Some Days I Don't Know What To Say...

Forevermybabies

We went to pick up SM at the vet today, and I asked my 10 yo son to put my earrings in the little jewelry box that I have in the car (I don't usually - long story). When I came back to the car, he was wearing my memory anklet that I had made with Joe's name, racing name, and a little charm of a greyhound with wings. I said, you can wear that, but you have to be really careful, okay?

Anyway, it really opened a floodgate of emotion from him to have that. He was just SOBBING and SOBBING. We talked about Joe for awhile, and remembered him. It's just amazing to me that it can be so fresh in his heart after two years. He was weeping as if Joe had just died.

I think maybe having SM so sick was hard for him, and made him worry and feel the pain of losing Joe all over again.

My other son kept asking us to please stop talking about it because it was making him sad.

I just don't know what to say sometimes. I think it's good to remember him, and talk about him, but then maybe I'm just upsetting my kids more...

They're fine now, btw, and he put the anklet back in the box.

He said he wanted to talk about him because he feels like he starts to forget him - what he looked like, and what he did.

Ah, sigh...

We miss ya Joe.

32322718.jpg

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

I'm so sorry. :( It probably is good to talk through the emotions though.

Angel Sonny aka Whistlin Bill, 62314; Carmella aka Eg Rain Dust, 81693

Plus Boudreaux, Calzone & Hops the cats, Katie & Tony the humans and our Terrific Skinkids Tommy and Jimmy

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars...Oscar Wilde

Guest BleusysMom

I'm sorry those floodgates got opened....But, I think You did a greyt job with the boys.....

And, I bet your 10 year old was happy he was able to verbalize some of those feelings.....for a bad situation, I think You did a Greyt Job with the Kids.....

Guest cindysmom

I agree with Bluesy's Mom. I think it's very healthy for them to be able to express their feelings, and I think you hit the nail on the head about him being so worried about SSM. It's amazing how children can be so different. It sounds like you have one who is comfortable enough to vocalize what he is feeling and another who internalizes a bit, hence, the being uncomfortable talking about Joe. Either way, it sounds like you are doing a fine job.

:cry1:bighug

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ProudGreyMom
:( I feel so bad for you but on the better side of things I am glad that your son is so kind and sensitive toward his pets. That's the sign of a future good hearted man! I love to talk about Benny, my bridge boy, but DH asks me not to. Everyone grieves differently, and remembers differently.

Oh my gosh, I thought something happened to SM. Thankful that he's ok.

Sorry, that the pain is still so fresh. I wonder if it will ever go away?

Hugs to you and the kids!

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

He had another little crying jag in the bathroom later last night with my DH. He wanted to know where the urn was, and touch it.

Then he was hugging SM, and calling him his baby...so I definitely think that scared him - SM having surgery. He didn't know that he was going in, and didn't hear about it until it was over (he was in school, and apparently he didn't hear about it yesterday.)

I know that I was feeling emotional and teary, and I can imagine that kids just aren't as good as holding it in as we adults have learned to be.

I, too, am glad that my kids have so much love and caring for the dogs. It'll make them good adults. :)

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

I think you handled that situation in the car perfectly.

That's a great pic of Joe :heart

:cry1

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!