Greyhound Misconceptions

Jeff

Lets compile a list that might be of use to potential adopters.

Please add your thoughts. Although not necessary see if you can add a supporting statement to go along with your misconceptions.

I’ll start:

Common Greyhound Misconceptions

Greyhounds wear muzzles because they are vicious.

False. Greyhounds are competitive when they race

Greyhounds do not make good pets.

False. Ask the hundreds of thousands of adoptive owners of retired racers

Greyhounds are not good with children.

False. Most love children, but like any breed there are a few. Due to their lack of body fat, their skin is sensitive and it is easier to hurt a Greyhound during rough play.

Your Greyhounds is to skinny.

False. The small part you see on a Greyhound is where the intestines are. The stomach is enclosed within the chest cavity. Who wants fat intestines??

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Greyhounds need a LOT of exercise.

False: Greyhounds don't need any more exercise than your average dog.  They are not used to extensive  exercise, and are reknowned couch potatoes.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Greyhounds are hyper and need a large space to run.

Fact - Greyhounds are calm  95% of the time, a walk or run in a fenced in backyard will take care of the 5% energy spurt

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Here goes...

Greyhounds eat a lot of food and it is quite expensive to feed them.

FALSE:  Our greys, who are definitely retired, do not burn the amount of energy that their racing brothers and sisters do.  They eat as much any other dog their size (maybe even less) and cost about $30-35 per month to feed.

Greyhounds come off the track house-broken.

FALSE:  Most Greyhounds are used to keeping their kennel (pen) clean and are taken out several times a day to do their business.  A home situation is different.  Once out of its crate, the grey may think of the home as the outside and mess up in it.  But, they are relatively easy to train to go outside of the house.

It is cruel to keep a greyhound on a leash at all times outside.   He should be allowed to run like the other dogs.

FALSE:  Actually, it is humane to keep a grey leashed when outdoors because a grey is not street-smart.  They have no idea what a car coming down the road is.  They have no idea they may get lost chasing that squirrel or cat down the street.  They can get up to full stride in just three leaps.

I could go on and on and on...    :colgate

Greyhounds can't be in a home where there are small animals like cats, bunnies, or smaller dogs.

False. While some greys have a high prey drive, most can live comfortably with other companion animals

*They don't shed.

*Huh?  Then why do I Shop-Vac the hardwood floors every day?

*They don't bark.

*Well then, I must own the only ones on the planet who do because it's NON-STOP!!

*They don't like to rough-house play.

*Hmmmm, how do I get all of these little bruises?

I don't have any serious comments, but couldn't resist these!

Greyhounds need a house with a big yard

Greyhounds do not make good apartment dwellers

Greyhounds cannot co-exist with cats or other small pets.

Am I supposed to be putting the answers in here?

Mary in Houston

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Greyhounds are anti-social towards people and other dogs.

Depends on the dog, but seems the majority of them adjust well to home life and are happy socialable dogs.

among young children: Greyhounds only get to drink water, they don't get fed, so they are skinny.

eating comments have been posted above... they can eat like hogs - anything and everything in sight or they can be very picky at times too (just like any other dog - or human).

Guest FourGreyBabies

Greyhounds are poor riders.

False: Most greyhounds love to ride since many of them have raced  at one or more tracks and have been transported by a hauler. My Maggie Sue and Vallie Jo raced at three different tracks. When they hear the car keys jingling, they are ready to roll. :lol  :lol   :colgate  :colgate  ;)  ;)

Darlene and Puppers

Since they are already adult dogs they won't bond with you like a puppy would.

Wrong, Greyhounds will bond very closely with their person or family. Think about it, they are accustomed to living is a kennel with several turn-outs a day, and a race a couple times a week.

You are going to take him/her home and lavish him with love, attention, toys, a soft bed, a house or apartment to live in, lots of good food & treats.  He will likely bond with you more strongly then any dog you have ever had.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Brindled Greys

Greyhounds are gray.  (I think that's one color that is the most RARE in greyhounds!)

Greyhounds get their ears bobbed.  (Just not easy to see in pictures when they're racing, because of how flat they can lay them.)

Greyhounds can run all day.  (These guys are sprinters, not marathon runners!)

Greyhounds are high-strung and high-maintenance.

No to both. They run the spectrum just like most dogs, but in general, they are pretty laid-back and easy-going.

Greyhounds are mis-treated and abused at the track.

Well, not most tracks anymore. The adoption movement has really brought track treatment into the news, and things are improving... although, there's always room for improvement!

Greyhounds can't sit.

Not at all. Many greyhounds learn basic obedience, including sitting. It's just not something they do often, because of the way they are built. A question of comfort over ability.

Posted by stlgrey:

As a new grey owner, and also a volunteer for the group I adopted from, I have some goodies to add.

1.  Why do some greyhounds have scars on them?

Well because they get injured during races, they have very thin skin and may get into a scruff defending themselves in a farm environment.    

2.   Do you need a yard to keep a greyhound?  

A yard is preferred but I started out without my yard fenced, but I had to take out the girls on leads for pottie breaks, walks and anytime they needed to go out.  Now my yard is fenced so they can play and run about.  

3.  Are these dogs hyper?  

Well, my girls are about 2 years old and have puppy still in them.  They don't play anymore than any other dog would in the house and outside.  Its normal for a dog to enjoy playing and having a good time.

large.greyhound_signature.gif