Grey Nervous About Wood Flooring

Hi all! My partner and I just bought our first house. Our current rented house is fully carpeted. In the new house, we hope to put down laminate wood flooring as the carpet collects lots of dust and isn't great for my partner's asthma.

We've brought our grey to the new house and it took her a while to begin walking on the wooden floors. We just encouraged her and let her figure it out. Now she walks on the floors but each step is very careful and she still seems a bit nervous.

Has anyone made the switch from carpet to wooden flooring and encountered the same issue? Did your grey eventually adapt? We plan to put down some rugs once we move in so hopefully that helps too. 

Yes to area rugs. Trimmed nails are important, and it also might help to make sure her pads aren't too dry, which makes them smooth and slippery. Use Bag Balm or Musher's Secret to moisturize them at bedtime (when she won't try walking before it's dried) and that should give her a bit more grip.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

It's very common as slippery floors aren't something greyhounds come into contact with until they get adopted.

Some people use those glue-on nails caps, some rubber Paws booties or toddler socks with rubber grips on the bottoms, or make trails of runners and throw rugs where she usually travels.  There are now rugs available that you can wash in a home washer which might help with your partner's asthma - Ruggables, is one brand, but there are several now.  Washable carpet tiles like the ones from Flor are also an easily cleanable option.

As mentioned, keeping nails short and paw pads supple will help her feel less like a giraffe on a waxed floor.  You can encourage her with praise and treats once you're living there.  She may or may not become used to the slicker floors, but you can give it a shot to try and change her opinion!  ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Punkin has a terrible time on bare wood floors. Yoga mats make great paths throughout the house for her. I found nice ones at Marshall’s for about $10-12.  

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We replaced all t he carpet in our house with solid flooring.  We did choose flooring with a bit of texture.  We also bought runners to place on typical hound "flight paths".  This has worked well for my elderly boy and for my blind boy too.  I can also 2nd or 3rd the advice to keep nails short and pads moist.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Thanks so much for all the replies and tips, everyone! I usually use a grinder to keep my girl's nails as short as I can but I think they could be a little shorter. Will bring her to the groomer before we move in.

We also chose new laminate wood flooring with a little more texture than what's currently there. Seems like runners and yoga mats are the way to go to help build her confidence! Funnily enough, she never had a problem with wooden floors until she slipped on some very shiny laminate wood in my parents' house!

keep nails short- cut and dremel weekly

https://www.chewy.com/bio-groom-show-foot-anti-slip-dog/dp/291499?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12769807407&utm_content=Bio-Groom&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtvqVBhCVARIsAFUxcRvxQUBpsR3YlL91yNwiGUK8vshN5zOoiqyu55W5N9ZXBTV23KRBml0aAt9rEALw_wcB

there are also other products which are used in the show ring to prevent a dog from slipping. i would give this a try or something similar. rugs will cause a problem w/ your asthmatic roommate. the ultra thin neoprene runners do not hold dog hair and wash/vacuum well. sometime you can find them at home goods and they last for many years. i use them on the back seat of the car as a non-skid cover.  but here is a link to amazon https://www.amazon.com/Shape28-Runner-Ultra-Thin-Kitchen-Backing/dp/B08283KC17/ref=sr_1_26?crid=WJZJFRY29ERH&keywords=neoprene+floor+runner&qid=1656712019&sprefix=neoprene+floor+runner%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-26

i have not laminate but vinyl flooring with a great texture. i've had it for 10+ years now and love it.  https://www.armstrongflooring.com/residential/en-us/vinyl-flooring/luxury-vinyl-tile/luxe-plank-best.html  laminate wood does not wear as well nor withstand accidents. 

My lurcher Nutmeg hates my daughter’s laminate floors and the more she panics the more she scrabbles and slips. Last time we were there we had the same panic then later during the day I saw her turn around and come carefully backwards into the room until she reached the central rug when she turned around and walked up to me. Clever or what? :yay

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.