Protein in Urine

This is from the Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound book:

May be an image of text

No photo description available.

May be an image of text

No photo description available.

May be an image of text that says '138 Chapter Seven EXAMPLE FOUR EXAMPLEF Glucose- Negative Ketones Negative Bilirubin from small to large (++++) Blood Negative Nitrite Negative Protein -usually negative, but may show trace Urobilinogen -Negative pH -6.0-6.5 Specific Gravity- -1.040-1.055 1.055 Color yellow to orange Frothing plentiful with yellow color Turbidity- clear OVNE RESULT- Bilirubinuria bilein INTERPRETATION For causes of this abnormality, For TREATMENT of 14, pages 236 to 237. this abnone'

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks so much Macoduck for taking time to put information together. Every vet treating greyhounds should have a copy of this book -- I am already "teaching" them about some of the differences of greyhounds!

This is helpful and will help me ask the right questions.

She had a urinalysis/SDMA done. Am I right in thinking the calculation from this could be done by:

measuring the amount of protein and creatinine in a urine sample, and mathematically dividing the protein value by the creatinine value

Protein being 4+ divided by creatinine 103? Specific gravity 1.045 pH 6.5.

Or does this have to be another test for the upc?

The vet in not very forthcoming!

She really needs a dental done sooner than later which should have been done two years ago with a different vet.

It is so difficult right now. I cannot get into the two vets I would feel confident about. It is such a shame.

8 minutes ago, Bogangles said:

Thank you so much for your response, cleptogrey. We are located in Ontario Canada.

I think I sent one of my other greys records to OSU. And they did respond.

Will try to see if I can reach them again. Thanks again.....

One vet said it was normal for greyhounds because of their muscle mass? Does that make sense?

No and not +4. I highly recommend to run a upc. (Technically it should be run 3 times)  If that returns 1 or above low dose aspirin and enalapril should be started.  Enalapril to reduce the blood pressure to the kidneys and the aspirin to lower the risk of a stroke (when you lose protein through the kidneys you will lose antithrombin 3 also by default  which is an anticlotting factor).