about Surgical Glue

I saw in another thread that StuffieAssassins asked about using Surgical Glue on animals. Vets do use it, but I want to share an awful experience with you in hopes anyone who has a vet that suggests using the glue get  lots of info before deciding on it.

I have my cat declawed a year ago after much agonising. I don't want to get into the pros/cons of this, I was against it, but had such an aggressive indoor cat, it was a necessity. Anyway, the vet (I don't go there anymore, you'll see why) used Surgical Glue on her wounds. I kept her confined in a playpen with an E-collar on for two weeks. Her wounds hadn't even begun to heal. Going back to the vet, they told me "Oh, sometimes that happens with older cats. We'll have to put her under again and stitch them"  Boy, was I ticked! I had specifically met with this vet before I did the procedure to ask questions and get information. They never told me this! Ooh!

Anyway, after two more weeks, she healed up.

I would be skeptical about ever using the glue on Saoirse. I think it's really only effective for puppies/kittens that heal quickly.

Just my two cents...

My experience with it has been positive. When Apollo was neutered he was 2.5 years old and was only glued back together.

Also when he sliced his leg open, he was again glued back together. It was fairly bad, and the stuff worked really well. Most of the skin was intact, so that probably helped.

I guess every situation is different.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

I've had a lot of good luck with it too.  Used it on myself too when I sliced my arm and couldn't leave work to get to a doc.  Worked pretty well.  

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Austin was glued when Jodie dinged him.  I was very pleased.  Wish more vets would use in minor wounds.

I have never heard of declawing a cat and glueing.

I really believe it depends on what you are glueing and a good vet will know when to use and when not to use.

Diane

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Interesting about the declawing and glueing.

Question:  was there any difference in the aftercare as opposed to the stitching way?

My daughter has cats (they wouldn't live long here) :)

They have been declawed but it's good to know for future kittys.

Diane

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits