Edibles for Pets & People

Jeff

Danish Cinnamon Rolls..Dog Cookies

Posted by: angbruce88

Here is one that smells great when you bake them, and the greys love them!!

3 cups whole wheat flour

½ cup honey

¼ tsp. baking powder

¼ tsp. baking soda

1 Tbsp. vanilla

2 Tbsp. cinnamon

¾ cup water

Preheat oven to 325°. Mix all dry ingredients except Cinnamon. Add wet ingredients, mix thoroughly. Knead dough. Roll out into ½ inch square patty. Sprinkle cinnamon over entire surface. Roll dough into a tight log. Freeze for 30 minutes. Slice into ½ inch slices. Bake on baking sheet for 35-40 minutes. Yield 12-18 slices.

I get many more than the recipe says when I make these.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

HattieMae'S Gluco Cookies

Here's the recipe. It makes 16 cookies, each 2" in diameter. I put 16 doses of glucosamine in the dough, so for me that means I measure out 16 1/2 teaspoons. If you normally give more than 1/2 teaspoon, then increase the amount you add to the dough.

2 small jars baby meat

1 cup wheat germ

your glucosamine

Blend all into a dough. Form dough into small balls, then flatten into cookies. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 325 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. Watch carefully. For some reason the glucosamine makes the cookies tend to burn very quickly.

The cookies are more on the chewy side instead of being crispy, unless they get a little overdone. I've found that my girls will eat them even if they're fairly burned.

I haven't ever made a double batch, but if I did I think I'd refrigerate the extras - their moistness makes me think they'd mold quickly at room temperature.

My girls love them, and pester me at suppertime until they get theirs.

Dog Cookie Recipe....cut outs

Here is a recipe I copied off the Greyhound-L

It is from Maddie's Hound Tooth Bakery

My greys Love them!!

4 1/2 cups flour

1 1/3 cup cornmeal

6 tablespoons of peanut butter

1 cup of applesauce

2 eggs

1/2 cup of milk

1 egg to baste with......

Mix all dry ingred and then add PB, eggs, applesauce and milk, mix well, let stand for 15 or 20 minutes, then roll dough out on floured surface and cut into cookies.

Baste the cookies with the 1 egg and place on cookie sheet......I used a dog bone cookie cutter.

Bake in oven at 350 for 30-40 minutes

It says it makes 4 dozen but it all depends on the size you make.

Peanut Butter Biscuits

Posted by: Hattiemae

3 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup rolled oats

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 cups milk

1 1/4 cups peanut butter

1 tablespoon molasses

Combine flour, oats, and baking powder in large bowl. In smaller bowl, combine milk, peanut butter, and molasses until smooth. Stir into flour mixture. Knead until stiff. Roll out 1/4" thick, then cut out with cookie cutter. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Let cool and dry until crunchy in oven. Store in an airtight container.

Special Rewards Biscuits

Posted by: greytdawg

3 Cups Wheat Flour

3 Cups Bread Flour (I used unbleached)

1/2 Cup wheat Germ

1tsp. Salt

2Tbsp.Brown Sugar

3 Eggs

1 Cup Vegetable Oil

1 Cup Powdered Milk

1 Cup Water

Combine the whole wheat flour, bread flour, wheat germ, salt and brown sugar. Add eggs and oil and mix well.

Dissolve powdered milk in the water and incorporate into dough. Work the dough, adding more flour or water when necessary, until dough is very stiff and firm.. Cover and let rest 20 minutes.

Preheat over to 375.. Roll out dough 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough, using cookie cutter (I use a cat shaped cutter) Place biscuits on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake 40 minutes(watch them) or until browned and hard. Cool on rack and keep in air tight, doggie tight container in refrigerator. My dog loves them..

Dog Shortbread

I got this one from the Three Dog Bakery Book:

½ cup honey

¼ cup veg shortening

2 tsp. vanilla

2 cups white flour

Preheat oven to 325°.

Mix honey, shortening and vanilla with flour. Roll into golf-ball size balls. Flatten slightly and place on baking sheet. Bake approx. 25 minutes until slightly browned.

Let cool on a rack or pan, then store in a sealed container.

Makes 24 treats.

Hattiemae variation: I may try substituting whole wheat flour for the white since it's supposed to be healthier. Even though I don't eat it, there's no reason the girls shouldn't.

Canine Crunchies

Posted by:  Ellen Eve Baz

Here's the recipe for easy Canine Crunchies:

1 cup wheat germ, 2 tall jars meat/vegetable baby food, or 4 small jars meat baby food

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix ingredients thoroughly. Dough will be stiff. Pinch off pieces to form 1/2 inch balls. Place balls on greased cookie sheet and flatten with fork. Bake 20-35 minutes, until desired hardness is reached. The longer, the crunchier. Store in sealed container in fridge. May be frozen for later enjoyment.

