Gencon figure of eight collar

Hi,

I tried out a Gencon figure of 8 head collar on my 5 year old leash reactive boy today. It seemed to work wonders. It does tighten obviously by design and a couple of times he let out a tiny yelp when too tight so I'm using cautiously until I decide if it's right for him. 

Just wondered how others have fared with this system? It's more restrictive for him as he's closer to me and can't roam as he once did ( I had a rope lead and harness before), but he can be extremely reactive to small dogs so I hope to use this, especially when in busy areas, then perhaps use harness in open fields and countryside. 

Wonder if anyone has experience of the Gencon v Halti?

TIA

I have used/loved the Gentle Leader collar since I first used it on a hearding dog that went off on anything that she saw.  If it was in her field of vision she thought it was fair game.  I got her in the early 90’s.  It is a safe easy way to teach proper public behavior and all you have to do is be a tree/post while they correct themselves (ok there is more to it than that but it is a great learning tool).

Was not a fan of the Halti and have not heard of the Gencon.  The magic of the GL was the way it fit and where it fits on the dog.  So whatever you use please make sure it is fit properly and being used in the gentlest fashion.  Good luck with your boy,  I know I worked on my reactive dog for two years she became less reactive and we even had playgroup of 5 dogs weekly.  She was a street dog from a shelter adopted out as an only animal.  She eventually lived with a greyhound too.  She needed to be first and as long as there was a strict schedule she felt safe and fine vary it and life was a little bumpy for a while.  I learned so much from her.  She was a great teacher and companion worth all the time and energy that went into her.

I'm not sure about them. I'm concerned that the pressure around his neck when he starts to react is across a narrow area. Perhaps used together with a harness so you use the Gencon to communicate with your dog and the harness to stop him running off.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I have never used a collar of that sort on any of our dogs.  I just work with the dog and we work through it.  "Head collar" tells me you are from England or Europe.  :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Kibo our Galgo is super reactive when on leash. 
A harness works well for him …. with a Halti as a little reminder to behave.  Saves pulling and yanking on his neck.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I've used a different head halter, but I would be leery of using it as a single attachment point to a strong, leash reactive greyhound.  Head halters are occasional correction tools, not regular walking aids.  They can easily slip out of collars if motivated by anxiety or prey drive, and head halters are not very secure, so I would probably use it in conjunction with a harness at all times.  

If you want some further help, get the book "Feisty Fido: Help for the Leash Reactive Dog" by Patricia McConnell.  She's an excellent trainer/behaviorist with good, step-by-step advice for working through behavioral issues.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly