LaVida - Sudden Collapse On Sunday Night

As previously mentioned in Mark's "rock thread," LaVida required a trip to the E-Vet on Sunday night. 

Chris and I had just gone to bed at about 10:30 with Mark and LaVida both on slumber balls in the bedroom. Stella was on our bed. Suddenly there was a crash and by the time we jumped up Stella was going after LaVida and Mark was standing over her. LaVida had gotten up and crashed into the dresser and probably the bedroom door. She was on her back, rolling aound with her legs flailing in the air. Stella was growling and I'm not sure if she thought that LaVida was playing or if she was going to attack LaVida as we've seen similar behavior with one of the previous fosters trying to take out an old weak dog. Not intentional - just a dog thing. LaVida's eyes were rolled back in her head and she was unconscious for a couple of minutes. Chris and I took turns monitoring her while each other got dressed. She had a pulse the entire time but was not responding to us. 

After a few minutes she started coming around. We headed for the E-vet. On the way Chris called the closest one and they were on diversion due to being slammed with too many patients. They told us we could stop there and they would stablize her if needed. At that point, LaVida was awake and actually watching the traffic and taking in the ride, so we went to the next closest E-Vet which is just a few more miles. LaVida walked into the E-Vet under her own power but was wobbly and walking crooked like she sometimes does due to a bad foot from an old injury. 

The E-Vet placed a catheter, put her on Oxygen and started fluids while they did their evaluation. At this point we suspected a Vestibular Event but never saw the trademark head tilt that you usually see with that. We were at the E-Vet from 11:30 PM until about 4AM. They were slammed because they were taking the overflow patients from the other vets that were on diversion. Between being up with Mark due to the rock in his stomach and this, Chris and I were pretty much up for 3-4 days around the clock with just a few naps at this point. I don't even remember the drive home from the vet. 

We never did get a diagnosis other than "sudden collapse," but LaVida was released at about 11AM on Monday and has been resting comfortably in her favorite slumber balls. She really started bouncing back last night and I knew that we had LaVida back when she followed Stella outside at 2AM this morning and hovered behind her while she peed. She had to pee over that spot once Stella was finished. :lol

LaVida is still moving slowly and only getting up to change beds, go outside or to go get a drink, but all of those are good signs. She has to be hurting based on the crash and the way her body was thrashing around during the event. She had good pain meds at the vet and has continued her gabapentin here at home. The E-Vet suggested discontinuuing her Carprofen due to potential side effects, so we will follow up with her regular vet at an appointment on Thursday. LaVida has never known that she is 10 years old, so I'm sure she will be back playing and flying through the air in the backyard in the near future. 

It's been a long 4 days but both Mark and LaVida now seem to both be doing well. We'll update again on Thursday after the vet appointment. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

That sounds like a terrifying ordeal, but I'm so glad LaVida seems to be on the mend. Hopefully it's just a one-off. Wishing you and Chris a restful week!

Side note: Doolin is a dedicated pee hoverer too. So rude! :lol 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I was getting anxious just reading this! Glad everyone is home and slumbering. All powerful best healing vibes for continued recoveries and catching up on sleep!

Also sidenote: Punkin is an overpeeeer. I appreciate it, especially when we're hurrying to be somewhere. If AnnIE pees, Punkin pees. Done. :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

20 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

I was getting anxious just reading this! Glad everyone is home and slumbering. All powerful best healing vibes for continued recoveries and catching up on sleep!

Also sidenote: Punkin is an overpeeeer. I appreciate it, especially when we're hurrying to be somewhere. If AnnIE pees, Punkin pees. Done. :lol

Mark is usually in the lineup too. It usually goes Stella, LaVida then Mark. Then they sniff the rest of the yard in case there have been any intruders that they don't know about. 

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Here's to hoping you and Chris get back to sleeping peacefully again. :sleepy

Little Hada was the queen of her I Pee On Your Pee universe. Even if she'd come back inside after doing her business, if another hound went out she'd demand to be let out and follow them. That was often since my crew then didn't all go out at the same time. Since she was one of 5 dogs that left me to just be her doorman :rolleyes: because she just felt compelled to be the top tinkler by forces beyond my comprehension.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Just now, macoduck said:

Little Hada was the queen of her I Pee On Your Pee universe. Even if she'd come back inside after doing her business, if another hound went out she'd demand to be let out and follow them. That was often since my crew then didn't all go out at the same time. Since she was one of 5 dogs that left me to just be her doorman :rolleyes: because she just felt compelled to be the top tinkler by forces beyond my comprehension.

