Chewing the scenery

Cara's been in her forever home for 4 weeks now, and honestly we couldn't have wished for an easier transition.

However, the other day something off happened. She was in her day bed, next to the coffee table. Out of nowhere, she clamped her back/middle teeth on the corner. Was told a firm "no" and she stopped, but did it twice more in pretty quick succession.

Later on, she was gnawing on the plastic buttons on the duvet cover which protects her bed.

She has plenty of food, treats and attention...bored? Pushing the boundaries? Tooth pain? Something else?

I'll be interested to hear the replies, as Doolin (home ~2 months) has done this a couple of times to wooden furniture. He stops immediately when corrected and has no interest yet in Nylabones or the like. He did take off with the Furminator the other day when I was brushing him and gnawed on the rubber handle for a couple of minutes. :lol My suspicion is just "weirdo greyhounds" but I'd love to hear what others think.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Nothing's wrong.  Just chewing.  She's still fairly young and it's a dog thing.  Best practice is to interrupt the behavior and redirect to an appropriate chewing item - a chewing product or toy - or even have them move to another spot.  

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think just exploring their world, dogs use their mouth like we use our hands. Maybe a little "weirdo greyhound" too. :P I think wood especially would have a satisfying chew.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Yeah, I've had fosters chew my bedside table corners, dresser legs, even the skirt of my sofa, just because "I can Mom".  It's a dog thing.  I always redirect and give something that is ok to chew on.  They can be stinkers. 

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Guinness took a liking to the table leg next to his bed, a firm no and he stopped...for a couple of minutes before trying again while looking at me to see if I really meant no :D. I sprayed it with bitter apple and he hasn't done it again.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

6 minutes ago, HeyRunDog said:

Guinness took a liking to the table leg next to his bed, a firm no and he stopped...for a couple of minutes before trying again while looking at me to see if I really meant no :D. I sprayed it with bitter apple and he hasn't done it again.

That was the look from Cara. If she moved slowly enough whilst maintaining eye contact and surely I wouldn't notice!?

A long time ago I heard an unusually loud crunching sound from another room.  Romie was lying on a sofa and lazily chowing down on the corner of a handy end table.  Romie, NO!  The look -- wot?   He'd been with me for years, and never chewed anything before or after.  Said table now has an interestingly rounded corner after sanding and restaining.  

Milo is an enthusiastic chewer of nylabones and tree roots, but not furniture.  (Knock on wood :) ) 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 2 weeks later...

Maeby chews all the wood in our log pile then takes it upstairs to our bed. We then spend all day taking logs of wood back to the living room, and brushing sawdust out of our bed. She's only 18 months old so I'm hoping she grows out of it as she is really resistant to the word 'no'. She has also got an obsession with the cat blankets and keeps trying to pull them out from under the cats while they're asleep on them, much to their disgust. Also wont listen to 'no' on that one. Luckily she's super cute. 

1 hour ago, okslater said:

Maeby chews all the wood in our log pile then takes it upstairs to our bed. We then spend all day taking logs of wood back to the living room, and brushing sawdust out of our bed. She's only 18 months old so I'm hoping she grows out of it as she is really resistant to the word 'no'. She has also got an obsession with the cat blankets and keeps trying to pull them out from under the cats while they're asleep on them, much to their disgust. Also wont listen to 'no' on that one. Luckily she's super cute. 

:rofl  Yeah, good thing they are cute!

12 hours ago, okslater said:

The cat trick :rofl

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.