Regurgitation no other symptoms

Our Grey Girl Amy just started Regurgitating several times a weeks over the last 8 weeks.  Went on to daily and there was even a few days where she had runny stood and reluctant to eat.  So off to the vet = Expensive Vet (Exam, Xray/Ultrasound and Labs) found nothing.  Went on a home cooked diet chicken/beef and rice a few days then we switched to Small Batch Chicken (Pucks) which we warmed (she loved that) slowly started her regular kibble back in and although MUCH less regurgitating she still will bring up meals a few times a week.  She is still NOT 100% on her regular kibble diet. We are house sitting another dog in the household and they do get along but this other dog has only stayed a few days in the past and has been with us the 8 weeks as well.   Suggestions:  Stress from extra guest? Maybe Stool sample from Vet? Don't go back to kibble (suggestions of single serve ROOM TEMP food to use?) any help is much appreciated.

Does she eat her meals down quickly and then immediately hork them back up or is the vomiting delayed from the meal by more than an hour??  Does she want to re-feed on her vomited food or does she ignore it??  Gross I know, but they will avoid vomit if there's an illness.

Results of *recent* parasite fecal tests??

Just from your post I would speculate that she's eating super fast, either to protect her food from the guest or to get to the guests food faster to eat herself.  The faster they eat, the more air they swallow along with it, causing the need to get the air out and the food along with it.  So you might consider some different meal strategies if your guest is going to be there long term - eating in separate rooms or while crated, using a slow feeder for one or both dogs, feeding smaller meals more often.  Definitely supervise their meals to keep things calm and quiet while they're eating.

If you've been using the same protein source throughout this issue she could also have an intolerance to this protein.  You might try switching to a different but still bland protein, not too high in fat percentage.  I use and recommend Purina ProPlan Sensitive Stomach Salmon and Rice (there's also a turkey flavor).  Make sure the food you are feeding contains whole grains.  Persistent vomiting can be a symptom of heart issues caused by feeding boutique "grain-free" foods (Dilated Cardiomyopathy).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This could definitely be stress related with the other dog being in the house. You'll still have to rule out everything else though.  Greysmom has good info above. 

in addition to the above, I would definitely have fecal tests done for both dogs in case the boarder brought some type of parasite with them that is now affecting your dog.  Keep us updated on your progress. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Have you lost any socks lately?

My Jane was about 8 years old, and she'd been with me less than two months when she started vomiting after every meal. More than a month after the first episode, she barfed up a sock. Not a full ankle sock with a cuff; just one of those foot-covering little things. Ten days later, she barfed up a second one. (Lesson learned: I no longer drop my socks in the floor.)

After the first sock came back, she stopped vomiting her meals. Apparently, with my footwear in her stomach, she didn't have room for a cup and a half of kibble at mealtime. An ultrasound had revealed "something" (small, badly formed and unidentifiable) but the vet was concerned that he might be seeing a cancerous growth. She had kept eating the cup and a half every meal: the spirit was willing, but the stomach was...crowded. I was so worried about the weight she was losing that I had started feeding her less, more often. Instead of a cup and a half at mealtime, I cut her back to one cup, three times a day, and she was able to keep that down. And once she returned both socks, we went back to a cup and a half at mealtime.

The vomiting had been her only symptom. Peeing and pooping normally, and her appetite only declined after weeks; I think she was tired of vomiting all the time. But she got very affectionate. She was a broodbitch/queen-of-the-castle type in her first home and very independent, but once she started feeling bad, she got clingy and I'd wake up in the morning with her head on my shoulder. She recovered completely--although she became a total mama's girl. She's still going strong and had her 14th birthday last Friday.

Amy might not have eaten a sock, but it's possible she got into something she hasn't digested well. Perhaps try feeding her less food more often and see if that helps at all. Good luck to you both.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

10 hours ago, greysmom said:

Does she eat her meals down quickly and then immediately hork them back up or is the vomiting delayed from the meal by more than an hour??  Does she want to re-feed on her vomited food or does she ignore it??  Gross I know, but they will avoid vomit if there's an illness.

Just from your post I would speculate that she's eating super fast, either to protect her food from the guest or to get to the guests food faster to eat herself.  The faster they eat, the more air they swallow along with it, causing the need to get the air out and the food along with it.  So you might consider some different meal strategies if your guest is going to be there long term - eating in separate rooms or while crated, using a slow feeder for one or both dogs, feeding smaller meals more often.  Definitely supervise their meals to keep things calm and quiet while they're eating.

