Introducing NoAh, might be some pics now a few posts down...

NoAh, a Podenco Orito, joined my family in mid-March. He's a breath of fresh and lively young air in this house of oldsters. Casa de Postas near Seville, Spain took him in in January after his last owner dumped him and someone splashed him with acid. He is brave with humans but hates rain. Loves chasing skwirrels in the backyard but hates being leashed walked elsewhere. Also in the photos with him are Howie, the fuzzy Podengo from Portugal and Rita, the Podenco Maneta.

340774363_1837009066674257_3965139307182410178_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=1w9dZA6OIJoAX-jO3ox&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AfBms5jXYwQrSsy91Jxx5sQiUKoK6kWhJb2irhUoFhLX8Q&oe=6439AC60340645548_1886795211705389_2521669251902235692_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=d3VklLIKfvsAX9ampFS&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AfD8wif6yVvrw2PwHoHlGRIpSBY9eRHBRmprdNINBw5_5A&oe=64390887340805725_750376953472702_1564793222536631449_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=feXB4ip2GTIAX-K8GnC&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AfDMFuJIpbtncrj4x9PtUfTWnGde6RSda3OZFMiLzclWGw&oe=64388AD6

340776663_233438549168501_4373056620511657815_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=Ny5WOdrtEuEAX8PMe8p&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AfCbfK767KUrE9cSqQI2v0OsuAhyV-acS1s7sG13R375tw&oe=6438A0B1

We pronounce his name No-Ah because when calling out loudly both Howie and Rita thought we were correcting them for a misdeed. :lol  After listening to a video by the rescue group he could hear the humans pronounce his name as NoAh.  I'm not crazy about the name but it's growing on me, and ever so slowly to him. :P 

This February we lost our 15th greyhound. Although we have always preferred to take in the oldest seniors who have been thrown away by their adopters, that does over time weigh heavy on the heart.
I was told the NoAh was between 5-6, but oops, he's 3.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I get it, Ducky. What a sweet, young man you've given a soft place to land. Welcome home NoAh!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Congratulations to the whole family, especially lucky NoAh. He couldn't have found a better spot.

I too get it, Ducky. Although ... depending on energy level, young 'uns can be a whole lot of work. :lol 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

1 hour ago, Jerilyn said:

He is so cute! 

I had to look up Podenco Orito. Sounds like you've got a rare breed!

I didn't realize it either! I don't recall Casa de Postas ever having one there before. He's hard to photograph but he's dark chocolate/milk chocolate/caramel. With tiny chocolate eyes. It's knot believed that they are related to dobies  or min pins  :dunno although the color pattern is similar.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Welcome, beautiful podenco!

Putting on my speech therapist hat, I'll note that I read an article that dogs understand the first sounds in a word the best.  So rather than looking for a name that rhymes with Noah, as you were thinking of before, in which the last parts of the names are similar, it would be easier on the dog to learn to pay attention to another word that begins with an "n".  Like Nelson or Neville.  :)  But then you run into the "No" problem.  But all of your smart doggies are learning, so problem overcome.  One reason they are distinguishing "No Ah" is that the longer pause between the two syllables makes it easier for them to pick out than Norton, for example.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Congrats! According to Spanishdict, Noah in Spanish is "Noe" with an accent on the "e" (dunno how to type that here) meaning it is emphasized, so I think "No-Ah" is indeed the correct pronounciation in Spanish. If there are any actual Spanish speakers on greytalk hopefully they can chime in. And of course, being named "Noah" he would hate rain :-)

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Noah's adorable!!!

Our first 6 greyhounds (plus two fosters that actually left!!  :P ) were all medical fosters for one reason or another.  We'd never had an "undamaged" dog until we adopted Whiskey and Lilly.  And even when that's your focus and mission, compassion fatigue, and just the daily grind of caring for mental and physical injuries can wear you down.  Everyone deserves to just enjoy their companion animals.  {{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Congratulations Ducky!  A youngun...this should end up with some fun stories. :lol

I can't see the pics so they must be on Facebook. I will have Chris show them to me. I refuse to have a Facebook account so she is my workaround when I need to see something on FB. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yeah, some pic links expire after a while--but he's super cute and worth looking at!

I hope his presence is helping Howie gain more confidence. I can always send the Galoot up there!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Caramel Howie, vanilla Rita, and chocolate NoAh, a sample of assorted podencos.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

tiny hada siggy.png

• macoduck changed the title to Introducing NoAh, might be some pics now a few posts down...

Those beautiful dogs don't have enough toys.

Is there ever any brindling in any of the podencos?

PS:  Look at Howie being so brave! 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

On 5/10/2023 at 8:54 AM, EllenEveBaz said:

Those beautiful dogs don't have enough toys.

Is there ever any brindling in any of the podencos?

PS:  Look at Howie being so brave! 

Even though there's at least 6 sub-breeds of podencos I"ve never seen any brindles.

Howie continues to be Chicken Little thinking the sky will fall at any moment. :( We've upped his clomicalm dose and giving it 6 weeks. If it doesn't help vet wants to try prozac next.

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png