Signature Guidelines

We all enjoy seeing pictures and text in member signatures, but in order to maintain the layout and to ensure a speedy response for members using slower dialup connections, the following guidelines are imposed on member signatures.

The new "Commercial" guidelines are to stop the look of the "Virtual Billboard" that has been becoming more prevalent.

Signature Policy

Text - 4 lines total and this includes blank lines. There is also a size limit on text: only one line of large text, no bigger than size 7; the rest of the lines of text should be size 4 or less. {the standard post text is size 3}

Images - total combined size cannot exceed 15k in file size and 500x150 image size, and should be pet related. Only one row of images. No animation other than local emoticons.

Commercial Advertisements (logos/images/text) - 275x75 image size or less and only one line of text (this goes toward your 4 lines total). Your commercial logo counts toward your total Image size of 15k and 500x150, here are two examples to use as a guide on the maximum allowable size. Advertising is limited for your own product.

Greytalk does not allow links or images promoting related forums in signatures. We do not advertise ourselves on other Greyhound forums and we expect the same courtesy in return.

sig_275x75.gif

sig_combo.gif

What is meant by pet related? We want to see pictures of your greyhounds or the other dogs or cats or bunnies or what have you that you have living with you. This is a pet greyhound board, so we'd like to keep the signature images grey related, but realize that not all people here have greyhounds and that they also have other pets in their home they'd like to show off. If you don't have a greyhound or other pet you'd like in your signature, but have an image you would like to use, please PM a moderator to ask if the image is ok before using it (maybe you have some nice vaca pics or pics of something in your local area, etc).

Also, we will not consider pictures of your merchandise to be pet related (even if the merchandise is). This means no line of pictures showing the products you are selling. You can have an image (or images) in your commercial logo, but please, do not use the image space in your signature as a place to advertise your products. You have a web page you can do that on or you can post that in the Merchandise forum.

No political or religious messages - subject to staff interpretation

Maximum "personal" image size:

sig_500x150.gif

To check the size, both physical and file size, do the following.

Put your MOUSE OVER the image and RIGHT CLICK. Next choose PROPERTIES

sig_properties_1.gif

Next look at the following, WIDTH, HEIGHT, and SIZE OF FILE, they all need to meet the each of the above guidelines.

FireFox users will see this screen

sig_properties.gif

Internet Explorer users will see this

sig_properties_2.gif

*** Not adhering to these guidelines may lead to removal of your signature without warning. ***

large.greyhound_signature.gif

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest bonscoby

Does this size picture apply to avatars as well? I am trying to figure out the size picture to send you for an avatar. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I tried to find the answer to avatar size everywhere else before bothering you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest macmadday

So is my picture too big. I worked for a couple of hours last night and really couldn't get it any smaller. Just want to play by the rules!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yours is way to big.

As you can see from the guidelines...

Images - total combined size cannot exceed 15k in file size and 500x150 image size, and should be pet related. Only one row of images. No animation other than local emoticons. 

15k file size TOTAL

150x500 image size TOTAL

Guest MomOf4Brindles
Yours is way to big.

As you can see from the guidelines...

15k file size TOTAL

150x500 image size TOTAL

1852108[/snapback]

Thanks, Trudy, I think I will just leave out pictures all together. I just can't get the hang of these. I use Photobucket and tried re-sizing, but it didn't seem to work.

Carole

• 1 month later...
that is fine, but webshots disables remote hosting more often then not. You should find another host. Try mypetpages.net or photobucket.com

Jeff,

I'm trying to figure out how to add a picture of my greyhound next to my signature. I am having trouble doing so. Could you please guide me? I thought I was supposed to just add images but maybe I'm not doing it correctly. I guess I need easy directions??? Thanks

go to where you have the correctly sized image hosted. Right click and choose properties. Copy the link. Then edit your signature. It should look like this (with your link)

[img=http://forum.greytalk.com/greyhound_signature.gif]

large.greyhound_signature.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest shanab

that is fine, but webshots disables remote hosting more often then not. You should find another host. Try mypetpages.net or photobucket.com

Jeff,

I'm trying to figure out how to add a picture of my greyhound next to my signature. I am having trouble doing so. Could you please guide me? I thought I was supposed to just add images but maybe I'm not doing it correctly. I guess I need easy directions??? Thanks, Shana

Hi Jeff Again,

Okay, now I'm trying to add this signature next to the other one which you did a greyt job with. I got a new girl named Daphney and I want to put her with her sister as well. Could you please guide me again. Thanks, and maybe I'll figure this out eventually. Shana

http://www.greytalk.com/~photopost/data/500/New_Grey_037.jpg]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest bonscoby

I must be the dumbest person on two feet. I resized my pictures, switched to gif and even went to index color to get to the required 15k. I must be doing something wrong. My pictures are still blurry or so small that you can't see them. Resizing isn't the problem. I can do that. Saving them as GIF isn't the problem. What the heck is my problem???????

Guest bonscoby
You are a supporter... submit a ticket for the sig pictures :)

We don't make fancy smacy stuff, but we make them the right size and so you can see them :lol

(well, Jeff does)

Thanks!

Guest bonscoby
if the sig is a picture (actual photograph) then saving as a JPG will give you a smaller size image. GIF images are good for solid colors, something you create in PAINT or the like.

I've tried that too. Is there something else that I am not doing?