Picky Eater

I have a 6 year old male Greyhound that weighs 78lbs. He is in excellent health, no prey drive and until recently a voracious eater. However, for the past month or so, he has started to pick at his breakfast and not finish it until sometime around noon. Our normal routine is up around 8:00am, go for a 1+ mile walk, come home and have breakfast. His energy level seems fine. By the way, he still gobbles his dinner at around 4:30. Should I be concerned?

Some dogs loose interest in breakfast as they get older, especially in the summer. If he eventually finishes and is still eating his dinner with gusto, it may just be a change in his habits. I would keep an eye on him and if anything else changes, I would think it was time for a vet visit, but for now, just watch :)

If you live somewhere with all the heat and humidity.  The picking at breakfast may be related to the weather.  Journey will wait to eat most of her dinner until just before bed when it is a little nicer outside.  Even though she spends most of her day in the air conditioning. 

Has he had a stool sample checked recently?  If he is positive that can effect there eating too.  

I would just watch for a few days and if still concerned check with the vet or drop off a sample.

As others have said, if he's still eating it all and otherwise good, it is most likely the heat or just a change in habits.  We've been through this with several of our hounds although they usually do this when older. Our boy Mark has started eating on a very leisurely schedule - basically when he feels like getting aorund to it. No reason other than he can. Good luck. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life