New sensitivity to sound

One of the problems Milo exhibited last summer was extreme sensitivity to the smoke detector going off.  It's a sound heard fairly often (once every 3-4 months) in this household because I broil a lot of foods, and he never had an extreme reaction to it before.  He began shaking and trembling, and then left the house via the dog door till all was quiet again.  

In the last couple of weeks, he has begun showing the same behavior when the kitchen timer goes off.  He has heard that timer several times a day for the 11 years he has lived here with no reaction.  Now, shaking, trembling, and exiting.  

Anybody else had a similar experience with a dog?  Change in hearing?  Change in ability to tolerate some sounds due to cognitive changes?  If it's physically painful for him, I don't want to try to desensitize him.  I've switched over to a portable timer which he is also accustomed to hearing, and so far so good. 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Ellen, all I can suggest is having your vet check his ears and make sure there is no infection or overgrowth of goobers inside.  :dunno

Editing to add:  You said you didn't want to desensitize if there was something wrong with his ears. But what about trying a snug snood with cotton balls in his ears and test the oven timer? If you don't have a snood an Ace bandage might suffice.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Snickers got like this with the "bleep" on TV. We couldn't have any of the reality shows on when she was staying here. I'm not sure if a cause was ever determined but I think her owner suspected thyroid changes. I do know that it no longer bothers her because tthe last time she was here, she paid no attention to it. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Dramatic step worse last night -- Milo doesn't want to be in kitchen, where his food bowl is, when oven is on.  I did coax him in to eat, but he stopped and exited staqe right when I walked over to the oven, where I was cooking not only my supper but also getting ready to pre-cook several dishes for workweek suppers.  

I'll have to feed the dogs first, before I even pre-heat the oven.  He did come into the kitchen for breakfast, but I had to call him a few times and usually he is in there, supervising.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

You haven't cooked any lamb or goat meat recently, have you? Those smells send mine into a frenzy.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

No lamb/goat.  He hates anything on his head.  But I have been trying some desensitization just to having the oven on, which is having some success.  At least I can keep him in the kitchen and not trembling and shaking.  I close the dog door and ply him with treats, and I think he is gradually beginning to trust that horrible sound will NOT assault him.  Gelsey also has to have treats, of course.  Will have vet check his ears at upcoming appointment.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

my daughter's late dog emma had the same reaction to sound, specifically the stove/oven. this all started w/ her first signs of dementia.it sent her into a tizzy!!!!  her vet recommended cotton in the ears when they cook and Senelife. Senelife takes around a month or so to kick in, it sorta worked. I didn't have any luck with it with felix. 

try the ear plugs(cotton balls) and see if you can get away cheap. 

Growing old ain't for the faint at heart.