Why did my greyhound snap at me?

We have been fostering a greyhound for a few weeks now and have been considering adopting him. He is such a sweet and friendly boy! However yesterday I made a smoothie and headed to the couch. My greyhound followed me wagging his tail as per usual. He’s a very affectionate and happy boy. I sat on the couch, he jumped up and had a sniff of my smoothie. I moved it away so he wouldn’t try and drink some. He then rested his head on my lap and his paw. He always does this when I sit on the lounge and always wants to sit with me rather than on the other lounge or on his bed. Maybe 30 seconds later he let out a deep growl. He was staring at me while growling with his head rested on me and I wasn’t doing anything to annoy him such as touching him. Still staring at me he let out a deeper growl and another one. I figured he was growling at me as he was looking at me. It really frightened me as it was such a deep growl. Because I was scared I got up quite quickly and that’s when he snapped and barked. I didn’t see if the barking was directed at me because as I said I walked away quickly. It’s the most confusing thing I’ve ever seen a dog growl over before. Why would he rest his head and be affectionate and then suddenly start growling? Was it because he wanted my smoothie and wanted me to hand it over? 

It's difficult for us to diagnose things like this over the internet - we weren't there, we didn't see the entire incident.  Sometimes people in your situation are too close to observe the whole picture, or leave out a detail that may be key.  

But going from what you describe, I would *guess* that he is beginning to feel comfortable in your house, and he's beginning to express his wants and desires now that he feels more bonded to you.  Remember, a growl - which to us sounds quite scary - is just one of the limited ways a dog has to verbally communicate with us.  He was trying to express something, and we humans just don't speak dog as well as dogs speak human. 

Again, just guessing, but I would say your speculation may be correct.  He wanted what you had - or at least a treat, or some sort of reward.  Have you ever given him anything from your plate/bowl/glass in that situation before??  Even once??  It could have lead him to believe he was entitled to some every time.  Or he *really really* liked whatever it was you had.  It could also be that he wanted it so badly that he felt he had a right to "resource guard" your smoothie from you.

Getting up and walking away was fine as a response - removing yourself and your smoothie from his space - which was probably why he snapped as a last sort of comment, and attempt to gain what he wanted.  In the future, particularly if you decide you do NOT want to keep him in your home, DO NOT give him the privilege of sitting on the furniture with you (or anyone).  This will help break his resource guarding habit and make it safer for whoever does adopt him.

In calm moments, teach him a command to move him off the furniture - off, go to your bed, leave it - whatever words work for you - so you don't need to physically touch him to remove him from where he shouldn't be.  Use yummy treats to lure him to his own bed and reward his compliance.  And don't ever give him any food from your plate while your (or anyone) are eating.  If you want to give him a treat or a bite of steak, or whatever, save it til you're done and give it to him in his own food bowl, so he stops looking for food during meals. 

My husband lets one of ours clean out his yogurt bowls all the time, and now she is practically in his lap the entire time he's eating.  :rolleyes:  This issue is exacerbated because we eat in our living room on our laps or tv trays, so the food is right there!

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think greysmom is right. He wanted what you had got and wanted to let you know, so a bit like an English speaking person in a foreign country who can't speak their language, he kept raising his voice trying to make himself understood and when you stood up he swore.

I'm quite strict and only give my two dog treats, no food that I eat unless I put it in their food bowl for their next meal time, no plate cleaning and definitely no titbits when I'm eating. The result is they don't beg at meal times or when I'm having a snack and I can sit with a tray on my lap in front of the TV eating my meals without being pestered by the pair of them. I also don't give them treats when I'm preparing a meal so I don't get pestered in the kitchen and, fingers crossed, don't suffer with counter surfing. 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Pretty much what Greysmom said.  Seems like a little bit of resource guarding to me.  

I would certainly not allow contact when you have a food item in your possession, until clearer boundaries are established.    Also establish yourself as the giver of treats and make him earn every treat for a while.  (NILF)