Puzzle games for the play challenged ideas please

Indoor self play ideas for the play challenged greyhound.  Journey is just learning to play so far it is more carry it back to my bed/hiding spot.  Anyone have ideas for a play challenged gh on house confinement due to a hurt paw and it is to hot for walks and to early in healing for play in the yard.  With a caretaker recovering from medical issues.  

She has chew toys, stuffies, that get taken back to her bed/hiding spot.  She loves her busy bones gets them a few times a week.  She has treat balls but has not really been impressed with them.  (she is a little timid of things that fall or move and make noise) we are working on it.  

She has treats hidden around the house she knows where they are just not interested to get them.  (Cat might of spooked her when she was getting one)

Her new game is steel and chew the mail.  If it is junk mail I have no problem with it.  She likes my mail that I need so not a big fan of the game.

So I took a cardboard box put peanut butter on the corners and busy bone and treats in it.  She licked the peanut butter off the corners and left the box.  Am I starting with to hard of puzzle games or is she just not interested?

Kong Wobbler. They have to push it around it to dispense the treats, so you may need to wait until the paw is healed.  I always said that Rocket had an Engineering Degree as the first time he used the Wobbler, he picked it up, carried it to slumber ball, and used the bumps and lumps in the bed to push it around and empty the Wobbler. He did it that way every time. :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Have you tried a snuffle mat?  Are you both strong enough and is she brave enough for tug-of-war with a tough toy?  Would she chase a remote control toy?  She likes busy bones -- Milo used to chew a big nylabone for long periods.  Would she like big frozen broth cubes (on a suitable mat, of course)?   Save up your junk mail and let her go to town.  :)  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

13 minutes ago, EllenEveBaz said:

She likes busy bones -- Milo used to chew a big nylabone for long periods.  Would she like big frozen broth cubes (on a suitable mat, of course)?   Save up your junk mail and let her go to town.

She will not touch the nylabone she has several around the house.  She is the daintiest of chewers always makes tiny bits of her food or chews or paper shreds.  Wonder if she just likes to shred things.  So far all her stuffed toys are intact and look me except for drool spots.  I should try frozen broth she liked the ice cubes for a minute then left it on her bed.  Not sure what the snuffle mat is.  Lol have not been in a real store for years.  

So I helped with the cardboard box I opened 3 of the 4 sides and she picked the busy bone out and left the other treats.  Maybe I am asking to much from her.

time4Anap she has a treat ball kind of like that again maybe I am asking to much from her to fast. The cat has a wobble toy I will see if she will play with that.  Journey does not really even play with her Kong.  She will chase and grab a stuffie does not help the foot.

Anyone have experience with a lick mat that might be more her speed.   
I will have to make her a mailbox she can steel junk mail from.

Hopefully it will be cooler this week.  Will see how she does at the pet store tomorrow might have to be an all morning adventure.

She just might not be a player and that is ok.  Will just have to find indoor places to go.

33 minutes ago, 1Moregrey said:

She will not touch the nylabone she has several around the house.  She is the daintiest of chewers always makes tiny bits of her food or chews or paper shreds.  Wonder if she just likes to shred things.  So far all her stuffed toys are intact and look me except for drool spots.  I should try frozen broth she liked the ice cubes for a minute then left it on her bed.  Not sure what the snuffle mat is.  Lol have not been in a real store for years.  

So I helped with the cardboard box I opened 3 of the 4 sides and she picked the busy bone out and left the other treats.  Maybe I am asking to much from her.

time4Anap she has a treat ball kind of like that again maybe I am asking to much from her to fast. The cat has a wobble toy I will see if she will play with that.  Journey does not really even play with her Kong.  She will chase and grab a stuffie does not help the foot.

Anyone have experience with a lick mat that might be more her speed.   
I will have to make her a mailbox she can steel junk mail from.

Hopefully it will be cooler this week.  Will see how she does at the pet store tomorrow might have to be an all morning adventure.

She just might not be a player and that is ok.  Will just have to find indoor places to go.

We do have the lick mats and the snuffle mats. Both dogs like and use them. The lick mats are a big hit with some peanut butter on them. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

My campers very much enjoy a likky mat. Some of what I've used for loading it include peanut butter over some smashed banana, combo of canned punkin (plain, not the pie filling) & no-sugar applesauce over smashed banana, canned noms, our homemade Frosty Paws recipe (banana, honey, peanut butter, vanilla yogurt). What helps a likky mat to last longer is to freeze it.

Stuffin' bones are also entertaining. We get clean butcher bones from the market, and stuff and freeze them with instant mashed potatoes. Shove a couple of mini milk bones or other treats in with it also.

Snuffle mats for sure!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Another vote for a snuffle mat. We have three, two of which I made myself. They are basically mats made from strips of felt that you hide treats in. I made mine from an old sink protector mat which I threaded through old material from coats I had attempted to make from (this is making me sound like I’m creative and capable. I’m not - the snuffle mat was the easiest thing in the world to make!). The incredibly long link below is to a snuffle mat on Etsy 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/767088210/multi-colour-feast-fleece-enrichment-mat?gbraid=0AAAAADutTMdGjGGhqp8sP9DU1rgxqf6lI&gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_e-pet_supplies-other&utm_custom1=_k_EAIaIQobChMIkNmJ_6ST-QIVGLLtCh3bcAmREAQYAyABEgLHzvD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_12583166040_119876687739_507889599256_pla-314535281660_t__767088210engb_184390380&utm_custom2=12583166040&gbraid=0AAAAADutTMdGjGGhqp8sP9DU1rgxqf6lI&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkNmJ_6ST-QIVGLLtCh3bcAmREAQYAyABEgLHzvD_BwE

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Thanks for the ideas.  I will try my hand at a snuffle mat.  We went to the pet store today no snuffle mats or lick mats at the location I was at they had the Kong Wobbler.  I set it down for her to look at and barely touched it, it moved ever so slightly and she could not get away fast enough.  So I think I might be a long way away from her playing with toys.  We will try with what we have maybe a little peanut butter on the outside of the treat ball.  Will work on some confidence builders with her too.

I did set some junk mail out for her and she would rather steal it than have it given to her.  
Here is to hoping we can get out some this week before the heat comes back. 
Thanks for your suggestions we will keep trying different toys and love her where she is at.  She is so sweet just a very young 4 year old.  I will look at it as she is just helping me keep things picked up.  Good thing for me she knows drop it and leave it and so far has been reliable.  She gets traded for whatever she gives up she does not always think it was a fair trade.  Good thing brisket makes everything better.

Edited by 1Moregrey

If she's a fan of paper/shredding in general, have you tried giving her kibble/treats wrapped up in something for her to destroy? A brown paper bag is the easiest option, but I've also hidden kibble in crumpled-up tissue paper or scrap paper, empty cardboard egg cartons, etc. Pauli LOVES shredding (and is very good about eating only the treats, not the paper), so this is one of our favorite (and free!) "enrichment" games. 

Grace's favourite game used to be stop the stuffy squeaking. Guinness has now taken that roll and improved it by adding "chew the arm, leg or ear off" into the game :rofl 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 2 months later...