every pet owner should know”.

To download a full copy of this free e-book go to  http://www.animalevent.com/ebook

• 2 weeks later...