Sub-Q Emphysema treatments?

My 12 yo Liz got bit by a dog on the inside of her back leg on Monday. Took her to the vet, got cleaned and got some stitches and they put in a drain, got antibiotics — she was conked out and wobbly from the sedation but otherwise seemed good. 

Fast forward to this morning and she has swelling and crinkly sub-q emphysema from the top of her back leg all the way to her ankle. Her gait is very impacted, can’t seem to get comfy, and she’s clearly in pain.

Vet changed the antibiotics, thinking this is more than just air introduced from the injury — infection producing gas bubbles. Got Liz on pain meds too. But the vet is also talking about cutting and manually trying to remove air/add other drains if Liz is still in a lot of discomfort tomorrow.

Has anyone had vets do more invasive attempts to respond to sub-q emphysema? My understanding is usually you just wait for the air to absorb. But also, seems like most dogs aren’t in serious pain from it either. Anyone had a grey with bacterial induced sub-q?

I only had one greyhound years ago with mild crackling, but that air was absorbed within days. I think it started with a skin tear from another hound's toe nail. Not sure if he was given an antibiotic as a pill, but definitely didn't get any medication subQ.

Are you confident in your vet being greyhound-savvy? 

How did he know there was an infection? Was a draw or swab done?

Would you consider a consultation with greyhound expert Dr Couto?  https://www.coutovetconsultants.com/owners-adopters  He'll review what your vet has done, including lab tests and xrays. Well worth the price.

The Facebook page Greytalk Health and Medical would be a good plaed to post too.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1565140613545174

Keep us posted on how your girl is doing.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Liz is on the mend... once we got in to see a local vet who has a lot of greyhound surgical experience! She did a fluid sample on the swelling to rule out large scale infection, gave me a bunch of home things to do for the sub-q emphysema like gentle massage and hot packing, and decided to take that conservative approach for a few days before cutting more drains for anything. Sure glad we did! Swelling and sub-q went down by about 90% over the weekend. Liz is now feeling so much better that the challenge is to keep her from zoomies! Thanks all for your encouragement :) 

image.jpeg.9eaf1bd26bee06be1bfa6019bbc48c62.jpeg

Good update on Liz!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

she’s gorgeous…glad she’s feeling better.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross