Top paw pad being skinned

We have started taking our greyhound to an enclosed field so he can have a run around and play off-lead. Recently, everytime we have gone, we have noticed that on his front left leg, the very top paw pad, above his "wrist", has had the top layer of skin peeled off. Basically it's like he has torn the top layer of his paw pad off so we have the raw skin underneath exposed. It heals after a day (callouses over) and we put sudo cream and antiseptic spray on it. The issue is it keeps happening. We are assuming he's doing it as he's breaking...bending down his leg in a certain away which flays the paw pad. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue with their greys? We've pondered if we should bandage it beforehand, to try and prevent it in future, but we're worried a bandage might fall off/down if he's running. I've also wondered if a paw pad wax might help, again to provide another layer of protection. If anyone has any thoughts or experience I'd be greatful to hear it .

Some ideas for you hope one of them helps.  As long as the field surface is free of hazardous footing I would wrap the legs before playing in the field.  Just be sure you are wrapping correctly or have your vet teach you so you are not causing tendon damage.  If the field has concrete not favorable footing block it off somehow, ( traffic cones snow fence) if it is at one end like at a baseball field.  You could also interrupt them so they are  not running so fast or hard.   Keep an eye on the dew claws too they get torn off during the same style of play.  

This is a really common injury in dogs that do field trials and lure coursing, and can happen when our pets do zoomies in the yard and large parks.  They just run the "stopper" pad (which is what that pad for the dew claw/ "thumb" is called) right off during the turns and sharp stops.

Have your vet tech show you how to properly wrap the area to protect his stoppers and see if that helps him.  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

those are stop pads- yup they wear them off/down when they stop. felix's seemed to grow back. of course they became diminished in size every time he ripped them. i left them alone- he cleaned them and off he went running like a manic the next day.

people who coarse often wrap their dog's stop pads- but not everyone does. it's a matter of anatomy and style of running.