Hello looking for a little bit of guidance 😊 we adopted our lovely boy from the Greyhound Trust however have noticed that when on walks he freezes and goes into statue mode particularly if their is car lights in his direction . Other times he may freeze without warning even if we are in a quieter area . We live in a flat and are also trying to train him on the stairs , he responds well to having meat on each step going up but now I think he has got used to this and won't move at all if no treat is given . Going downstairs we will freeze and refuse to move . With both the stairs and freezing on walks we give him lots of praise and encouragement , using high value treats , giving reassurance and allowing him time to process his surroundings . It's like his feet are glued to the floor . I have also tried to change the direction on walks or gently break into a trot but his feet remain firm to the ground . Is their anything I can do to support my beautiful boy . Due to living in a flat unfortunately we don't have the luxury of a garden so have to ideally take him out for number 1 and 2s .any help or support would be really appreciated, he's such a gentle loving soul but unsure on how we can further support him . I completely understand things will take time and greyhounds are used to more rural areas .

He is just overwhelmed with his new life and is taking it all in.  The more you can just hang out with him outside and not really go anywhere the more he will get used to the sights and sounds.  If you do not have access to the outside (deck, balcony, garden or yard) even having the windows open for a while will help.  It just takes time for them to get used to things.  So for now just out for bathroom and no real walks is ok.  If you look up freezing on walks there will be a bunch of different methods you can try. 

Never taught stairs so others will have to help with that.

Congratulation on your new hound

For freezing, it might be a bit controversial but it worked for my Grace after all the other methods had failed and could be handy if he freezes in a dangerous place. I only had to do it twice and she hasn’t statued since. You stand by the side of your greyhound facing the same way and put a couple of fingers through the collar. You take a step forward and move your hand holding the collar forward with a slight upward motion at the same time, as if ten pin bowling, lifting the dog slightly. Keep waking taking your dog with you and giving the command “Let’s go.” Apparently it’s similar to how they are put into the traps.

Mine also was nervous of traffic and to get her used to it I'd walk her nearly to the end of my road stopping just as she became uncomfortable with the noise from the main road and just stand there for a few minutes and not interacting with her before turning round and going home. Every couple of days we’d take a step nearer to the main road until she eventually took no notice of it.

I see you also adopted your hound from the Greyhound Trust. Most of the branches do monthly greyhound walks and it's worth going on them. You can talk greyhound to other owners without their eyes glazing over and it will boost the confidence of yours.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

8 hours ago, 1Moregrey said:

He is just overwhelmed with his new life and is taking it all in.  The more you can just hang out with him outside and not really go anywhere the more he will get used to the sights and sounds.  If you do not have access to the outside (deck, balcony, garden or yard) even having the windows open for a while will help.  It just takes time for them to get used to things.  So for now just out for bathroom and no real walks is ok.  If you look up freezing on walks there will be a bunch of different methods you can try. 

Never taught stairs so others will have to help with that.

Congratulation on your new hound

Thank You so much for your guidance ita really appreciated definetly lots of love affection and reassurance . We open our windows so he can hear the traffic it doesn't bother him so much unless their is a motorbike going by . Like you say just trying to get out to go to the toilet and come back home X we will get there 😊

4 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

For freezing, it might be a bit controversial but it worked for my Grace after all the other methods had failed and could be handy if he freezes in a dangerous place. I only had to do it twice and she hasn’t statued since. You stand by the side of your greyhound facing the same way and put a couple of fingers through the collar. You take a step forward and move your hand holding the collar forward with a slight upward motion at the same time, as if ten pin bowling, lifting the dog slightly. Keep waking taking your dog with you and giving the command “Let’s go.” Apparently it’s similar to how they are put into the traps.

Mine also was nervous of traffic and to get her used to it I'd walk her nearly to the end of my road stopping just as she became uncomfortable with the noise from the main road and just stand there for a few minutes and not interacting with her before turning round and going home. Every couple of days we’d take a step nearer to the main road until she eventually took no notice of it.

I see you also adopted your hound from the Greyhound Trust. Most of the branches do monthly greyhound walks and it's worth going on them. You can talk greyhound to other owners without their eyes glazing over and it will boost the confidence of yours.

Thank You so much for your guidance , we would definitely be interested in meeting up with other hounds eventually and going do walks , will have to look and see when the next one is 😊 X everyone will do something different luckily he hasn't froze in the road yet but trying to pick up 33kg is no an option . That's interesting to know , like you say it will be good to speak to other owners who understand . Some people are so ignorant and just don't understand. Thank you for your advice xx