Rock Chewing!🤦🏻‍♀️

Hello everyone!  I’m new to this forum, fairly new to greys, but not to dogs.

My husband has adopted and fostered several greys before we met, and we now have adopted two together.  Forza is a 3 year-old retired racer, and has seamlessly settled into life with us.  Freyja just turned 1 and she was in a “surprise” litter of puppies at the greyhound rescue.  Forza was not her mom, but since they got along well, we decided to adopt two.

The dogs I’ve had in the past have all been of the herding variety - Border Collies and Queensland Heelers.   I’ve had both of those breeds since they were puppies, and found that it was easy to break them of the rock chewing/carrying habit.

Freyja has been great to train in every other area, except the rock chewing.  She has MANY different chew toys, gets lots of exercise, and I’m not sure what to do.  She actually has a chip in one of her upper canines from this rock habit.  

Unfortunately removing all the landscaping rocks in our backyard is not an option.  We have a doggie door that is open 24/7.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!

I don't know how practicable it is for you but can you lock the doggie door so she doesn't go outside without you? When she does go outside keep her on a lead and as soon as she goes near a rock tell her NO and give a quick flick on the lead. Hopefully she's a quick learner and it won't take long to break the rock habit.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Might have to muzzle.  If she is swallowing rocks/rock pieces it could result in an impaction requiring surgery. And if she damages her teeth too much; well dental care is expensive. Its no trouble to pop a muzzle on and they really don't care about being muzzled.

You'll also need a "stool cup" to put inside the muzzle. The GEM store sells both. https://gemstore-185419.square.site/

Is Freyha's head as big as Florza's? If not and she's still growing you may need a whippet sized muzzle. I can find a link if needed.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

A muzzle was my thought as well but you have a 24/7 dog door. I'm not sure how to approach that situation. Others will chime in. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

LaVida has become a rock collector. Like your yard, ours is all rock here inthe desert. She sneaks a rock in when we aren't looking, only to find it later in a dog bed. She doesn't appear to be chewing them, they are more like highly valued prizes. She also collects big pieces of hardwood mulch from a raised planter outside. 

We've been watching for both, and when we see it we give the Drop It command. She still manages to sneak one by us occasionally. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

It could be part of a puppy phase she's going through.  Some continue their fascination with rocks into adulthood, though.

If she is actually chewing on them enough to damage teeth you're going to need to take drastic action sooner rather than later.  Get her a muzzle, with a stool guard, and have her wear it whenever you're not home and she has access to the rock area unsupervised.  When you're home, close the dog door and be outside with her for all turnouts so you can catch her in the act and consistently redirect her away from her rock habit.  Teaching her a "leave it/drop it" command is going to help too.

You're going to need to get her accustomed to muzzle wearing first, since she didn't receive this training growing up.  Smear the inside front with a bit of peanut butter before you put it on her, then remove it when she's done.  Do this a few times a day, for a couple days, then start varying if there's peanut butter or not and extending the PB-less time.  She should tolerate a muzzle fairly easily and quickly.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly