Very large hematoma...

Sid has developed a very large - size of an orange - on his hip.  It is not attached to any boney bits.  It is just a lump.

They aspirated 28 cc   (!!!)  of blood today but it filled back up in a few hours.

We are icing it.  The area is too difficult to put a compression bandage on. 

She is looking into Tranexamic - does it come in an oral version ?    The clinic will call pharmacies tomorrow.

Has anyone given the oral to their hounds?  What dosage?  mg/kg  or  mg/lb

Amicar is not available here in Canada.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Yikes, Sid! :kiss2 

Not every pharmacy offers compounding and I had to call around to find one that did. This isn’t entirely what you’re asking but we had Tranexamic Acid capsules compounded at a local pharmacy for Cletus. 

Best thoughts for your sweet boy! Any idea how he did that? 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

No idea!

I'm calling pharmacies right now looking for Yunnan Baio.  Doc Morag can get it - she's Chinnese herb certifed - but can't get it for a week. 

Hopefully the clinic can find a pharmacy for the tranexamic acid tomorrow. 

Do you know the dosage ?  

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

Yay... found a pharmacy that has the transexamic acid pills!!

Just need a dosage for 30 kg dog....

• Like 1

So glad you found the TA! I’m sorry but I don’t remember Cletus’s dosage. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

No advice, just best wishes for getting what you need for Sid. :grouphug 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I've gotten the TA pills from both a Walmart pharmacy and Publix. I can't remember if they had to order it or if it was in stock.  650mg x every 8 hours for a greyhound-sized dog.

Do you have a Chinese medicine or market nearby? No Rx needed for this: Yunnan Baiyao Jianang capsules.  I got these via Amazon.

434820496_3866112713713804_4148662572625104597_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=r84CIYDMiLcQ7kNvgHCgDjg&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AYAbnZrpmeMTMQxQiUsOJCxgtdnCV24g333AyKMl8LEmjQ&oe=66702915 435673652_3866112703713805_1008085519820231588_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=JJUnqlzxQegQ7kNvgF_WXyA&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AYC4pochXVeiJxGMJQzbdHPUIG0j_ohPviMfALVIEV6nhg&oe=667027A8 435702681_3866112700380472_3848533592437995706_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=t_HsZBryRRkQ7kNvgHxZp0f&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AYAlwL-F9A1gmGQCRJI8KYVP6WVOnSi3RE2XNxDTltPtpA&oe=66702AAB  435668817_3866112697047139_6030646716305752638_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=x-8_FySUdesQ7kNvgEnsaQK&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AYB0WvWMaEODfVOavpoPAw3LcBkeDAQ7LUIoU1r62OdNow&oe=66700431 435668758_3866112620380480_1137163413263169651_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=S4S3YiU3FMQQ7kNvgFAgfXX&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AYDpsqVwI_NpdSWAD1WomnIe9quxIu7mafY9VvpTsSi4HQ&oe=666FFE43

https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/yunnan-baiyao-to-use-or-not-to-use/##

TA : 650mg every 8 hours for a greyhound sized dog.

Edited by macoduck
  • Thanks 1

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Poor Sid! Looks like the post-op dose is 20mg/kg every 8 hours. https://labs.wsu.edu/court-lab/delayed-postoperative-hemorrhage-testing/delayed-postoperative-hemorrhage-depoh/

I also have Willa's leftover Amicar pills from her amp (I wish you were closer!). Post-amp she weighed about 27kg and her prescription was 500mg every 8 hours, which is fairly consistent with the above for TA.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Another article:

When given by mouth, the recommended dose of tranexamic acid for humans is 25 mg/kg three or four times a day.  In dogs, an oral dose of tranexamic acid at 15 mg/kg protects clots for at least 6 hours (Osekavage et al., 2018).  Maximum protection occurs later and lasts longer when tranexamic acid is given by mouth than when it is given intravenously, presumably because it takes some time for an oral dose to be absorbed into the body.  In their 2016 review, Yap and Aertsens recommend giving tranexamic acid by mouth at only 5 to 10 mg/kg to prevent delayed post-operative bleeding in Greyhounds. 

source: https://deerhoundhealth.org/delayed-post-operative-bleeding-an-update-on-tranexamic-acid/

Nancy, although I used the 650mg TA on my boys, if you can get a 500mg, use it.

One of my boys nearly bled out after a dental. The other one leaked out a massive puddle of blood at the vet office immediately following a microchip insertion. Didn't bother him in the least. No vessel was nicked and Dr Couto said it was only the third case he'd heard of it happening that way.  Both boys had normal clotting factors and were negative for von Wildebrants.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks so much for the all research and info. 

The vet will call the pharmacy and I’ll pick up the TA.   I’m hoping my little local pharmacy carries it but they were closed last night and don’t open until 9. 

Sids gums are a wee bit paler this morning.  Bump is a bit smaller, but it ‘could’ be draining elsewhere.

He’s his normal self, eating peeing and pooping. Doesn’t mind the ice wraps. 

:hope Sid

• Like 1

Nancy, if it is draining don't be alarmed if you see bruising on his inner thigh or abdomen. The TA will still help. 

• Like 1

tiny hada siggy.png

2 hours ago, macoduck said:

Nancy, if it is draining don't be alarmed if you see bruising on his inner thigh or abdomen. The TA will still help. 

Yes..will watch for that.  Gums are actually quite good now.  

First dose (500 ml) has been given.  With a generous snack, of course :chow

The Deerhound article is very interesting.  

• Like 2