If you've been using the same protein source throughout this issue she could also have an intolerance to this protein.  You might try switching to a different but still bland protein, not too high in fat percentage.  I use and recommend Purina ProPlan Sensitive Stomach Salmon and Rice (there's also a turkey flavor).  Make sure the food you are feeding contains whole grains.  Persistent vomiting can be a symptom of heart issues caused by feeding boutique "grain-free" foods (Dilated Cardiomyopathy).

Thank you!  Our next step is the stool sample... had not thought that the puppy house guest brought something!!  And Amy is a sensitive soul and I am pretty sure its partially stress as well.  Great thought on the protein... we have always fed chicken and or duck so maybe since she is now ~8 she needs the blander protein.  She does not however eat fast.... has always been my slow eater!  =)

10 hours ago, greysmom said:

8 hours ago, KF_in_Georgia said:

Have you lost any socks lately?

My Jane was about 8 years old, and she'd been with me less than two months when she started vomiting after every meal. More than a month after the first episode, she barfed up a sock. Not a full ankle sock with a cuff; just one of those foot-covering little things. Ten days later, she barfed up a second one. (Lesson learned: I no longer drop my socks in the floor.)

After the first sock came back, she stopped vomiting her meals. Apparently, with my footwear in her stomach, she didn't have room for a cup and a half of kibble at mealtime. An ultrasound had revealed "something" (small, badly formed and unidentifiable) but the vet was concerned that he might be seeing a cancerous growth. She had kept eating the cup and a half every meal: the spirit was willing, but the stomach was...crowded. I was so worried about the weight she was losing that I had started feeding her less, more often. Instead of a cup and a half at mealtime, I cut her back to one cup, three times a day, and she was able to keep that down. And once she returned both socks, we went back to a cup and a half at mealtime.

The vomiting had been her only symptom. Peeing and pooping normally, and her appetite only declined after weeks; I think she was tired of vomiting all the time. But she got very affectionate. She was a broodbitch/queen-of-the-castle type in her first home and very independent, but once she started feeling bad, she got clingy and I'd wake up in the morning with her head on my shoulder. She recovered completely--although she became a total mama's girl. She's still going strong and had her 14th birthday last Friday.

Amy might not have eaten a sock, but it's possible she got into something she hasn't digested well. Perhaps try feeding her less food more often and see if that helps at all. Good luck to you both.

No socks... the X-ray / ultrasound ruled out thankfully any blockage.  

Ours just says "Adult" on it.  The kibbles are a bit bigger than 1/4 inch triangles.  The small breed is sort of the size of rabbit pellets, or alfalfa pellets used for horse feed - a little smaller than 1/4 inch.  None of my greyhounds have ever really chewed their kibbles.  And many with all their teeth removed eat just fine.

You may want to re-do the ultrasound if it was some weeks ago as time could be more revealing.  Also you can focus on her stomach more closely, rather than a general sort of scan for blockages of her whole digestive tract, in light of the above story.  And take a look at her esophagus as well.  Remember, organic substances like socks and food don't show up very well on xrays.  The US may be your best shot.

Good luck!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

PECID AC- at least 10mg prior to feeding. i always have the 20mg in the house, so that i what i use. it's for acid reflux.

if tummy is upset why not go for plain boiled white rice and chicken for a while. let things calm down and then slowly introduce a bland low fat kibble.

the sock theory is interesting- greyhounds can be a lot like goats!

I went through this a few months ago with my girl, Sox.  She would regurgitate her food mostly about 4 or so hours after eating. She would always want to re-eat what she regurgitated.  She had no other symptoms - always ready to eat, usual activity level, etc. We went to the vets and did all kinds of tests, all of which came back normal.  My vet suggested treated her for acid reflux and giving her famotidine (Pepcid) before her meals (she gets fed twice a day).  She gets 30 mg twice a day.

She has not regurgitated since we started the famotidine.

• 4 weeks later...

:grouphug  So not what you wanted to hear.  :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry.  Definitely not the outcome we all were hoping for for your family.  {{{hugs}}}

I’m so sorry for the diagnosis. Our first grey, Bailey, had this and we only had 24 more hours. I sincerely hope you have more quality time.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I am so sorry. :grouphug Lots of spoiling going on there :beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh, beautiful Amy. I am so heartbroken for this diagnosis. Hugs to you and Amy.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020