Getting Old Ain't for Sissies

The impossible has happened -- Milo is showing signs of age.  His face is very white and he's a little stiff.  As I told the vet, it ain't bad for the main complaint of a 12*-yr-old large dog is that it takes him two bounds to leap over the couch, instead of just one.  The other evening Milo used me as a launch pad on the second step of his 2-bound couch leap.  Yowza!  Thank goodness I was wearing pants and hadn't just trimmed Milo's nails.  

Another change showed up yesterday, when one of the smoke detectors started chirping.  For the first time ever, the sound really bothered Milo.  He tried curling up next to me and burying his head behind my back, but everytime the thing chirped I could feel him shake, and he gave up and went outside until I could fix it.  Poor guy.  

* best guess.  He's a lurcher who was rescued as a stray.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

No it ain't. 

Milo :kiss2 Don't be afeered of the chirpchirp, your momma has your back. 

Ellen :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We've been missing a good Milo story lately. 

Hang in there, Milo. :beatheart

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

No, getting old ain't for sissies at all, but Milo's no sissie!  Am I right! 

12 and still jumping on couches and trampolines Moms is pretty great! :wub:

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

7 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

The impossible has happened -- Milo is showing signs of age.  His face is very white and he's a little stiff.  As I told the vet, it ain't bad for the main complaint of a 12*-yr-old large dog is that it takes him two bounds to leap over the couch, instead of just one.  The other evening Milo used me as a launch pad on the second step of his 2-bound couch leap.  Yowza!  Thank goodness I was wearing pants and hadn't just trimmed Milo's nails.  

Another change showed up yesterday, when one of the smoke detectors started chirping.  For the first time ever, the sound really bothered Milo.  He tried curling up next to me and burying his head behind my back, but everytime the thing chirped I could feel him shake, and he gave up and went outside until I could fix it.  Poor guy.  

* best guess.  He's a lurcher who was rescued as a stray.  

That is interesting about his increased sensitivity to the alarm chirping. My Logan is just past twelve now as well, and he was definitely more sensitive to the sounds of fireworks than in previous years. (Like, first crack and he's dragging me back home :-)

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

A few of our grey's became more noise sensitive as they got older.  We used to say that Fuzzy was bomb proof.  As he approached double digits, thunder and fire works really took it's toll on him.  He would go downstairs to the basement and curl up against the bottom-most step.

Old age ain't for sissies applies to humans too!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

It’s a poisoned chalice, I think. It makes me sad to watch Buddy struggle to get off his bed, or to negotiate steps, but I’d rather be seeing that than have had to say goodbye to him before now. Buddy is coming up on 12 too, and I can tell that he thinks that the world has plenty of scritches and cuddles to offer him still

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Yes, I feel lucky with Milo's health.  The vet says that even with mild arthritis, his range of motion and muscle mass are good for any age dog, let alone 12+.  

His last confirmed critter kill was in February.  That's the one thing I have no complaints with slowing down.  He had a canine tooth extracted last month, and I'm a little worried that will lessen the efficiency of his neck-breaking shake, and that he'll be bringing me more half-dead instead of all-dead creatures.  :yikes 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since the smoke detector incident, he has been spending a lot of time outside.  A lot.  Like most of the night.  (dog door)  And most of the time he's not on the dogbed on the back porch, but out lying on the grass.  He'll start out with me -- cuz it's very important to keep Gelsey from the premium big bed -- but then I'll have to check outside that he's still ok in the morning.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

One of my dogs liked to spend the better part of the night outside in the summer. She would come to bed in the bedroom along with everyone else, but at some point she would go outside (also dog door) and usually not come back in until sunrise :dunno