Eating disorder

keeperdean

6+ year old male Greyhound, 80lb. Always fed him Purina Pro Plan Complete Essentials Chicken and Rice kibble, 2 cups twice a day mixed with 1/2 cup of Olewo Carrots and 1/4 cups of baked skinless chicken breast. He loved it until about a month ago when he started to avoid the Purina and only pick out the carrots and chicken. Recently, he won’t eat like normal, only sporadically picks at his food during the day. Tonight I gave him a can of Hills Digestive Care I/d that I had and he garfed it down like there was no tomorrow. What am I missing here? Do greyhound eating habits change over time? He appears healthy otherwise.

Edited by keeperdean

If everything's normal digestively, he might just be tired of it. Also could be a slight formula change, but you'd have to contact Purina to find out. You could buy a 5 lb bag of something else in the Pro Plan line and see if that helps and if he tolerates it well. Doolin has been eating the same thing as your boy, though never very enthusiastically, and I just started mixing it with the Pro Plan Salmon and Rice and he seems to be enjoying it more. Worth a shot!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Yes, my Wiki stopped eating the kibble she ate greedily for about a year. Parmesan cheese then wet dog food worked for a while, but then it didn’t. She seemingly didn’t want anything to do with kibble. And I did call it her eating disorder. I was worried about her, and she did drop some weight, until I realized she did want to eat, but she had very specific ideas of what she wanted. It helped me to think of it like I don’t eat the same thing for every meal every day, so she probably doesn’t want to either. It took a while, but we are at a good place right now where meal times are not stressful for either of us. She gets a bit of freeze dried raw for early breakfast, some kibble (the one she originally refused) with some wet food for brunch, and frozen prepared raw for supper. She absolutely loves that! And a generous helping of biscuits before bed.

I know how frustrating and upsetting it can be when they won’t eat. All I can suggest is be open to trying foods outside of your comfort zone to find something he really enjoys.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I mix three different flavours from two different manufactures of kibble for my two but it's a lottery on how much of each if any at all appear in their bowls so the flavour mix varies each time.

Just going back to the Purina, was it an old sack or been stored in a damp place or next to something else that made it smell different in the shop you bought it from?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

email purina- they respond promptly! one of my dogs started loosing weight on one of the varieties i had to change to since the beef and rice is no longer available. they had a suggestion and sent over 2 coupons for 2 full bags of kibble(up to $61.99) and 2 little coupons. 

if you ordered from chewy they will credit your account, have you donate it and replace it w/ something else. i had a bag of pro plan sport that the dogs were refusing to eat. chewy sent me a bag from a different lot.  if you purchased it at a pet store, bring the remaining food in and receipt or if you are a member(ie petsmart/petco rewards # they can look it up)- they too will credit you. food can be stored incorrectly or over heated in transportation.

i'm tired of throwing $$$ out the window.

btw- no need for the baked chicken breast- kibble is complete nutrition. think of it as baby formula, you don't add anything to that do you?

Edited by cleptogrey

My last bad of Purina smelled a bit off to me, but both my dogs were eating it in the beginning even if it was less than enthusiastically.  Towards the end of that bag, one of them was needing much more encouragement than normal to eat, but would eventually clean her bowl.  No one was having any digestive issues or bad stools.  And the other dog scarfed it right up first asking.

Opened the new bag (same brand, same flavor, same shipping source, different lot) and everyone's back to scarfing with no encouragement needed!  ;)   It smells better to me, too!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We also mix the ProPlan Chicken and Rice and ProPlan Salmon. The dogs like the combo better than just one food alone.  I noticed a strong smell in the last bag of chicken that I opened, but nothing that smelled bad. It was more like the smell of the kibble was strong. I attributed it to the summer heat and food being transported in hot trailers etc. Be sure to check the best by dates on your bags when you get them. 

Mark (9 year old male) has gotten a little pickier in the past few months, but a spoonful of canned food mixed through his kibble seems to entice him to clean the bowl. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks all for your responses. I am going to continue adding the Hills I/d to his meals. He really likes it. However, the Hills is a prescription food and quite expensive. Is there an alternate that anyone can recommend that is off the shelf?

Edited by keeperdean

If you want another product for sensitive stomachs, Blue Buffalo has a non-prescription "Blissful Belly" line that has been a lifesaver for my cat with IBD, though I don't have any experience with the dog version. Pro Plan also has both Complete Essentials and Sensitive Skin and Stomach canned food. It's probably the novelty of the canned food that appeals to him most—I'm betting he won't be picky!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

If he doesn't need the rx food for a digestive issue, and you're just putting in a spoonful or two as an enticement, you can probably pick out whatever looks good to you and fits into your budget.  My dogs always seem to like the bargain brands the best for this - the cheaper the better!  :rolleyes:  We use Pedigree canned food, or Beneful Prepared Meals.

Purina also has sensitive stomach canned food to go along with the kibble, if he does need a special food.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

3 hours ago, keeperdean said:

Thanks all for your responses. I am going to continue adding the Hills I/d to his meals. He really likes it. However, the Hills is a prescription food and quite expensive. Is there an alternate that anyone can recommend that is off the shelf?

If you just want something to entice them to eat, Evanger's has an Organic Chicken canned food that is nothing but chicken and a little bit of water. We have never had a dog refuse to eat it. It is our go-to food when their tummies are off or if we need to feed a bland diet for any reason. Due to the current chicken supply chain issues, it does go in and out of stock frequently, but always comes back within a week or so. Chewy and Amazon both carry it, You can also buy direct from Evanger's, but their shipping is much slower than Chewy or Amazon. https://www.chewy.com/evangers-organics-cooked-chicken/dp/44942  I usually stir just a spoonful or two into Mark's kibble to spread it through the bowl and he gobbles down everything. Good luck. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Don and his fancy organic chicken.  :lol:  I usually get the little trays of Cesar pate. They are cheap and available everywhere.  The more disgusting I think something is, the more Wiki loves it.  Canned Puppy Chow smells absolutely horrible and is made of who knows what, but it's Wiki's favorite.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

if you are looking for a low fat solution then why not boil ground turkey up and use that broth w/ a tad of the ground turkey as a topper? just skim the fat off the top of the broth after it cools. it will keep for a week at a time in the fridge. 1 package can cost around $4- in my book that works.

Edited by cleptogrey