Finding a retired racer (East Coast U.S.)

It's time to find a brother for Mercury.  My desire:  A bombproof male under 5 years old.  My ideal: future Therapy Dog, black, black brindle, or cow.  But, beggars can't be choosers; it's all about the personality.

My challenge:  We've just move to South Florida where there are no adoptable ex-racers.  (My husband refuses the the $2400 fee for an Irish hound.)

Would you like to give me some suggestions for how to proceed?  I'm willing to fly (any Allegiant stop from Punta Gorda) to meet a hound, but, then, there's the issue of transporting him here.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

I wonder if this group would make an exception for their adoption area (because Pickles!): http://www.greyhoundrescue.org/availablehounds.htm Allegiant flies to Knoxville, and I'd help with a GUR as far as Atlanta.

I have mentioned that MSGAO adopts to all 50 states and I'd also help with a GUR from Memphis to Atlanta (my husband's parents live in GA and we're long overdue for a visit), or Huntsville or Birmingham if that's better for you. Allegiant flies into Nashville, and then you'd have to rent a car to drive the 3 hours to Memphis. It's I-40 the whole way and an easy, flat (boring) drive. As far as your wish list, we met Goose while there but not Cole. Adam (the director) told us Goose can be a bit prickly when the other dogs accidentally bump him or hover too close, so he might not be the best temperament for what you're looking for. His super-dark brindle coat is so cool though. Other boys we met: Call was a sweet, gentle boy who almost came home with us; Adam said at turnouts he just finds himself a shady spot, digs a hole, and takes a nap. Jade and Jazzy were also sweethearts. Jade's a young'un so he was into everything—he was counter surfing in the kennel kitchen :lol—but he's affectionate and gorgeous. Jazzy has thick lovely fur and seemed like a very mellow dude. He has janky toes like Sweep did. :wub:  The track will be closing in December and they're really not sure what to expect—lots of dogs or hardly any dogs—so we were advised to decide by September for safety's sake.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I've been looking at Goose (after you suggested that group) but couldn't get the personality information I needed.  And, yes, I'd even mapped out (1) fly to Knoxville (2) Drive to Chattanooga (3) Spend the night with my  niece and nephew in Huntsville (4) Fly home from Nashville.

As I want a calming influence for Mercury during thunderstorms, it sounds like Goose would not work out. :( He is beautiful though! :beatheart

Edited by Mercsmom

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

3 hours ago, zimsmom said:

There are no adoptable greyhounds in all of Florida?  Serious question. 

Most/many Florida groups disbanded when the tracks closed and there were no more hounds to pull from. Similar to the other states where the tracks have closed. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Elizabeth, we're willing to help out if you find one w/a group in SC/NC or GA. Just let me know a few days in advance!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Here's the group I was talking about the other day. 

Awesome Greyhound Adoptions

They are a Florida-based group matching veterans with service greyhounds, and doing adoptions.  They don't show any adoptables available at this time, but I know they have some from the founder's posts on FB.  Plus I think they are a group that will match you with one of their dogs rather than having you pick one off the internet.  Says to submit an app to get on their radar.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

god's greyts?  https://godsgreyts.com

located in florida, my friend in ohio always adopts thru them. she has wonderful dogs

just saw a post on FB from a friend- 2 in florida to be adopted together. she doesn't share but here is the link to the grouphttps://www.awesomegreyhoundadoptions.org

Edited by cleptogrey

I saw that bonded pair of females.  They're cute but I need one hound.

I talk to everyone I know looking for that "someone who knows someone".  One of the Florida groups is getting West Virginia (where my Merc raced [tried to race]) hounds.  Maybe that will be the answer.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

2 hours ago, Mercsmom said:

I saw that bonded pair of females.  They're cute but I need one hound.

I talk to everyone I know looking for that "someone who knows someone".  One of the Florida groups is getting West Virginia (where my Merc raced [tried to race]) hounds.  Maybe that will be the answer.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

There's also a single fawn male along with those two sisters from the same situation.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Gold Coast Greyhounds  has American and Irish dogs. They are in Tarpon Springs but dogs are in foster homes in tri-county. I have 2 from them in the past year. My foster from them is going to a home in Savannah. You must put in Application to get the ball rolling. Allegent flys into St Petersburg. ( my location) Rent a car and drive back to Punta Gorda 

GALT is in Dallas. They are still getting track hounds as well as others - owner surrenders, shelters, strays.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:58 PM, FiveRoooooers said:

GALT is in Dallas. They are still getting track hounds as well as others - owner surrenders, shelters, strays.

From GALT website

"Due to the national shortage of adoptable greyhounds, as well as available GALT greyhounds, sighthound mixes and lurchers, combined with the current large volume of GALT adoption applications, we are temporarily suspending applications outside of our operational areas of Dallas / Fort Worth and New Mexico.."

My bad :blush (But, how far is FL from D/FW? Surely they would make an exception for a brother for Merc!)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 4 weeks later...

Mercsmom,

Did you ever find a group in S Florida with adoptable greyhounds?  We are in Wellington, and also looking.  I've sent some FB messages and emails, but have not received any responses yet... I think they are out of business here... I was hoping to at least put my name down on waiting list(s) somewhere...  Please share your experiences

Thank you,

Claudia

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.