Also, here's some Feline Cuisine recipes for our other friends, or they would also be good for tempting a dog with a poor appetite, or to serve at a silly dog birthday party, etc.

Salmon Snacks

Spread very thin pieces of fresh or crumbled canned salmon on lightly buttered bread. Top with another piece of buttered bread. Press slices firmly together and trim crusts. Cut using a fish-shaped cookie cutter. Can be stored in fridge for 2-3 days.

Kitty Creams

Fill a miniature pastry shell with whipped cream and wath kitty lap it up!

Tuna Mousse Balls

Mix tuna with a very little mayonnaise. Form into 1-inch balls. Can be stored in refrigerator for 2-3 days.

Cat poop cookies for Paula

Posted by:   Vinnie and Rexs mom

Well, she asked...

(Greyhound Companions Cookbook - reciepe from the Internet - no addy. Cookies are for people - I'll bet they'd look like dog poop if you left out the G-nuts and were creative w/ the shapes)

Can be made w/ chocolate or gingerbread ingredients.

CHOCOLATE

1/2 c. honey, 2/3 c. butter or marg., 1 egg, 1 t. vanilla or peppermint extract, 2 c. whole wheat flour,1/3 c. cocoa, 1 lg box grapenuts

GINGERBREAD

1/4 c. honey, 1/4 molasses, 2/3 c. butter or marg.,1 egg, 2 1/3 c. whole wheat flour, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves to taste, 1 lg box grapenuts

ADD INS (gross!)

coconut- tape worms, chocolate, butterscotch, or peanut butter chips, cooked spagetti or ramen noodles- round worms, peanuts for corn (food coloring - my cocker used to eat Crayolas, prettiest poop in the county)

micro about 1 min. until honey bubbles. Add butter and molasses, if any. add egg and mix well, then mix in other stuff EXCEPT G-nuts. Add mix-ins. Chill 1 hour in frezer or several hours in fridge. Roll dough in random lengths of poop. Roll logs in G-nuts. Bake 350 for 10-15 min.

Suggestions that follow include serving in BRAND NEW disposable litter box w/ CLEAN cat scoop (caps are me talking)on a bed of G-nuts. Can use plastic flys or other suggestions include (yuck) melted chocolate in box or pudding. I think you could make this reciepe work for dog poops too.

(I'm thinking dogs here, how about those pretty fall colored silk tree leaves - serve 'em on those!)

Oatmeal Treats

I found this recipe at another club I visit. I made them this morning, very simple recipe.

Oatmeal Treats

1 and 1/2 c. all purpose flour or whole wheat flour

1 c. milk (I used powdered milk)

2 eggs (or 3 egg whites)

1 t. vanilla

2 and 1/3 c. regular or quick cooking rolled oats

2 t. baking soda

Just mix it all together then drop onto lightly greased cookie sheet in 1" balls. Cook 10-12 minutes at 350. Cool. Makes about 3 dozen. I keep them refrigerated in a plastic container to make them last longer.

Potato Soup

Posted by:  greytdawg

I have the best potato soup you've ever had! It was given to me by my chef friend across the street.

The secret is canned milk. Its got 1 pound of bacon cut up and cooked, drain most of the grease and add one chopped onion and saute til soft. I used 3 good sized potatoes, peeled and grated, chicken stock-enough to cover and cook the potatoes but not so much that when you add a couple of cans of canned milk it will be runny. Also, I rinse 2 of the 3 potatoes so it isn't

too starchy.

She made this for a luncheon and it was sooooo good!

Microwave peanut butter fudge

Posted by: Vinnie and Rexs mom

1 lb powdered sugar (this equals 1 box or 3 1/2 c. packed)

1/2 c. peanut butter

1 stick of margerine

1/4 c. milk (regular, not canned)

1 t. vanilla

1/2 c. nuts (optional - I use half crunchy P.B. so I don't add the nuts)

In a glass bowl mix:

powdered sugar, milk, P.B., and margerine. Microwave on high for 2 min. Stir. Microwave for 30 more seconds. Stir well. Add vanilla and nuts. Pour in 9x9 greased pan and chill 30 min.

This stuff is to die for and it's easy, easy, easy.

