Marking a lot?

I joke marking is social media for dogs. I adopted my first greyhound, Lily, when she was 6; her owner had become ill. I thought she marked a lot for a female compared to the Irish Setter we had when I was a boy. I live in Mission Beach and it's easy to tell who marks where on the sand. I thought perhaps they gave her testosterone at the track. Then I forgot about it.

Lily passed away at a bit over 15 and I adopted Tulip at the beginning of the pandemic fresh off the track at 2.5 years and 125 races.

Lately I was noticing she very consistently marks 7 or 8 carefully selected places on our 1 mile morning walk. Back when she was first adopted I made a 14 minute video of walking Tulip on my rural rental property. I put it on YouTube and thought people shut in by pandemic rules and some dogs could enjoy it. I just went back and watched it anew. She drifts out of the screen a couple of times and might have marked then, but otherwise ZERO.

It's only one data point, but I'd say my greyhounds marked a lot is due to lots of marks to potentially answer. (Where I grew up things were much more spread out with only a few dogs.) So it's more like social media than I thought--the more there is to answer, the more answers.

Tom

The video: https://youtu.be/mFI-TmHkjK4 
If you watch it be warned nothing happens. It's just a 14 minute greyhound walk.

• Like 2

My girl Fuzzy can out-mark my two boys--G is very polite, one maybe two pees per walk; R thinks he's king of the neighborhood, but boy howdy can Fuzzy put him to shame. If we go on a new-to-them trail, or a dog park, she is getting out every drop of pee and poop she can.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I remember visiting a racing kennel and watching the turnout process:  There were 2 big sandy turnout pens.  The boys went into one pen and the girls into the other.  Lots of time was spent relieving themselves, sunning, sniffing, etc.  Then the pens' occupants were reversed, with the girls heading into what had been the boys' pen and vice versa.  Then there was lots of time spent on "I'll pee on your pee" and everyone was good and empty when they were ready to head back to their crates.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

15 hours ago, palmettobug said:

My girl Fuzzy can out-mark my two boys--G is very polite, one maybe two pees per walk; R thinks he's king of the neighborhood, but boy howdy can Fuzzy put him to shame. If we go on a new-to-them trail, or a dog park, she is getting out every drop of pee and poop she can.

:nod 

Punkin is the Queen of Overpee-ers. Every.single.turnout she follows AnnIE and waits her turn before overwriting AnnIE's message. Think making a trip to the Ladies Room with your BFF :lol She's also our hike leader who, unlike her roommate who can't get enough pats, lives for sniffs and pees.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My first grey, Eve, peed a lot on our 1+ mile walks in a neighborhood when she was an only dog.  When a male hound joined us, her peeing decreased; I theorized she was letting him take care of peeing on male marking.  I kept count for a week -- he consistently peed 12-13 times and she did produced 6 pees per walk.  

One time when she was still an only dog, a strange-to-us dog and human approached us on the same side of the street as us and the dog was very aggressive acting.  Eve, the epitome of excellent dog etiquette, was obviously surprised and offended.:  "I have never seen such rude behavior in my life!"   She never, ever pulled on her leash, but when that human finally dragged her barking, frothing dog down the street, Eve pulled me up the hill, nose to the ground, in the direction the dog had come from, and peed a river at one spot.  Then turned back in the direction we were originally headed, ready to resume regular walk operations.  

Tulip is lovely.  

• Haha 1

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

My Wiki is the marking-est dog I've ever known. I counted once, 13 pees in a 30 minute walk. I think the only time she ever really empties out is before bed, otherwise I think she's always holding something back to leave somewhere else. She will not pee in the yard in the morning, I truly believe she's saving it for walkies. I have to watch her like a hawk if I take her somewhere. She'll pee at home, in the parking lot of wherever we're going, and she'll still pee in the store if there's any hint that some dog had gone there before.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Our foster girl Dixie pees for Britain and marks as much as Buddy did. She finishes by churning the turf, resulting in butch shoulders and the occasional moonwalk. One of the funniest things about her is that she cocks and squats, often doing both at once :D

• Thanks 1

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23