Same thing happened last night. Stella went out after LaVida had already been out. LaVida followed her and put the seal of approval on it. I will open the door for her all she wants. I'm just glad she is still here with us. On the way to the E-Vet I remember telling her that it is not her time to leave us yet. 

I think we are now too tired to sleep. So far I've slept 2-3 hours at a time and am then up for hours. I need about another 15 hours of sleep just to function again. 

I too found 

2 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

I was getting anxious just reading this!

Me too. 

I hope LaVida continues her return to normal and the episode was a one-time event. I also hope you all get some rest.

Side note: My (current) over-peeer is Toodles. Unfortunately, whether peeing on her own or covering, she _never_ empties herself completely. Now that she's 13 1/2 and has early kidney disease, she needs many many trips out, including at least one in the middle of the night. At least she's still here, but sheesh.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

That sounds terrifying. Am glad she’s getting back to her old, young self so quickly. While it would be good to know the cause, it would be best if it never, ever happened again!

4 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

In or house that was called “making a bathroom.” Some of my dogs would pee on command. Tell the right one to pee & there would suddenly be a queue for the bathroom. Always a blessing. 

Oh, glad to hear she's much improved. We also have an over-peeer :)

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

12 hours ago, macoduck said:

:P

What a terrifying ordeal.  I'm so glad LaVida is making a good recovery.  I hope you and Chris get a chance to catch up on all the sleep you've missed during the whirlwind.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Hope you can get some rest squeezed in. So glad she is bouncing back. I'm so glad you were able to find an evet.  In some areas of the country dogs are actually dying because of no evets available.  When one of my working dogs ran a rod through his foot I wound up calling one (MedVet in OH) an hour and a half away.  I could not get the bleeding to stop. I had SEVERAL of the high tech coagulants like Hema-Block & Clot It.  They would seal the top of the wound and then just wash away when the blood came gushing out. So they were worthless. Anyway, MedVet said they would see me but to plan on a 12-18 hour wait in their PARKING LOT.  I told them I didn't know if the dog would last that long- since it was uncontrolled bleeding and you know what their response was? They hung up on me! Luckily I found one clinic to see him  ~ an hour and half away in the opposite direction.  Then another time that same K9- who is a Search & Rescue dog BTW- inhaled drugs during a search in Kansas City and went down and it was the same deal- no e vets available-they didn't even care he was a valuable SAR/police dog. Finally a small but kind clinic in Lees Summit MO (Green Summit Vet clinic) agreed to treat him and they were extremely professional and competent-even checking with a university vet for the proper protocol.  And by the grace of Dr. Jesus he healed from both episodes. It is just terrible how even emergency services are no longer available. The supply chain is one thing but a dogs life is something else entirely. 

Pee marker Wiki is now lobbying for us to get 2-10 more dogs so she's always got an in house supply of other pee to pee on. :lol:

In the summer we were walking in the morning. She would not pee in the backyard before we went for our walk. I'm talking 12+ hours sometimes. I am convinced she was holding on to it to spread around the neighborhood. Now we are walking in the afternoons and she has no problem peeing in the yard in the morning. She's a clever one.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Thanks everyone. LaVida continues to be on the mend and is slowly returning to old habits and routines. She has not come back to the bedroom at bedtime yet since that's where the event happened and she has slept in the living room each night. This morning she followed Chris back to the bedroom and laid in the floor waiting for Chris to finish her shower, so I guess it going to be baby steps to get her back i nthe bedroom at night. We will let her do things at her own pace. 

She also came over to my chair this mornig to scope out the chocolate muffin I had for breakfast. She is always trying to get my chocolate muffin  even though she's not allowed to have them. She is definitely bouncing back  She also did her first roach last night since the event which I posted in C&F. My girl is almost back to her old self. 

* makes note to pick up chocolate muffins to have on hand * 

LaVida :kiss2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so happy to hear that she has made a full recovery.  Our episode like that did not go as well, so this is really good to hear.  Spoil her rotten for me, please.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

LaVida Update: 

LaVida is 100% back to her old self. To prove that she showed us last night that she can still fit Stella's head in her mouth. :lol

My Mom is here visiting and LaVida has followed her into the guest room every night and slept in there with her, but has also made occasional appearances back in the master bedroom where her collapse happened. She does not appear to be afraid to come back into the bedroom now, and working the system, going to Mom for pets about 50 times a day.