Snickerdoodles (cookies)

Posted by: Jeff’s Mom

1 cup shortening (Secret is Crisco) regular or new buttered flavor 1 and half cups of sugar, 2 eggs, 2 and 3/4 cups of flour, (Not self rising) 2 teaspoons cream of tarter, 1 tsp of baking soda, 1/4 tsp of salt. Mix all ingredients, roll into 1 inch balls, then roll the balls in either cinnamon & sugar mixture or I use the colored Christmas cookie decorations. Place about 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet, They will spread out as they bake about 8-10 minutes, in 375 degree oven. Each oven is different so watch the first batch, should only be a light tan when done. Cool a minute before removing from cookie sheet. Hope you like them as much as Grey Dad

Corn Quiche

Posted by: Islandgreys

I borrowed this from Wilma's board. It sounds so good! With all that Florida corn beginning to hit the supermarkets, it's a good time of year for this recipe.

FRESH CORN QUICHE

The Mainstay Inn offers this simple brunch dish.

3 large eggs

1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped

1 tablespoon all purpose flour

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/3 cups half and half

3 tablespoons butter, melted

2 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from about 2 ears) or frozen, thawed

1 deep-dish frozen pie crust, thawed

Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine first 5 ingredients in processor; blend until onion is finely chopped. Add half and half and butter; process just until blended. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in corn. Pour into crust. Bake until filling is slightly puffed and top is golden, about 50 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool slightly. Serve warm.

Makes 6 servings.

Frosty Paws

Posted by:  Brindled Greys  

Recipe from Judadair:

"I mix a large can of pumpkin with two containers of vanilla yogurt, pour into dixie cups, place on a cookie sheet, and freeze. When frozen I store in Ziploc bags. The dogs love them just as much as the Frosty Paws, especially on a hot day."

SportsPage variation

I bought the big economy size yogurt, but for the recipe I used the equivalent of two small size yogurts--12 oz. of yogurt total

I mixed it with the large can of pumpkin and scooped it into ice trays--it made about 3 ice trays full with a little left over--it's actually not bad for humans!!

The consistency (before freezing) was fairly thick, so I guess if you want it thinner, add more yogurt.

HUSH PUPPIES

Posted by: Paula

GREYTLUCY's HUSH PUPPIES

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1 medium onion, chopped fine

3/4 cup milk

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon sugar

2 cups plain yellow cornmeal

1/4 cup all purpose flour

Vegetable oil, for deep frying

Combine eggs, onion, and milk together in a mixing bowl.

Mix baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, cornmeal, and flour together.

Then mix the dry ingredients with the milk mixture. Blend well.

Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil and cook until golden brown.

ROCK SHRIMP HUSH PUPPIES(not traditional but sounds yummy!)

Dry mix:

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

1/8 teaspoon cayenne

Combine all of the above in a bowl.

Wet mix:

2 pounds rock shrimp, cleaned and roughly chopped

1 cup milk

2 eggs

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1 teaspoon garlic, chopped

1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced

Peanut oil, for frying

Whisk all of the above ingredients. Add to dry mix and let rest in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Then spoon into 350 degree peanut oil and fry until puffed and golden.

Honey Steamed Pudding. Yum!

Posted by: Brindle Girl

3 tablespoons honey

3oz/85g butter or margarine

2 1/2oz/70g sugar

2 eggs

4oz/115g self-raising flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

2 tablespoons milk

Grease a 1 1/2 pint/860ml pudding basin and pour 1 tablespoon of the honey into the bottom.

Cream the butter and sugar together well in a mixing bowl and whisk in the remaining honey. Then beat in the eggs one at a time. Mix the flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl, then add to the creamed mixture.

Add the milk, while stirring, to make a medium soft dough.

Spoon the mixture into the pudding basin, cover with greasproof paper and steam for 1 hour 30 minutes.

Turn out onto a serving plate and then enjoy.

CANDY APPLE SALAD

Posted by: xbunnyrnr

5 granny smith or whichever you prefer apples

eight oz.cream cheese softened

eight oz. cool whip

16 carmels cut into fourths

Peel apples then cut into bite size pieces

mix together cool whip & cream cheese into a smooth mixture

add apples,carmels to the cool whip mix

Chill ~

This salad can be used as a dessert

Banana Mutt Cookies.......dog cookies

3 cups bananas mashed

1 tsp vanilla

6 cups oats

1 cup peanuts chopped

1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Use teaspoon to drop on baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and press flat. Bake for approximately 15 minutes ot until slightly brown. Cool on rack and store in airtight container. Yield approx 2 dozen cookies

• 1 month later...

Greyt Liver Cake

Posted by: Islandgreys

4 large eggs

1 cup corn meal

1 pound chicken or beef liver

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Spray large rectangle cake pan with cooking spray or butter

In food processor place 4 large eggs and beat, leave shells on.

Add 1 pound chicken or beef livers and blend until liquid

Pour in 1 cup corn meal and blend well.

Pour ingredients into cake pan and bake for 30 minutes or until firm.

You can server it as a birthday cake for your hounds or cut it into squares and use as treats.

Refrigerate leftovers.